Potential mechanical issue please help!:(

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-14, 05:55 PM
Bambam350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential mechanical issue please help!:(

Hey all,

I am seriously freaking out as of right now. Basically I let a friend drive my is350 awd. He usually drives manual so I pretty much assumed he would be comfortable with tiptronic. I put the car in tiptronic at a red light and then he started to try and shift the gears as if it was a manual. He accidentally put the car into PARK as it was driving at about 50 km/h. This lasted for about 20 seconds before i was able to put the car back into Drive. Soon after we parked the car back into my garage;/. I am pretty worried as I know this isnt supposed to happen and I don't know how back the car could be messed up. I currently only have 500 km on the odometer. Any sort of input would be helpful and much appreciated.

Thanks
Old 05-28-14, 06:05 PM
IS3Fguy
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That did permanent damage to the engine unfortunately.
Old 05-28-14, 06:28 PM
jcheng
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought you couldn't put it into park without coming to a complete stop?
Old 05-28-14, 06:45 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

^^^ Thought so too.

OP: What happened when tranny was placed in Park at 50 km/hr? Did the car still move. Any loud noises? How did the car sound and tranny shift on the drive back to your garage?
Old 05-28-14, 06:45 PM
itsmike177
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Doesn't sound like he is a true "car person" even if he drives a manual. Seriously, who in their right mind would shift an automatic like a manual transmission, knowing 1) it's someone elses' brand new car and 2) the shift gate clearly isn't marked/notched like a manual trans.

Having that said, yes, you could shift into Park or even Reverse going at 50, 100, or 150mph. Selenoids should prevent the gears from engaging. If you heard some clacking while it was in Park, that was the parking pawl trying to engage. Shouldn't be any damage to the transmission, just don't do it often.
Old 05-28-14, 07:20 PM
Bambam350
Driver School Candidate

I can tell you guys for sure it is possible to shift into park while driving as I have just experienced it and corradoMR2 as soon as it was put into park all i heard where subtle clanking noises nothing too loud however you could tell something was wrong. The car continued at 50km/h however soon after i was able to shift into drive while sitting in the passenger. The functioned properly right after and it shifted quite normally. However I did hear a louder than usual clinking noise from the engine when i popped the hood while the car was on park. Do you guys also notice the engine having a loud clinking noise while the car is parked or is that just me? After the whole thing I took the car for a quick spin, the car seemed to shift properly and accelerate normally. I even drove with tiptronic normally. Should i get the dealer to check out the transmission at my next service?
Old 05-28-14, 08:03 PM
NebulaIS
Rookie

Is this person still your friend? I can see how it's possible...I was in 'M' mode but then parked the car and when I drove again thought I was still in 'M' but it was just in 'Drive'...accelerated and went to upshift using the console shifter and managed to push it into neutral. Thankfully didn't rev it high before i caught it
Old 05-28-14, 08:06 PM
jennypenny
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

holy crap..

you may have destroyed your clutch. please send to your dealer for a check.
Old 05-28-14, 08:31 PM
unowned
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

car shifts only to neutral unless you have the brake depressed
Old 05-28-14, 08:44 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

friendship over.
Old 05-28-14, 11:05 PM
3IS4ME
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by itsmike177
Doesn't sound like he is a true "car person" even if he drives a manual. Seriously, who in their right mind would shift an automatic like a manual transmission, knowing 1) it's someone elses' brand new car and 2) the shift gate clearly isn't marked/notched like a manual trans.
Not to mention there's no clutch pedal...
Old 05-29-14, 12:38 AM
finalhope
Rookie

Yo I've saw this guy posted another post stating his friend screw his car up in another situation. I have a feeling the OP is a troll lol.
Old 05-29-14, 12:40 AM
l5JLlll
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ouch!
reading that was so painful!
the possibility to shift to P while moving is is doable
bc in emergencies where u lose braking power u can use ur P shift position to stop the car
i know a friend of mine had to Shift his car into Park position when his breaks failed
and his car are still running fine gear wise but he lost the Park position shift and he had to replace some Part in the transmission.
i hope nothing serious happened to ur car
Old 05-29-14, 01:22 PM
L0ngJ0hn
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ummm, I wouldn't worry about it too much. At worst your car wont hold itself in park without the handbrake.
All park does (as stated above by itsmike177) is release a small pin that falls into a hole to lock the transmission.
The sound you heard was the pin jumping over the hole and may have worn it down a bit.
Test it out on a hill without the handbrake and make sure to use the handbrake from now on to be safe

Last edited by L0ngJ0hn; 05-29-14 at 01:23 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-29-14, 07:11 PM
Bambam350
Driver School Candidate

thanks guys for your feedback, eased my mind and im trying to forget about it lol. my car feels and drives the same and it is a lease so I guess its not a horrible thing. safe to say no ones gonna be driving the IS for a while other than myself

Quick Reply: Potential mechanical issue please help!:(