IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Jerk denies giving me a fender ding while I was sitting in my car!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-14, 02:55 PM
craigsager
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems like an open and shut case with the pix. I would suggest taking videos since you can demonstrate the swing of the door and how it precisely hits the dent.
Old 04-29-14, 03:34 PM
smardav
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im sorry this happen to you. Force progressive to pay for it. And never go to walmart again. Costco is almost as cheap as walmart, if not cheaper.
Old 04-30-14, 08:01 AM
braandon19
Driver School Candidate

sorry to hear that man but you should've dinged his face lol
Old 05-04-14, 06:03 AM
finalhope
Rookie

Same thing happen to my 2014 IS350 in less than a month when I bought it, a VAN always these stupid vans, i really dislike those with vans because most of them are idiots. Luckily my damage wasn't as bad as yours, but I was sitting my car as well and a van pulled so closed up to me and bang I heard it and felt my car shake like you did. Then I came out and saw the damage which luckily there was no dent, but paint or clear coat scratch off size of a finger nail or smaller. I believe the damage was less severe because he was close up unlike your encounter where the force is much stronger due to the distance between your car and his.
Old 05-04-14, 06:13 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Really sucks. I had the same thing happen to me on my old 03 ES in a similar type space and spot.

Unfortunately, that won't work PDR probably. The issue is that it's down in the "dog leg" between the wheel well and door. They can get access by drilling, but they can't get any leverage on it...

Gonna be expensive.
Old 05-04-14, 03:18 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

oh man sorry to hear that, very unfortunate how some people can be so careless. hopefully it gets fixed. i am always so careful when parking my car in a lot. unfortunately things happen and hopefully they can get it fixed without painting
Old 05-04-14, 07:57 PM
nautnavel
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone for the support. Got a call from progressive a few days ago, and the jerk is still denying it. I plan on calling them tomorrow to get an update. Also, taking it to lexus for an estimate. I'll let everyone know what happens.
Old 05-06-14, 10:33 AM
Vairox
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by nautnavel
Long story short. Yesterday I was sitting in my car at Walmart .
That about sums it up.

The guy is obese and is from Texas, I'm astonished. He had to open the door that wide to get his fat *** out. I park at the end of the lot people are lazy and don't want to walk so I'm usually safe by banking on other people's sheer laziness to protect my car.

Last edited by Vairox; 05-06-14 at 10:41 AM.
Old 05-07-14, 02:43 AM
finalhope
Rookie

Doesn't this fall into the comprehensive coverage category? It shouldn't be collision since either car was moving. I might be wrong, but my comprehensive coverage is $50 deductible, so getting this fix and just moving on would be it. Progressive is not dumb, they know who's right or wrong here. They do not want you to win because they will have to pay for everything since both party is progressive. If I were you I'd tell them I'm not paying to fix my car because it was damage by the other party who is also progressive, if at the end I do not get a reasonable compensation then I will fix my car and move to another insurance company. Well depending on your driving record with auto insurances lol it might work. It worked for me, similar situation happened to me but collision wise. People just do not take responsibilities for their own actions.
Old 05-07-14, 07:17 AM
Vairox
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by finalhope
Doesn't this fall into the comprehensive coverage category? It shouldn't be collision since either car was moving. I might be wrong, but my comprehensive coverage is $50 deductible, so getting this fix and just moving on would be it. Progressive is not dumb, they know who's right or wrong here. They do not want you to win because they will have to pay for everything since both party is progressive. If I were you I'd tell them I'm not paying to fix my car because it was damage by the other party who is also progressive, if at the end I do not get a reasonable compensation then I will fix my car and move to another insurance company. Well depending on your driving record with auto insurances lol it might work. It worked for me, similar situation happened to me but collision wise. People just do not take responsibilities for their own actions.
Well we live in a society, and you and I a state, which seeks to absolve people of their personally accountability and give repeated do-overs in life so this is really no surprise. Since you have a pic of both his van with plate and him taking a pic of YOUR car that should suffice as enough evidence that this guy did in fact do it or was cognizant that he was being accused of doing it otherwise he wouldn't be next to your car with his van taking a pic of your car.
Old 05-07-14, 10:28 PM
nautnavel
Driver School Candidate

UPDATE:

So Progressive is siding with the jerk. They said that they are not going to pay for the damage under the jerk's policy. The manager/supervisor said that there is some red paint on the dent, so she concluded that the jerk didn't give me the ding. The red scuff is barely anything, and that came came off his car somehow. There's evidence that his paint transferred on to mine. There's evidence that his door lined up to the dent. What are the odds of his car parking perfectly next to mine, giving me a dent with the same color paint on it?!??? Club Lexus, I need some help here. I'm uploading a close up picture of the dent, and you guys can tell me what you guys think. I'm still fighting with progressive, and trying to see if Walmart has a camera under their lamp post or something.
Attached Thumbnails Jerk denies giving me a fender ding while I was sitting in my car!-img_0102.jpg   Jerk denies giving me a fender ding while I was sitting in my car!-img_0107.jpg  
Old 05-07-14, 10:32 PM
nautnavel
Driver School Candidate

Oh yeah, I took it to Lexus in San Antonio, and PDR won't do the job according to the Dent Doctor.
Old 05-08-14, 06:31 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

His van was that filthy tired off white, and the red is probably transfer from paint that had already transferred to his door front dinging someone else!

You could hire an attorney, but unfortunately you're probably out of luck...the cost of doing that is going to be higher than just repairing the ding. Will Progressive cover it under your comprehensive coverage?

If they will...I would let them fix it under your comprehensive company, then fire them and get a new insurance company. They'll ask you why and try to keep you, be sure you tell them that its because when you needed them they weren't there for you or behind you and you can't trust them any longer.

This is my issue with companies like Progressive, Geico, etc where you have no individual agent. In this situation, having a good agent who will escalate it and go to bat for you can make all the difference. You may pay a few dollars more, but IMHO its worth it to be with a company that has policies sold by agents for this reason.
Old 05-08-14, 06:52 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

its obviously from his car, you can see a lot of paint transfer from white
Old 05-08-14, 10:01 AM
elusive
Lead Lap

Wow what a ****ty situation. If insurance doesn't side with you, then your only option is to get it fixed and take him to small claims to recover. Sorry man.

Quick Reply: Jerk denies giving me a fender ding while I was sitting in my car!