IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Steering Wheel Torn

Old 05-03-14, 02:18 AM
finalhope
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Wheel Torn

Is there a way to repair torn leather wrap from the steering wheel?

I don't know how did this happen, but this is my first car that has happen like this. Hopefully its not because of the cheap sensitive material that is on this steering wheel.

Below is the picture of the tear in the leather wrap on the steering wheel.
Attached Thumbnails Steering Wheel Torn-img_5187.jpg  
Old 05-03-14, 06:05 PM
drive90
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had the same problem with my current 3rd Gen IS and previous two 2nd Gen ISs. Lexus cheaps out on the material they use for the steering wheels; they scratch very easily.
Old 05-04-14, 01:25 AM
mike927
Driver School Candidate

Per discussion with a Lexus rep, they like to make the leather on their steering wheel soft for the customer's comfort. To me that is total BS as leather should be durable and feel better as it ages.

Would possibly leather repair products like Saphir products used on calfskin leather shoes work on the nuluxe leather Lexus uses?
Old 05-04-14, 02:42 AM
jennypenny
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Lexus has the softest steering wheels. Which is something I like a lot, it's not that durable but feels good

The more durable ones shine which makes it look cheap.

My opinion though
Old 05-04-14, 02:52 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts

The majority of steering wheel scratches are located at the bottom 7 o'clock. This is almost always from getting in and out of the car and having a belt buckle or something sharp or hard in the pocket brush against the wheel as one moves in and out. I have learned this the hard way over the years and now make a conscious effort to think about my movements as I get in and out. Made a big difference. You'd all be surprised how much we hit the wheel for this movement.
Old 05-04-14, 04:09 AM
finalhope
Rookie

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The majority of steering wheel scratches are located at the bottom 7 o'clock. This is almost always from getting in and out of the car and having a belt buckle or something sharp or hard in the pocket brush against the wheel as one moves in and out. I have learned this the hard way over the years and now make a conscious effort to think about my movements as I get in and out. Made a big difference. You'd all be surprised how much we hit the wheel for this movement.
The perforated part seems more durable.

You totally got it. I believe, I'm not sure, but probably my jacket's sharp zipper did the damage when getting out of the car. I hope the dealer can repair this damage easily. Does anyone know if they can repair this damage without doing much? I cannot just leave it there because it seems like the damage would worsen as time pass by due to it being a cut and not just a scratch.
Old 05-04-14, 06:16 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,495 Likes on 1,799 Posts

Originally Posted by mike927
Per discussion with a Lexus rep, they like to make the leather on their steering wheel soft for the customer's comfort. To me that is total BS as leather should be durable and feel better as it ages.

Would possibly leather repair products like Saphir products used on calfskin leather shoes work on the nuluxe leather Lexus uses?
In about 2006 they went from harder leather on the wheels to buffed leather which is much softer. That's the tradeoff.

The wheel is not nuluxe, nu luxe is imitation leather. The wheel is leather. Don't use anything for shoes or saddles or uncoated leather..
Old 05-04-14, 06:24 AM
finalhope
Rookie

Originally Posted by SW13GS
In about 2006 they went from harder leather on the wheels to buffed leather which is much softer. That's the tradeoff.

The wheel is not nuluxe, nu luxe is imitation leather. The wheel is leather. Don't use anything for shoes or saddles or uncoated leather..
Right that's why my 2007 IS250 steering wheel look and felt so different. It does feel more luxurious on the softer version, but damaging it is no fun.
Old 05-04-14, 07:38 AM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

This is why i love that the power adjusted steering wheel moves out of the way when i turn of the car.
Old 05-04-14, 12:10 PM
TheShaddix
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

If you decide to go custom, contact DCT motorsports (www.dctms.com)
I couldn't be happier with the wheel I got from them. Now every factory wheel seems thin and boring.
Old 05-04-14, 01:20 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jhs82
This is why i love that the power adjusted steering wheel moves out of the way when i turn of the car.
The auto tilt-away does help a lot. Although I recall in my ES loaner, the system was slow to operate and I was getting out before the wheel had a chance to fully rise.
Old 05-04-14, 11:40 PM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

The auto tilt-away does help a lot. Although I recall in my ES loaner, the system was slow to operate and I was getting out before the wheel had a chance to fully rise.
You're too stressed.
Old 05-05-14, 09:58 AM
redcupr
Driver

I haven't had this happen on the Lexus yet, but I've scratched the leather on the steering wheel in my Touareg a couple times with my fingernail. I've been able to lessen the visibility of the scratch by just rubbing it with my finger or thumb to smooth it out. The rubbing plus the oils from your skin heal the leather to a certain extent.
Old 05-05-14, 10:08 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jhs82
You're too stressed.
LOL! I know, right? I got into the habit of fast "ins and outs" from local crime trends. The time it takes for you to grab keys, open door, and get in, is often when mugging occurs in shady spots.
Old 05-05-14, 04:35 PM
finalhope
Rookie

Originally Posted by redcupr
I haven't had this happen on the Lexus yet, but I've scratched the leather on the steering wheel in my Touareg a couple times with my fingernail. I've been able to lessen the visibility of the scratch by just rubbing it with my finger or thumb to smooth it out. The rubbing plus the oils from your skin heal the leather to a certain extent.
Well, in this situation, the steering wheel is cut and not scratch. I mean the leather is cut split open and I think it might worsen if I don't repair and seal it up. It's able to repair and seal up right?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Torn