IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Hit a pothole on highway, 0 air pressure in about 2 mins. How to check suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-14, 06:09 AM
doctorttt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hit a pothole on highway, 0 air pressure in about 2 mins. How to check suspension?

It's my first time experiencing a flat tire after hitting a pothole. I was on the Long Island Expressway in Queens, NY on Saturday evening after watching The Amazing Spiderman 2. It was about 12:15 AM, and there were still a lot of cars on the road. (and they were fast!!!) I wasn't aware and hit a pothole, and I immediately heard a loud "BANG" noise from the left wheel. I switched on the tire pressure indicator on the dashboard right afterward, and the air pressure started decreasing. Luckily, I was able to find an exit early and pulled over on local road to check the car. I swapped out the flat tire with the spare and went home safely with my girlfriend.

* I was surprised that the Bridgestone Turanza was able to hold up with 0 air pressure, without letting the rim rolling and touching on the ground.

* Rim is fine - no bent, no scratch

* Took the wheel to a tire shop and discovered that there must be some sharp edges in the pothole, which teared the side of the tire for about 2 inches (right underneath the tip of the rim). Total replacement with installation - $290. Shop ordered a brand new tire (same model) and I will return on Monday to get the tire fixed.

1) How do I check whether the suspension is okay?

2) The tire pressure indicator on the gauge shows nothing now - all 4 wheels. I'm not sure what's going on. I still have the spare wheel on, so I'm not sure whether this is causing the issue.

3) Where is the tire pressure sensor located? When I return to the tire shop on Monday, will the tire guy know how to swap out the bad tire with the new one without messing up with the tire pressure sensor in there?

Last edited by doctorttt; 05-04-14 at 06:28 AM.
Old 05-04-14, 06:15 AM
finalhope
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly, you should have took it to the dealer, they know everything about your car. I did got a nail on my tire and went down to 8 PSI lol no damage on the rim, surprisingly. For your third question, maybe not, go to Lexus!
Old 05-04-14, 06:16 AM
doctorttt
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by finalhope
Honestly, you should have took it to the dealer, they know everything about your car.
How much will the dealer charge for checking for any potential damages to the suspension? I don't want them to charge me an arm and a leg. Can I just take it to a local mechanical shop?

Last edited by doctorttt; 05-04-14 at 06:24 AM.
Old 05-04-14, 06:21 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Originally Posted by finalhope
Honestly, you should have took it to the dealer, they know everything about your car. I did got a nail on my tire and went down to 8 PSI lol no damage on the rim, surprisingly. For your third question, maybe not, go to Lexus!
A tire shop is more than capable of mounting a new tire on the car and resetting the TPS. That's what they do all day, every day.

As for the sensors not working I'm sure it's because the spare is on. Try resetting the system.

As for the suspension...if it drives okay...it's okay.
Old 05-04-14, 06:33 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

need to get alignment checked and if needed adjusted on that one wheel
Old 05-04-14, 06:41 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'd just have the tire shop do a 4 wheel alignment when they mount the new tire.
Old 05-04-14, 06:51 AM
finalhope
Rookie

Tire shops are actually the ones who rips people off, I went to 3 different firestone once and they insisted they HAVE to replace my TPMS otherwise something would go wrong. Then I went to dealer and they replaced my tires laughing at firestone and that they were trying to make the extra $$ by BSING their customers. Maybe private tire shops wouldn't, but I believe the dealer wouldn't charge you twice the amount the work cost in a less reliable tire shop. Dealers charges more than outside shops because their service is about 99% reliable and you wouldn't need to worry about them damaging your car (noticeable cosmetic wise) while getting it service.

Last edited by finalhope; 05-04-14 at 07:03 AM.
Old 05-04-14, 07:13 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I have had Lexus dealers damage my car on multiple occasions, most recently this year. I've never had a tire shop damage a car. I've also never had a tire shop tell me a TPMS sensor had to be replaced. When I ask tire shops I've been to to please be careful about chipping wheels with impact wrenches, etc...they've always been careful. The dealer? Not so much. At the tire shop I can stand there and watch the job get done...can't at the dealer.

If you want to take it to the dealer, take it to the dealer...but any tire shop is more than capable of mounting and balancing tires on a Lexus. Obviously not all shops are created equal, as all dealers are not created equal. I wouldn't even consider having the dealer replace tires though.
Old 05-04-14, 07:35 AM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by doctorttt
3) Where is the tire pressure sensor located? When I return to the tire shop on Monday, will the tire guy know how to swap out the bad tire with the new one without messing up with the tire pressure sensor in there?
It's located on the other end of the valve. Shouldn't have to be replaced, unless it's been damaged.

Old 05-04-14, 02:59 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

@doctorttt sorry to hear about your tire but glad your rim wasnt damaged. Where did this happen on the LIE and in what direction were you going? im curious because i was driving home on the LIE at that same timeframe surprised i didnt see you lol, would have stopped to help. Also i want to know where it is because i am frequently on the LIE. From my personal experience, i hit a pothole a couple months ago and luckily all it did was throw off my alignment. Depending on the milege on your car your dealership can fix it under warranty thats what my dealership did for me. i definetly did not want to pay $150 for an alignment lol. But as for your suspension, the alignment machine is able to pick up bends on the car. so if you take it to a tireshop i highly reccomend STS tire center on hillside avenue right before lakeville road if that is an option for you. They are very experienced people and the shop is very nice, and not a run down tire shop lol. they are very honest and an alignment is only $90 i think. hope it all works out!
Old 05-04-14, 03:40 PM
nvbirdman
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should check the paperwork for your car to see if the tires are covered by a road hazard warranty.
Old 05-04-14, 07:07 PM
doctorttt
Lead Lap

Here is a pic of the tear.
Attached Thumbnails Hit a pothole on highway, 0 air pressure in about 2 mins. How to check suspension?-20140504_113119.jpg  
Old 05-04-14, 09:02 PM
kl576
Driver School Candidate

I actually experienced a similar incident on Wednesday except I was on the BQE and my brand new installed Velgen rim is cracked and bent. The dealer should be able to check the suspension for you for free. As for the TPMS it's because the spare wheel is on that's why it doesn't indicate anything. The TPMS is located on the rim so the tire guy wouldn't mess up with it when he switches the tires. Depends on which dealer you go to they can align it for you free of charge
Old 05-05-14, 12:04 AM
finalhope
Rookie

There is a one year free wheel alignment from Lexus.
Old 05-05-14, 04:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Wow...very lucky it didn't damage the wheel...

Quick Reply: Hit a pothole on highway, 0 air pressure in about 2 mins. How to check suspension?