IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

My Annoyance After One Week

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-14, 08:59 AM
DJ90
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol tell me which car wouldnt have this problem if sunlight is directly passing through the sunroof?!
Old 05-23-14, 10:12 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ90
lol tell me which car wouldnt have this problem if sunlight is directly passing through the sunroof?!
It doesn't happen on my RX. It didn't happen on my TSX, and nor did it happen on my 4Runner. The contrast on the cluster of those was enough to still be brighter than the direct sunlight. Numerous posters here have also stated it doesn't happen on the F Sport cluster.
Old 05-23-14, 12:09 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
It doesn't happen on my RX. It didn't happen on my TSX, and nor did it happen on my 4Runner. The contrast on the cluster of those was enough to still be brighter than the direct sunlight. Numerous posters here have also stated it doesn't happen on the F Sport cluster.
I think it is more related to the type of screen technology being used. The LCD in the middle of the instrument cluster in non F Sport takes the biggest hit for the glare problem. I was surprised by the glare problem in my non F Sport IS as well. It is unrelated to whether the sunroof shade is blocked or open. Glad that when the problem occurs, the tachometer and the speedometer are still readable.

On the other hand, the RX or the 2nd Gen IS where the middle display is monochrome, the problem did not occur.

Now for the F Sport IS, Lexus has used TFT for the screen and so the glare problem is not a major issue because of different screen technology has been used. Based on this observation, I would think Lexus created interior for the F Sport model first and then converted the instrument cluster to a traditional one for the non F Sport one and overlooked the glare problem.

Now it would be interesting to see if the glare exists in the upcoming RC and NX where it shares a similar layout -- instrument cluster with a display in the middle. RC-F may not have this problem because the LFA-styled speedometer/tachmeter is fixed in the middle.
Old 05-23-14, 05:12 PM
Briitini
Rookie

I've had 8 cars in 11 years and this is the only one that has had it happen. I did notice in happening when I would NOT have the sunroof open, but just the direct light from the window. I turned the brightness up this am and didn't notice it AS BAD. I will keep testing it. Tomorrow I'll drive with the sunroof open and see.
Old 05-23-14, 09:24 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

It's infrequent enough when it all lines up and becomes an issue, so I don't worry about it too much. It's an annoyance indeed, but not enough to detract from the positive ownership experience.
Old 05-23-14, 10:44 PM
Briitini
Rookie

It's infrequent enough when it all lines up and becomes an issue, so I don't worry about it too much. It's an annoyance indeed, but not enough to detract from the positive ownership experience.
I agree It is the only annoyance I have and that says a lot!!
Old 05-24-14, 05:26 PM
Briitini
Rookie

Well I wont have this problem anymore because I ended up going back to the dealer and getting a ultra white f sport because I HATEDDDDDD the color black.
Old 05-28-14, 05:06 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Briitini
Well I wont have this problem anymore because I ended up going back to the dealer and getting a ultra white f sport because I HATEDDDDDD the color black.
Did they take the car back our did you had to trade it in? If they took it back that is very surprising since I didn't think they do that after car gets registered in your name.

I have Black/Rioja Red IS350 F-Sport and love it and I don't mind the little upkeep to obtain the results. My wife is also insisting on Black MDX but I know she won't take care of it.
Old 05-28-14, 07:14 PM
IS3FIDY
Driver School Candidate

My annoyance....F'n Lexus App Suite. Always have to connect and reconnect to my iPhone 😡
Old 05-29-14, 05:14 AM
Briitini
Rookie

Originally Posted by SonyHome
Did they take the car back our did you had to trade it in? If they took it back that is very surprising since I didn't think they do that after car gets registered in your name.

I have Black/Rioja Red IS350 F-Sport and love it and I don't mind the little upkeep to obtain the results. My wife is also insisting on Black MDX but I know she won't take care of it.
They actually took it back I just couldn't deal with the dirt. White gets dirty also, but nothing compares to black. I am a little obsessive about my car and wasn't a fan. It also helps that 2 people in the dealership told me no to ordering one AND to getting one from another dealership. I was extremely stressed out when I went in and was pretty upset. They made it right, thank god.
Old 05-29-14, 05:45 AM
JB5674
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Get you windows tinted and dont forget the tint on your sunroof. I havent had this problem to date on my 350 Fpsort. Tinted since day 1