IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Downsides of AWD

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-14, 03:07 PM
JGard18
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like others have said, tires make a bigger difference than drivetrain in the winter. I have had multiple Miatas and RX7s while living in Boston and had no problem driving them year round. I'd buy a set of cheap wheels for the winter, have snow tires mounted to them, and then I could do the swaps every fall/spring myself in about 30 minutes.

In all my years of winter driving, with snow tires on RWD, I've never had a problem getting somewhere.
Old 05-20-14, 03:45 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Everyone listed the differences with AWD so nothing much else to add from a technical standpoint. An advantage you may have is knowing the dealers have AWDs in stock but no RWDs. Use that to negotiate you really want the RWD but would "settle" for AWD provided the deal is right. Dealers want to move their stock so you may actually get one similarly priced to a RWD.
Old 05-20-14, 05:10 PM
dashmer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FSPORTJC
Staggered set up for wheels isn't all that recommended for AWD..
My AWD 350 came with a staggered setup from the factory...
Old 05-20-14, 05:50 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

You also can't get power tilt and telescopic steering wheels on the F-Sport unless you go with RWD. Even without memory feature when you power off the car steering wheel retracts and comes back to your set position when you start the car again.
Old 05-20-14, 08:14 PM
akshunj
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dashmer
My AWD 350 came with a staggered setup from the factory...
Same here.

Also interesting that a few comments in this thread suggest tires are better than AWD in the snow. If this is the case then why does my AWD IS make it up my driveway in the snow, but the Mrs. can't with FWD and snow tires? I'll take the AWD over the snow tires.
Old 05-20-14, 09:19 PM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No one said tires are better. They just matter more because they're your only contact to the ground... Not only winter tires are important, but the kind of tire is important too. What tires does your AWD have during winter?

On the other hand if someone lives in a mountainous area then AWD is a nobrainer. This is what your example shows. NYC however (just like Montreal) is mostly flat (correct me if I'm wrong).
Old 05-21-14, 05:46 AM
carderoni
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Not to harp too much on tires vs drivetrain, but a great example of AWD meaning nothing in the winter is Subaru pushing WRX STI's out of the factory on summer tires. A RWD IS with winter tires would handle winter precipitation better than that STI. Put some winter tires or good all seasons on that Subaru, though, and you've got the IS beat.
Old 05-21-14, 06:47 AM
theoryguy3
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I live in NY and would not have made it through winter without my AWD F-Sport. The biggest drawbacks I'd say is that you would get a lower mpg and a 6 speed trans vs an 8 speed. Not sure where in NY you live, but there are plenty by me. Depends which model you're looking for, I had to settle for a nonML package IS350 as there are few to be found and the once that can be found have a red interior. If you're ok with a regular F Sport with a cross blindspot monitor and navigation, you'll be fine. If you can wait, I'd get the ML package though.

Last edited by theoryguy3; 05-21-14 at 06:51 AM.
Old 05-21-14, 07:07 AM
CTLG
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NYKnick101
Inferior to maybe subaru audi but I think the toyota AWD is pretty decent IMO. I was driving in mounds of snowstorms with no problem this past winter getting to work when no one else could. The only thing that gets annoying is traction control which corrects alot harder than I thought. I lose traction, it quickly snaps it back into line almost jerking the car

Regardless of modifications to the car, the AWD 3IS has significantly better grip and handling than the RWD. The 8spd vs the 6spd is both a pro and con since alot of people complain that it shifts to quickly. The 6speed has been around for sometime and I actually like it. If your living in NY, the AWD is a no brainier after this past winter and the interior amenities are almost identical so that shouldn't be an issue. Just choose a path you want to go, More performance oriented or More Year Round reliability? Performance, I say keep looking for a RWD but year round reliability i would say AWD
Toyota's AWD is very simple. It's not very advanced and pretty much gets trampled by all of the other manufacturers in performance. Acura's SH-AWD followed by Mitsubishi's AWD (used in the Evolution X with yaw control/torque vectoring) are examples of the best systems in the industry. Acura's SH-AWD is superb in performance and all weather traction.
Old 05-21-14, 07:29 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

This thread, from the GS forum, explains the various AWD systems available today:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...e-germans.html
Old 05-21-14, 08:42 AM
JGard18
Pole Position

Originally Posted by akshunj
Same here.

Also interesting that a few comments in this thread suggest tires are better than AWD in the snow. If this is the case then why does my AWD IS make it up my driveway in the snow, but the Mrs. can't with FWD and snow tires? I'll take the AWD over the snow tires.
Because FWD is crap, too. When you're trying to accelerate (whether flat, but especially on a hill) all the weight of the car shifts to the rear wheels. If only the fronts are being driven, you basically have no weight on them and thus can't get any good traction.

This is why I'll never own a FWD car (among other reasons). It was done as a cost-savings thing by car manufacturers as well as to dumb down handling for all the idiot drivers out there, essentially forcing you to understeer if you blow a corner rather than oversteer, which is far harder to recover from.
Old 05-21-14, 12:55 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JGard18
Because FWD is crap, too. When you're trying to accelerate (whether flat, but especially on a hill) all the weight of the car shifts to the rear wheels. If only the fronts are being driven, you basically have no weight on them and thus can't get any good traction.

This is why I'll never own a FWD car (among other reasons). It was done as a cost-savings thing by car manufacturers as well as to dumb down handling for all the idiot drivers out there, essentially forcing you to understeer if you blow a corner rather than oversteer, which is far harder to recover from.
+1. Great summary of the disadvantages of FWD