IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Leaking driver rear Shock - Ruined my day.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-14, 12:02 PM
Sonik
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking driver rear Shock - Ruined my day.

My first official post was supposed to be a bit more upbeat then this...

Having owned my IS350 F-sport (RWD) since June of last year, I've loved every minute of it. I've been lurking on the forums for awhile now, never really posting. Yesterday - I was typing up my first big "Build Post", as my springs (RSR Super Downs) were being installed. Unfortunately I ran into a snag today when I went to pick it up.

I had heard a thump once or twice with 3 passengers in the car come from the drivers rear. Unfortunately (in this case) I have a short commute and rarely see many passengers, so I only heard it a couple of times. Admittedly, I thought nothing of it - figured something loose in the trunk as the cause.

So fast forward to today. I had my springs installed at a local shop. I arrived just as they finished up and went with the tech on the initial test drive. The slightest bump/dip would bring about a loud thump from the driver rear. We both cringed and he said what I was think... "Not sure how, but that sounds like a bad shock".

Up it went on the lift again, flash light in hand to examine the suspension. Sure enough, a damp shock covered in dirt etc. I wont blame the guy for not noticing at first. The car having 7k miles on it, a shocks not really something you're too preoccupied with. Knowing better then to take it to Lexus with the lowered suspension and give them something to hang the blown shock on, I had them place the stock springs back on.

So- a few $$$ later and I''ve got what I can easily call the most expensive diagnosis I've ever had to deal with. I could blame myself for not acting when I heard the initial thud with passengers. I could blame the shop for not noticing it during the install. However, I think I'll point my distaste in the direction of the shock and Lexus. Marking this as the first negative in the 7xxx Miles I've put on it.

Anyone else experience this...issue? The tech mentioned that 2IS's had a similar issue with the factory shocks being leaky. I'll make sure to update when Lexus confirms the issue and how its handled.

More to come. Nice meeting you guys- even under these terms.

Here's a shot the night I picked up my Lex, next to my old RX-8 R3. Since no post is good without photos...

Last edited by Sonik; 04-23-14 at 01:12 PM.
Old 04-23-14, 01:35 PM
ultran00b8
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had one too. Another member bwk also had the same issue. Is this a factory defect???

My thread here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...t-9-000km.html
Old 04-23-14, 01:49 PM
Sonik
Driver School Candidate

Just saw all the threads come up at the same time. Looks like this is a pretty common defect. I had 0 suspension modifications done and factory wheels... Looks like factory defect.
Old 04-23-14, 08:47 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Goes back to November, when this owner was ridiculed:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-a-dealer.html
Old 04-24-14, 12:29 PM
Sonik
Driver School Candidate

Well, the car goes to the dealer on Sunday. They'll confirm what I'm already telling them and order the shock. I asked them if they had seen any other IS come in with a similar issue and was told no. I also asked if they had the stock in shock, big ol negativo on that one as well.

I don't think I'll be installing the springs anymore - fairly certain if the same shock went out with less stress, the springs will demolish the shock. I'm curious if anyone else running springs has checked their driver rear shock for issues? I know we lower our cars and write things off as " cause its dropped", but if you're hearing a loud thud from the back... It may not be just your shorter suspension travel. You may have the same issue many of us have.

I''ll post more info as I get it for anyone following along.
Old 04-27-14, 04:43 PM
yycdave
Driver

Edit: N/m, I'm definitely crazy.

Last edited by yycdave; 04-27-14 at 06:47 PM.
Old 04-29-14, 12:47 PM
Sonik
Driver School Candidate

Angry

So this is getting good =/

Dealer confirmed there is an issue with the strut, but is claiming that it was caused by lowering the suspension.

A few irate phone calls with the service manager and I am now providing them with the following just to prove I'm not full of it...

*Proof of when I bought the springs
*Proof of when they were delivered
*Proof of when they were installed and uninstalled
*Back up proof by copy of my credit card statements showing payments being processed.

To say the least, I'm fairly disappointed. Still no confirmation as to whether or not it will be covered under warranty.

Any suggestions of things I can physically show as proof the vehicle was never driven lowered?
Old 04-29-14, 06:28 PM
ultran00b8
Driver

Why did you let them know of the lowering springs at all? I guess you cut the bump stop?
Old 04-30-14, 11:33 AM
Sonik
Driver School Candidate

Ultra- Nope, they somehow knew it had been or at very least assumed. Either way, when I was asked "It seems the car has seen some suspension modifications - were there any on there prior?" I could of bold faced lied, but I did not have anything to hide. The suspension was on for less then 6 hours in a garage, and on one test drive.

In any event- they have decided to give me "one time, good faith repair of the shock". I however wont be signing anything that limits any future repairs to that shock. I have a feeling this wont be the last time I see this issue. It should be arriving tomorrow and I should have the car back by then or Friday the latest.

Still pretty disappointed with the hoops I had to jump through.
Old 04-30-14, 12:20 PM
ultran00b8
Driver

+1 that's why I'm not fretting too much over my shocks being delayed after giving my first set to my friend. I want to make sure the other shocks are ok before proceeding any further.
Old 05-01-14, 05:14 AM
bwk
Rookie

Originally Posted by ultran00b8
I had one too. Another member bwk also had the same issue. Is this a factory defect???

My thread here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...t-9-000km.html
yup issues as on my IS250 AWD but no issues at all with my IS350 RWD. Both are 3IS
Old 05-01-14, 01:11 PM
Zelfiris
Lead Lap

I have a 2011 IS250 F-Sport and I had the exact same issue. My driver rear shocks were leaking. Got it replaced no problem. My tech advisor told me it happened to another IS250 F-Sport a week before.
Old 05-01-14, 02:46 PM
amoney805
Pole Position

What are the symptoms of a busted shock?
Old 05-07-14, 08:30 AM
Sonik
Driver School Candidate

Well, after a week of fairly tedious back and forth with a manager, the wrong shock being ordered, lacking call backs, and being accused basically of lying- I've got the car back =D

JM lexus is firm on the fact that this is not a wide spread issue- regardless of who's encountered it they claim its solely a coincidence. I will not be lowering the vehicle as I mentioned- and will be selling my springs if I
can't return them. If anyone's interested, feel free to PM me to discuss.
Old 05-07-14, 08:33 AM
Sonik
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by amoney805
What are the symptoms of a busted shock?
Depends how far along the issue is- but my issues we're listed above as well as how I was able to tell (grime on the faulty shock, slightly lower ride height, audible thuds over large variations in the road particularly when the car was loaded with passengers)