IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Huge Line on my dashboard in sunlight!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-14, 10:32 PM
Helterran
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Huge Line on my dashboard in sunlight!

anyone know how to get rid of this?

its very obvious at sunlight, but when it is dark you cannot see it.......

i tried armor all and still there.. (not sure how it was caused, there is no one sat in my car), I had tried to wipe it with a towel, water, armor all and its not coming off....
Attached Thumbnails Huge Line on my dashboard in sunlight!-securedownload.jpg  
Old 04-28-14, 01:12 AM
zabone
Rookie

that is a scratch. rubbing stuff into it will only cover it up for a short time.

My suggestion is either live with it, go to an upholstery shop, or go to a professional detailer.

It looks like a scratch a person would make when getting out of the car and holding onto the dash.
Old 04-28-14, 01:17 AM
TheShaddix
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a similar scratch on my dashboard. I used the meguiars rich leather wipes to fix/improve it. Just wipe it first, then wipe it again with a dry microfiber towel, and after some time it should kind of blend in. If not, then try not wiping it off with a towel at first so it has time to settle in. Mine was really visible but now you can hardly tell anything is there.
Old 04-28-14, 03:48 AM
Boomin
Racer

Received 399 Likes on 242 Posts

I got a few ideas, lol

Because of the sun, the dash gets softer and I had this too. Had a G coupe I felt the dash soft from Florida sun!
But now I've been adding tint to windshield and this has stopped. Completely.
My car has fifty percent tint and my wife car has seventy percent ceramic.
Please consider this, you won't believe how much it helps.
Old 04-28-14, 02:35 PM
TheShaddix
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had windshield tint on 2 cars in the past and that is something one should be careful with. It may be cool during the day in the sun, but at night, with our LED headlights being already not so bright, the visibility will be cut noticeably to the point of being dangerous. Not to mention that every cop will notice it and give you grief if they choose to do so. And if there is ever an accident, you run into the risk of being liable due to reduced visibility on your part. I used to be all for windshield tint, then ran into a fallen tree at night during rain...Reconsidered it quickly. Mine was tinted 50%. Just saying, tinting in general should be approached with logic.
Old 04-28-14, 03:32 PM
hoosier1
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a similar situation in the front part of the dash. When wiping a small area of the dash with a microfiber towel, the dash immediately discolored. I have applied leather conditioner and Armor All to the area and let it soak in for several days in the sun. Then I had to reapply the leather conditioner and repeat the process. After a month, I applied the Lexus leather conditioner over the entire section of the dash, and the discoloration appears to be fixed. Undoubtedly, the process will have to be repeated. I have already reported the very fragile dash and unacceptable quality of material used to Lexus.
Old 04-28-14, 06:21 PM
Helterran
Driver

i just took it into the dealership and they are taking a look at it......... i'll let them fix it (i only have 1400 miles on car right now....... they were like WTF when i show them it...... since none of them detected it upon delivery.."it only show up doing bright sunlight/flashlight"
Old 04-28-14, 11:26 PM
Helterran
Driver

Originally Posted by hoosier1
I have a similar situation in the front part of the dash. When wiping a small area of the dash with a microfiber towel, the dash immediately discolored. I have applied leather conditioner and Armor All to the area and let it soak in for several days in the sun. Then I had to reapply the leather conditioner and repeat the process. After a month, I applied the Lexus leather conditioner over the entire section of the dash, and the discoloration appears to be fixed. Undoubtedly, the process will have to be repeated. I have already reported the very fragile dash and unacceptable quality of material used to Lexus.
I heard armor all is junk and was advised not to use it ever.. Anyone know the material of the dash? Leather or plastic? I Need to know what product to buy if Lexus can't fix
Old 04-29-14, 04:58 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

its not leather, its some kind of vinyl.
Old 04-29-14, 01:00 PM
Helterran
Driver

The line is no longer there!!!! Lexus dealership saved the day.. They used something called Lexol to get rid of it... It would be cloudy at first, but it will get rid of it.. (That's what the dealership said) I haven't tried it...
Attached Thumbnails Huge Line on my dashboard in sunlight!-10155549_10100242221772865_5833566094001996536_n.jpg  

Last edited by Helterran; 04-29-14 at 07:46 PM. Reason: add pic
Old 04-29-14, 01:11 PM
goshawk823
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Helterran
The line is no longer there!!!! Lexus dealership saved the day.. They used something called Lysol to get rid of it... It would be cloudy at first, but it will get rid of it.. (That's what the dealership said) I haven't tried it...
Lysol, as in the cleaning product? On a scratch? I could see that if it was dirt, or gunk,,,
be interested to see if it works.
Old 04-29-14, 01:20 PM
Helterran
Driver

I spell wrong..... Lexol
Old 04-29-14, 03:26 PM
hoosier1
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Helterran
I spell wrong..... Lexol
Thanks for the product name. I'll try it on my dash. Let us know how long it lasts.
Old 04-29-14, 04:46 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would not use Armor All on any of my cars. I use Protectant 303 on all my cars. I have tried many different brands including Lexol but Protectant 303 is the best stuffs to protect plastic, rubber and vinyl interiors. The surfaces do not get greasy and glossy like a lot of products out there.
Old 04-29-14, 07:49 PM
Helterran
Driver

I am going to go pickup some Lexol soon....... going to keep it somewhere in house......... anyone know what window cleaner to buy? (i saw Lexus ppl spray some unknown white foam thing on towel..........)