IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Asian language Packs / Waze Nav?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-14, 10:26 PM
Helterran
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Asian language Packs / Waze Nav?

Hi All,
I believe there might be some post of these questions somewhere, but i still want to ask and i can't find much information on them..

1. I have lots Asian songs, and they all coming out as scrambled... is there an language pack we can download or update? or if there is any backdoor way of doing it (without saying that 4 letter word start with "H" it?

2. GPS / Nav isn't that great......... anyone figure out how to use "Waze" or some other application to integrated with your car? (I see Waze has use bluetooth function, but not sure how it works)
Old 04-28-14, 12:45 PM
DizzyEdge
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What Waze does thru Bluetooth is send the audio notifications to your stereo.

If you're already streaming your music thru Bluetooth..it'll quite your music down & give you your notification.
Sometimes the notification isn't loud enough.
Old 04-29-14, 04:15 PM
keveng15
Driver School Candidate

I havent' heard or read of ways to put the lexus language pack. perhaps if you replace the whole unit with something like a flyaudio unit, but that would be pretty silly imo.
Maybe there's a way to flash the GPS firmware from another country? but then you'd lose the maps ?
supposedly the gps software is stored on the SD card, but you cant just download a package and put it on so it's a little bit more complicated. I'd imagine if someone could get a firmware from an asian country, and package the NA maps onto it, then theorectically it may work? (note: Alot of IFs)

It's 2014, and you'd imagine most software made nowadays included unicode fonttypes... especially from a japanese car maker.. i cant even get japanese text to show on the song names ~_~
Old 04-29-14, 07:44 PM
Helterran
Driver

Originally Posted by keveng15
I havent' heard or read of ways to put the lexus language pack. perhaps if you replace the whole unit with something like a flyaudio unit, but that would be pretty silly imo.
Maybe there's a way to flash the GPS firmware from another country? but then you'd lose the maps ?
supposedly the gps software is stored on the SD card, but you cant just download a package and put it on so it's a little bit more complicated. I'd imagine if someone could get a firmware from an asian country, and package the NA maps onto it, then theorectically it may work? (note: Alot of IFs)

It's 2014, and you'd imagine most software made nowadays included unicode fonttypes... especially from a japanese car maker.. i cant even get japanese text to show on the song names ~_~
yes, I am hoping someone can post something / step by step manual..... anyone?
Old 05-31-14, 06:36 PM
RBBLUE
Driver School Candidate

Having the same issue, and Lexus HQ was actually very rude about this, and rejecting to escalate.
I would pay for re-flashing the on-board system with Japanese version.
If you have any contacts on your phone in Chinese/Japanese/Korean, and sync it, the contacts won't show up in the Lexus system. It's a font, I'm sure of it... Lexus dealership gave me a business card of a local hacker! He didn't call me back yet.
Old 01-17-18, 06:57 PM
IS350Kaley
7th Gear

I would be very interested in a Japanese interface as well. They have Spanish and French. Why not asian? What's sad was I rented a Hyundai Accent one time and it's Radio displayed the Japanese characters from my iPod. I was like if this POS can why can't the Lexus.

I don't know if this matters anymore, but I do remember 15 plus years ago through programing, there were issues with Japanese character which were double byte characters. it had to be able to read that in. But with Lexus cars being sold in Japan you would think they would just make a universal interface with a bunch of different languages.
Old 01-18-18, 10:47 AM
specONE
Racer

Received 487 Likes on 246 Posts

The stereo software and GUI is slightly different for all markets for the Navigation version
The North America market stereo we are familiar with, if we were to jump into a European or Asian Market 3IS, you wouldn't recognize it entirely.
Old 01-18-18, 12:57 PM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350Kaley
I would be very interested in a Japanese interface as well. They have Spanish and French. Why not asian? What's sad was I rented a Hyundai Accent one time and it's Radio displayed the Japanese characters from my iPod. I was like if this POS can why can't the Lexus.

I don't know if this matters anymore, but I do remember 15 plus years ago through programing, there were issues with Japanese character which were double byte characters. it had to be able to read that in. But with Lexus cars being sold in Japan you would think they would just make a universal interface with a bunch of different languages.

Broad strokes here, but Japanese corporations are woefully behind in HMI and it really shows with Toyota/Lexus entertainment centers. It's really the best "Japan Inc" offer and it's sad. I'm not sure who makes their entertainment centers, pioneer or denso?

the majority of japanese websites look like they're from the 90's.
It really woulda been easy to just leave the font packs in there to support all these languages, even if you couldn't expressly select them for an interface, but just to be able to show damn song names.

Last edited by evident; 01-19-18 at 06:10 AM.
Old 01-18-18, 08:46 PM
minhael
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

I am very disgusted with the Lexus Infortainment system...i just install chromecast on mine and mirror my waze.