IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Anger / Aggression / Road Rage?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-14, 09:45 AM
daobn24
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had the car for a month and it finally happened today on my way to work. A late model BMW 3 Series (not sure, debadged) sped up right next to me and started revving and doing quick speed spurts. I looked over, smiled and continued jamming to my tunes. KCCO.
Old 05-12-14, 10:48 AM
Lost808
Pole Position

I havn't had anyone try to race me or bait me in my wifes IS, but I do get it all the time in my 13 Z and in my Evo IX. The Evo has to be the worst race attraction car I have owned......
Old 05-12-14, 01:48 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wanting to race aside, anyone notice increased confrontation likelihood, verbal or otherwise, which is what I'm referring to?
Old 05-12-14, 02:00 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I've had mine for about 7 months now. I get a lot of thumbs up, looks, and compliments, but confrontations? No, not even one, at least so far.
Old 05-12-14, 02:04 PM
IS3Fguy
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dbs600
Wanting to race aside, anyone notice increased confrontation likelihood, verbal or otherwise, which is what I'm referring to?
You live in an unusual neighbourhood maybe. I don't think it's the car.
Old 05-12-14, 02:35 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by IS3Fguy
You live in an unusual neighbourhood maybe. I don't think it's the car.
Uptick with the IS, not noticed with my other cars.
Old 05-12-14, 03:39 PM
DizzyEdge
Driver School Candidate

Shoot, just yesterday, some dude in a V6 Camaro speed up beside me looked at my car and took off.
Just to have some fun....At the next light, I sped up and got in front of him right before the two lanes merged..I left plenty of space between us. I was going around 90 at that point & we were back to one lane.

Dude got so pissed (or was trying to show off for a chick) that he sped up and got on the tight shoulder at over 100 to pass me up.
I slowed down since the dude was that crazy & let him pass.
He almost hit the car in front of us & swung back to the right shoulder almost hitting the railing & then got in front of that car.

Crazy..i thought for sure he was gonna crash into something.
Old 05-12-14, 04:34 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

I don't think it's our cars more than people drive like maniacs all over. You got some people driving super slow on fast lanes and then you have those that are on your rear pushing you even when going 5+ MPH over limit. You move out of the way and they slow down and go the same speed you were!
Old 05-12-14, 05:51 PM
ISISGUY
Rookie

Originally Posted by Glashub
Nothing out of the ordinary here in LA where even some old ladies in Priuses drive like Jeff Gordon.
Originally Posted by SonyHome
I don't think it's our cars more than people drive like maniacs all over. You got some people driving super slow on fast lanes and then you have those that are on your rear pushing you even when going 5+ MPH over limit. You move out of the way and they slow down and go the same speed you were!
Agree with both!!

I think it's relative too, I had a modded RSX Type S and get way less attention now as fas as people wanting to race. I def get way more looks so I would say just a different type of attention now. Which is kinda nice.
Old 05-13-14, 07:07 AM
FSPORTJC
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had a couple Audi S4s trying to race me lol.. I don't even bother since they probably don't know how slow the 3iS really is.. haha
Old 05-13-14, 09:01 AM
hovik92
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow this post is so timely! Today two different cars pulled over for me to pass! One was a Civic SI and one was a newer BMW 535i. I was not tailgating or even that close. I was very surprised. This never happens in my GS or in my BMW 335i.
Old 05-13-14, 10:48 AM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by hovik92
Wow this post is so timely! Today two different cars pulled over for me to pass! One was a Civic SI and one was a newer BMW 535i. I was not tailgating or even that close. I was very surprised. This never happens in my GS or in my BMW 335i.
Don't drive the IS everyday, but since Day 1 noticed an uptick in difficulty with others.

And, reason why I posted:

Like you, two interactions in one day (Nissan Maxima and Hummer H2), this past Sunday.

Last edited by dbs600; 05-13-14 at 12:55 PM.
Old 05-13-14, 11:13 AM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

On longer freeway drives, I have the whole family with me in the car and I don't drive like douche, endangering them. When insecure chumps (in need of validation in their lives) in inferior hoopties try to tailgate, incite a race or whatever, I just keep my eyes on the road (like I should) and just keep cruising down the road. Even at stoplights, other muscle cars won't race me...it's the young dudes in the Civics, 3-series and other "disposable" track cars that want to test me.

Sorry kiddies, I got bills to pay and people to support.

/shrugs
Old 05-13-14, 11:52 AM
yellow2112
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I drove a Signal Yellow 425 hp Toyota MR2 around for about 8 years (sold it last year). This two seater was a huge head turner, especially since it was such a nice yellow, not the orangy kind you see around today. The car was lowered, rims, not ricey. It looked fast and had the power to back it up.

I got so used to people revving at lights, tailgating, impatience (as well as compliments) in that car that I know exactly what the OP is talking about. Theres a modern phrase that works well, "haters gonna hate" that seems to fit this mentality.

Now, after selling that car about 2 years ago, I do notice this a little bit in the 3IS but not nearly significant as in the Toyota.
Old 05-13-14, 12:19 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I have not noticed any difference. People are generally just bad drivers. That was true when I drove my GS daily and it's true when I drive the IS. .

Quick Reply: Anger / Aggression / Road Rage?