IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Those with Pre Collision System be careful...

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-14, 12:40 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I saw that as well, and funny enough, it's listed in the owner's manual as one of the conditions that can trigger it (as is the situation noted in the original post of this thread):
That's a lot of situations. I definitely want adaptive cruise in my next vehicle but would keep the PCS off for sure.
Old 05-22-14, 04:59 PM
crazych42
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
No, not over on the side. I mean way, way down by your feet. You pretty much have to stick your head down in the footwell to see it. I tried to take a photo. It's by your TPMS reset button.
Wow, that button is really hidden! Thanks for the pic with location. I could not find it! Well the PCS is going OFF. It happened again today but I was able to minimize it because I was able to react to it. I changed lanes behind a slow moving truck hauling a trailer and it kicked in once again right after I changed lanes. I can confirm that tapping the brakes disengages it, but I felt stupid brake checking cars I just slammed on brakes in front of.

I also read the owner's manual and the list of things that could trigger the PCS is not worth it IMHO. There are way too many situations that could trigger it. It says that if the closing speed is greater than 10mph and if it believes there will be a collision it could be triggered. I wish I would have read that part sooner....
Old 07-18-14, 11:00 PM
SlangBlade
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can anyone tell me if you get this option and disable PCS, does it stay off? And adaptive cruise is always on when cruise is on, right (regardless of PCS being off)?

Also, is this a common option or more of a special order option?
Old 07-19-14, 03:02 AM
OrionLex
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...just wanted to say thanks for this thread - I plan to equip my 2015 IS with the "Dynamic Radar Cruise Control with Pre-Collision System" because the variable cruise control would be valuable to me, but this scenario of PCS interfering with slightly aggressive driving sounds pretty scary to me! Glad the two features can be enabled/disabled independently!
Old 07-20-14, 07:31 AM
IS3F
Driver

Thanks for posting this. I had no idea that it could break for you. I've had mine flash and warn a few times when overtaking. Great to know that it can jump in and override.
Old 07-21-14, 05:47 PM
crazych42
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SlangBlade
Can anyone tell me if you get this option and disable PCS, does it stay off? And adaptive cruise is always on when cruise is on, right (regardless of PCS being off)?

Also, is this a common option or more of a special order option?
Yes, you can disable PCS and it will stay off. Radar cruise still works.

Radar cruise with PCS is a special order option primarily. I had to special order mine as there were not many available in my area (east coast) with this option.
Old 07-21-14, 05:51 PM
crazych42
Pole Position

Glad I could help educate some folks. All has been well with the PCS OFF.

The radar cruise though is awesome and I highly recommend it!
Old 12-06-14, 04:50 AM
IS3F
Driver

This finally happened to me yesterday. The car slams the brakes. I'm very fortunate that the person behind me didn't rear end me but I'm seriously considering turning this off now
Old 12-06-14, 05:34 AM
faisal11ir
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok it's off now I'm scared.... I've seen it beeping and giving me the Brake warning but never triggered now I know it can get me rear ended

Last edited by faisal11ir; 12-06-14 at 05:38 AM.
Old 12-07-14, 06:51 AM
IS3F
Driver

I was there before..

After this incident my entire dynamic in driving the car has changed. That beep now leaves me **** scared because I don't know at which point does it decide that beeping isn't enough and switch to JAMMING the brakes. It is quite alarming and I rarely brake that hard unless I'm almost hitting something. This happened to me on the highway where I was going about 120km/h
Old 12-07-14, 09:34 AM
faisal11ir
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by IS3F
I was there before..

After this incident my entire dynamic in driving the car has changed. That beep now leaves me **** scared because I don't know at which point does it decide that beeping isn't enough and switch to JAMMING the brakes. It is quite alarming and I rarely brake that hard unless I'm almost hitting something. This happened to me on the highway where I was going about 120km/h
Turn it off better man.
Old 12-07-14, 11:01 AM
DreamAce7
Driver School Candidate

I was there before..

You could turn it off and the button is located under the steering wheel column, or you could look it up on your manual.
Old 12-07-14, 02:27 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

This finally happened to me yesterday. The car slams the brakes. I'm very fortunate that the person behind me didn't rear end me but I'm seriously considering turning this off now
Could you tell us exactly what happened? Did the PCS kick in and slam the brakes when the distance between you and the car ahead of you too close because you were changing lane? Or the vehicle in front of you had slowed down significantly?

The red "brake" warning happened twice on a city road.

The first one was when the car in front of me made a right turn to a plaza and PCS thought I would collide into it, despite there was at least 3-4 cars distance and I was traveling around 60km.h. . Probably I didn't slow down and changed the lane quick enough and the speed difference between my car and the car ahead of me (who was about to make a right turn into a plaza) has triggered the PCS. In that case, it didn't slam the brake as I slowed down a the back of the car which made the turn.

On the 2nd occasion, it was a false alarm -- I was on a twisty road on the left lane and there is another car approaching on the opposite lane. Maybe some reflection made the sensors think the car would collide me but in fact it was a normal scenario where two cars pass each other on opposite lanes.
Old 12-07-14, 04:18 PM
IS350SWFL
Rookie

Exactly why i won't get a car with PCS
Old 12-07-14, 08:37 PM
DreamAce7
Driver School Candidate

my PCS always kicks in whenever im on a curve close to the rail, and just ignore it.

Quick Reply: Those with Pre Collision System be careful...