IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Those with Pre Collision System be careful...

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-14, 01:12 AM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

ive had my PCS system bark at me a couple times, but it has always been in construction zones when the road barrier cones are close to the car and usually when turning while accelerating.
but I've discovered if you don't drive like an *** and put other peoples live at risk, PCS stays quiet and does nothing.
so i guess the moral of the story is if your driving in such a way to set it off, your not only a nuisance to other drivers, but your dangerous.
why not slow down? your just as guilty if you are passing people on the right. its actually more against the law to overtake on the right than it is to drive a mile per hour under the limit on the left. let the cops enforce the traffic laws and try to curb your anger. yes they are doing wrong, but your weaving around them doesn't make it right and doesn't teach them a lesson. it just makes you look stupid.
or if you have to pass someone do it when it's safe and you have plenty of room, not on a busy highway with all the lanes packed and people merging.
i went through a drivers safety class once because i got a ticket doing stuff just like you.

one thing i learned is they had us do an exercise with a calculator over a 10 mile trip.
driving the speed limit of 65 average verses 70 mph saves you just about 1 minute over the same distance. so isn't it easier to leave a minute sooner and arrive at the same time without having to speed past every one and zip in and out of traffic and pissing everyone off?
all the people your passing are thinking exactly that. it's not because they are stupid or don't know how to drive. in fact 90% of them have more years on the road experience than you do and have learned how to prioritize their lives knowing traffic might be heavy on their daily commute to work.
they are all pissed off watching people drive too fast, cut people off and make an *** out of themselves.
Old 12-08-14, 04:30 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

People that get false warnings, what's your sensitivity on? Try near instead of far or whatever the preferences say. That way it won't be so ready to intervene.

Last edited by sick21; 12-08-14 at 06:05 AM.
Old 12-08-14, 05:25 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bass Mech
ive had my PCS system bark at me a couple times, but it has always been in construction zones when the road barrier cones are close to the car and usually when turning while accelerating. but I've discovered if you don't drive like an *** and put other peoples live at risk, PCS stays quiet and does nothing. so i guess the moral of the story is if your driving in such a way to set it off, your not only a nuisance to other drivers, but your dangerous. why not slow down? your just as guilty if you are passing people on the right. its actually more against the law to overtake on the right than it is to drive a mile per hour under the limit on the left. let the cops enforce the traffic laws and try to curb your anger. yes they are doing wrong, but your weaving around them doesn't make it right and doesn't teach them a lesson. it just makes you look stupid. or if you have to pass someone do it when it's safe and you have plenty of room, not on a busy highway with all the lanes packed and people merging. i went through a drivers safety class once because i got a ticket doing stuff just like you. one thing i learned is they had us do an exercise with a calculator over a 10 mile trip. driving the speed limit of 65 average verses 70 mph saves you just about 1 minute over the same distance. so isn't it easier to leave a minute sooner and arrive at the same time without having to speed past every one and zip in and out of traffic and pissing everyone off? all the people your passing are thinking exactly that. it's not because they are stupid or don't know how to drive. in fact 90% of them have more years on the road experience than you do and have learned how to prioritize their lives knowing traffic might be heavy on their daily commute to work. they are all pissed off watching people drive too fast, cut people off and make an *** out of themselves.
You've got some valid points. I also believe it is something to do with the style of driving. If PCS has to slam the brakes on a highway when the traffic is not actually slowed down to a crawl, it is very dangerous. Many years ago, I literally saw a car on a highway where it tried to merge in an adjacent lane but the driver didn't have enough distance in front of him. And he slammed into the the car in the front.
Old 12-08-14, 05:25 AM
IS3F
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AndyL
Could you tell us exactly what happened? Did the PCS kick in and slam the brakes when the distance between you and the car ahead of you too close because you were changing lane? Or the vehicle in front of you had slowed down significantly?

The red "brake" warning happened twice on a city road.

The first one was when the car in front of me made a right turn to a plaza and PCS thought I would collide into it, despite there was at least 3-4 cars distance and I was traveling around 60km.h. . Probably I didn't slow down and changed the lane quick enough and the speed difference between my car and the car ahead of me (who was about to make a right turn into a plaza) has triggered the PCS. In that case, it didn't slam the brake as I slowed down a the back of the car which made the turn.

On the 2nd occasion, it was a false alarm -- I was on a twisty road on the left lane and there is another car approaching on the opposite lane. Maybe some reflection made the sensors think the car would collide me but in fact it was a normal scenario where two cars pass each other on opposite lanes.
It actually happened to me after I had changed lanes. I had a space with enough room for me to fit and the vehicle next (behind) was letting me go after I had my signal on. I increased my speed to pass and safely made the lane change with plenty of room. The problem arose as I was already in the new lane. It could be that the person in front of me in the lane I left slowed down or something but I think the fact that the car did it TOO late is where the danger arises. I was already in my new lane and accelerating when the car decided to override me and slow down.

Maybe it's just me but I don't think I'm ready for a car that overrides driver input. Clearly this technology isn't as advanced as it should be. As a human I can take into consideration variables (such as being given a go ahead from another driver) that the car cannot.

I will likely turn it off but would like to potentially decrease sensitivity as someone mentioned - I didn't know that was possible.

Also if I turn it off, does it disable the beeping entirely or is it just the override part I can switch off.

I also couldn't care less what that 'tool' is going off about. I know to drive safely but sometimes evasive moves can be needed. Those are some of the times that this system can go off and OVERRIDE. That is MUCH more dangerous than driving fast or closer to someone as 99% of the population isn't trained to expect PCM interference like this. That driver I jammed my brakes on probably thought I was trying to cause an accident.
Old 12-08-14, 07:24 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by AdvanSLF
You're right about them effing VA drivers.. effing all a pain in my A$$!!!! i commute about 3 hours a day round trip and i swear i'll have a heart attack one of these days from so man damn dumba$$ va drivers on the road (slow int he left lane, cutting in front of you then going slow, leaving 3 or more car lengths in between them to the car in front..it just goes on)

oh yeah.. back to PCS, thats the exact thing my wife said (the scenario) during the time we purchased the car.. we opted NOT to get PCS for that exact reason!!!!!!!! glad i don't have that stupid crap! i swear it will cause more hazards then help! can't you turn it off btw like BSM?
I lived in VA for a few years and there are tons of bad drivers there. The thing that blew my mind was when I would be accelerating to merge on to the interstate and the person in front of me would stop instead of yield at the end of the onramp.

Collision avoidance sounds like an option I'm glad not to have.
Old 12-10-14, 02:30 AM
jeffyffej
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is probably why they took the option out for 2015 IS F-sports. I used to think it was a good thing to have PCS, but now I'm not so sure after hearing all these close call stories.
Old 12-11-14, 04:13 PM
crazych42
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Bass Mech
ive had my PCS system bark at me a couple times, but it has always been in construction zones when the road barrier cones are close to the car and usually when turning while accelerating.
but I've discovered if you don't drive like an *** and put other peoples live at risk, PCS stays quiet and does nothing.
so i guess the moral of the story is if your driving in such a way to set it off, your not only a nuisance to other drivers, but your dangerous.
why not slow down? your just as guilty if you are passing people on the right. its actually more against the law to overtake on the right than it is to drive a mile per hour under the limit on the left. let the cops enforce the traffic laws and try to curb your anger. yes they are doing wrong, but your weaving around them doesn't make it right and doesn't teach them a lesson. it just makes you look stupid.
or if you have to pass someone do it when it's safe and you have plenty of room, not on a busy highway with all the lanes packed and people merging.
i went through a drivers safety class once because i got a ticket doing stuff just like you.

one thing i learned is they had us do an exercise with a calculator over a 10 mile trip.
driving the speed limit of 65 average verses 70 mph saves you just about 1 minute over the same distance. so isn't it easier to leave a minute sooner and arrive at the same time without having to speed past every one and zip in and out of traffic and pissing everyone off?
all the people your passing are thinking exactly that. it's not because they are stupid or don't know how to drive. in fact 90% of them have more years on the road experience than you do and have learned how to prioritize their lives knowing traffic might be heavy on their daily commute to work.
they are all pissed off watching people drive too fast, cut people off and make an *** out of themselves.
Do you drive in traffic with many other drivers who don't drive very well in heavy traffic? If you don't I wouldn't be so quick to judge. There are many scenarios where the PCS could intervene and cause problems even if you are just "slowing down" and following in line as you say. Changing lanes to make a turn or exit the freeway can trigger the PCS if the vehicle in front of you in the lane you are merging from slows down suddenly causing your nice new IS to brake hard in front of another vehicle that is tailgating you and not expecting it. I won't even talk about the false triggers for railroad signs and such. The PCS is a work in progress and so is radar cruise. The systems in the new Mercedes E350 are much better but they have more experience with it than Lexus. My choice is to turn it off than risk an accident caused by it.