IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Dealers deception

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-14, 12:46 PM
bp044
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealers deception

I am trying very hard to purchase a 350F Sport. I am reasonably flexible on paint color and interior color.I will take AWD or RWD. The one option I want besides navigation is the pre collision system.
Several dealers have listed on their inventory list more than car optioned the way I want. I send a purchase inquiry. They phone me to tell me it is not available and proceed with the old bait and switch. Then they offer to special order the car , warning me about the 3 to 4 month wait.
I know they have a desirable product, but this is no way to enhance Toyotas reputation
Old 05-28-14, 01:22 PM
theoryguy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lexus of Rockville in MD has it, try to deal with them directly or see if a local dealer is willing to do a dealer swap with them. Most are as long at the dealership is with 200-300 miles.
Old 05-28-14, 01:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

If you call Lexus of Rockville ask for Kirby Wheldon. He's the e-sales manager and sold me my GS. Real stand up guy.
Old 05-28-14, 07:00 PM
toyotatom
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

The dealer inventory list is next to worthless on their websites, my dealer right now shows 71 IS 250/350 cars on site, if they more than 3 I be shocked. The dealer may be honest with you and not have the car there that you desire.

Originally Posted by bp044
I am trying very hard to purchase a 350F Sport. I am reasonably flexible on paint color and interior color.I will take AWD or RWD. The one option I want besides navigation is the pre collision system.
Several dealers have listed on their inventory list more than car optioned the way I want. I send a purchase inquiry. They phone me to tell me it is not available and proceed with the old bait and switch. Then they offer to special order the car , warning me about the 3 to 4 month wait.
I know they have a desirable product, but this is no way to enhance Toyotas reputation
Old 05-28-14, 07:12 PM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The cars you see online may be on the lot, on their way to the dealer, or still in Japan! They are vehicles which have been allocated to the dealer and not necessarily on their lot.
Old 05-28-14, 07:23 PM
toyotatom
Intermediate

I agree with you, not sure why the dealers don't show what's on the lot. I looked at the inventory of the dealer mentioned in this thread and it shows 155 ES 350's. 71 is 250/350, 68 GS350's, 94 RX350's and 35 LS460's. I looked at the place on Google earth and I don't see that kind of room for that many cars to be stored there. The chance of the OP finding that car he is looking here for is pretty slim. He may get lucky

Originally Posted by moose66
The cars you see online may be on the lot, on their way to the dealer, or still in Japan! They are vehicles which have been allocated to the dealer and not necessarily on their lot.
Old 05-28-14, 08:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The inventory online is also not necessarily at that dealer, it's in the region. So you may be looking at one dealer, but be seeing the same cars over and over again and they are at different dealers.
Old 05-28-14, 08:53 PM
theoryguy3
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by toyotatom
I agree with you, not sure why the dealers don't show what's on the lot. I looked at the inventory of the dealer mentioned in this thread and it shows 155 ES 350's. 71 is 250/350, 68 GS350's, 94 RX350's and 35 LS460's. I looked at the place on Google earth and I don't see that kind of room for that many cars to be stored there. The chance of the OP finding that car he is looking here for is pretty slim. He may get lucky
The dealer's ad seems pretty real to me on Cars.com seem pretty real to me and on the dealer's lot. It can't hurt to call and find out for sure.

http://3df.pod0.sister.tv/3df/3df-di...ource=copylink

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...nal&listType=1
Old 05-28-14, 10:10 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe Pre Collision only comes with Adaptive Cruise Control which isn't common option dealer typically get. Most of the 3IS seems to come with Blind Side Monitoring and Rear Cross Traffic Alert but not PCS & ACC. I had to special order mine to get these along with rear shade, power tilt and telescopic steering wheels and RWD with VGRS which took 3 months.

Good luck!
Old 05-29-14, 04:00 AM
toyotatom
Intermediate

I think the car was ordered by a customer and the deal fell through or something, the AWD gets the things that you mentioned most of the time.

Originally Posted by SonyHome
I believe Pre Collision only comes with Adaptive Cruise Control which isn't common option dealer typically get. Most of the 3IS seems to come with Blind Side Monitoring and Rear Cross Traffic Alert but not PCS & ACC. I had to special order mine to get these along with rear shade, power tilt and telescopic steering wheels and RWD with VGRS which took 3 months.

Good luck!
Old 05-29-14, 04:21 AM
toyotatom
Intermediate

I said he might get lucky and find the car, my point was is I think the original OP was under the impression that the dealer inventory list shows what they have on site and that is not the case at all. He called the dealers deceitful, when that may not be the case, the web site inventory may be deceitful but Im not sure if Lexus makes them do it that way or what. You are redirected to another web site when you click on the dealer inventory which is odd. The dealers keep their own inventory for used cars but not new cars. The OP was from NY I believe and from what I can remember any one from NY that wanted a RWD car had to order it. Pre collision in an AWD car would have to ordered for sure. There is a good chance the OP when he checked dealer inventory in NY, he found the car at the Maryland dealer but didn't know it. That's a pretty rare car an AWD with pre-collision

Originally Posted by theoryguy3
The dealer's ad seems pretty real to me on Cars.com seem pretty real to me and on the dealer's lot. It can't hurt to call and find out for sure.

http://3df.pod0.sister.tv/3df/3df-di...ource=copylink

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...nal&listType=1
Old 05-29-14, 04:23 AM
toyotatom
Intermediate

I wonder what the reason is for that, I can't think of one

Originally Posted by SW13GS
The inventory online is also not necessarily at that dealer, it's in the region. So you may be looking at one dealer, but be seeing the same cars over and over again and they are at different dealers.
Old 05-29-14, 06:17 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

For the longest time you couldn't search online for inventory with Lexus at all. I think tech wise they are just really behind...website...inventory,,,dealer sites...etc. in shopping g for the Jeep we just bought, I can see every jeep at every dealer and it's real time. Much better.
Old 05-29-14, 07:16 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I heard years ago there was a company (related to Toyota/Lexus) responsible for distribution of the vehicles. Sort of like a middle man between the factory and the dealerships. Those distributors work a specific region. That could explain seeing cars for a specific region and not specifically for a dealer.
Old 05-29-14, 10:41 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by moose66
I heard years ago there was a company (related to Toyota/Lexus) responsible for distribution of the vehicles. Sort of like a middle man between the factory and the dealerships. Those distributors work a specific region. That could explain seeing cars for a specific region and not specifically for a dealer.
Yes that company is TMS / Lexus USA Regional offices.. (not a 3rd party)

There are 4 regions in the USA.. Western, Southern, Central & Eastern area offices.

They listen to what their dealerships need and package the cars accordingly for their Regional dealerships..

~ Joe Z

Quick Reply: Dealers deception