IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

vinyl wrap vs painted roof

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-14, 08:30 AM
Gravityis
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vinyl wrap vs painted roof

Okay guys, so what I'd like to discuss is why have so many done vinyl wrap on the roof? It has to be replaced after 5-10years depending on how well it's taken care of, plus removal(if not done properly) can damage your paint! If any scratches occur it will look like shi* and would have to be touched up. Okay so now wouldn't getting a decent paint job be worth it in the end? Cost is only a couple hundred off. It'd look just as good if not better, would last years and years as long as you take care of your paint in the end paying extra for the paint would be worth it in my opinion. Only bad thing about paint is it permanent, but then why do the look in the first place. What's your thought on this? Thanks
Old 04-23-14, 08:48 AM
Mr_VFS1
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gravityis
Okay guys, so what I'd like to discuss is why have so many done vinyl wrap on the roof? It has to be replaced after 5-10years depending on how well it's taken care of, plus removal(if not done properly) can damage your paint! If any scratches occur it will look like shi* and would have to be touched up. Okay so now wouldn't getting a decent paint job be worth it in the end? Cost is only a couple hundred off. It'd look just as good if not better, would last years and years as long as you take care of your paint in the end paying extra for the paint would be worth it in my opinion. Only bad thing about paint is it permanent, but then why do the look in the first place. What's your thought on this? Thanks
Main reason and the biggest thing I see everywhere is because paint is dead. The process is much easier to get things wrapped.
Old 09-11-19, 07:04 AM
Diver2011
Driver School Candidate

I'm having the same issue on my 04 Lexus GX470. Most of it's life its been garaged and it's peeling on the roof. I called Lexus and they admitted it was an issue on the 08 and 09 models but there has not been enough complaints for the 04 model. So if you have this issue, please call Lexus to file a claim for a goodwill repair and please consider joining this group so together maybe we can get them to acknowledge the problem and fix it!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2884...source=unknown
Old 09-11-19, 09:38 AM
Don Nguyen
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Wrap is completely reversible. If you're damaging the roof when removing the wrap, then you are generally doing it wrong by being overly aggressive with the chemicals/tools being used to remove the wrap.

For something like the roof, a good paint job is going to be at minimum double the cost of wrapping. If you end up getting anything less than a perfect paint job, you can expect that new paint job to start wearing out after a few years possibly even. Then at that point, it's not like it can simply be peeled off like a wrap would, but you would have to sand/prep it all over again.

What I tell people is, if for some reason you end up with a bad wrap job, you're at worse just going to have to peel it off. If you end up with a bad paint job, you're now stuck with paint overspray and a messed up painted roof that is permanent.

Of course, a perfect paint job will have a better finish than a wrap job. However, it would not be reversible as vinyl wrap would.
Old 09-11-19, 08:57 PM
jameshan
Pole Position

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

I like having the roof gloss black as it matches the sun roof and rear/front windshield. Gives it an illusion its all one piece. As for why not paint, well at the time I was working as a wrapper as my job so it cost me nothing and only 30 minutes. Ideally yes I'd like to paint my whole car eventually. But being able to do it myself with wrap only costs me material and time.
Old 09-12-19, 08:27 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,073 Likes on 1,564 Posts

Purchase a 6x5' piece of vvivid gloss vinyl black wrap for about $40 or so. Closest thing to black paint i've seen. and get some cutting tape by 3M--never cut on the car's paint. you might have some challenges around the sunroof area. watch some youtube videos.

if money isn't a big deal to you and a black roof is really what you want, then yes ultimately paint is the best option. nothing beats paint. period. but some gloss vinyls can get pretty close. some. you have to be careful with the brands installers choose for you. do your own homework. last thing you want is the look of a garbage bag stretched over your car.
Old 09-12-19, 10:15 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Another thing not mentioned in the above good reasons for vinyl, is the ability to reverse.

Causing damage to the vehicle has not been real big in my findings. The 200k+ cars being wrapped and the loads of new cars being wrapped at my local BMW dealer would not be so many if damages were frequent.
Old 09-12-19, 12:12 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Many cars today come w/ black roofs from the factory including some Lexus models like the previous gen ES350. so if done right, it wouldn't really be "damage"

damage is more drilling holes to mount those ridiculous air tanks people use or rolling fenders to fit juvenile wheels and tire combos. that's damage
The following users liked this post:
elvis14 (09-30-19)
Old 09-12-19, 03:32 PM
PATCHEZ
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

just remember with vinyl it'll fade from heat and wear. tbh I've never been a fan of the black roof.
Old 09-12-19, 03:50 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

Was quoted $1000 to paint the roof. That decided it for me.
Old 09-12-19, 04:03 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

it would actually be possible to do at home. but you'd have to have extremely good touch and very deep knowledge as to what you're doing. you'd also have to use a healthy amount of 2k clear and likely some paint correction after. also make sure you have zero dust. not practical, but possible!

I like a black roof as long as it's available from the factory. which means the particular design of the car was vetted by designers as being fine painted black.

a cousin model w/ black roof (from factory) works fine too, like the ES350.

The problem (I think) with the IS is there's no factory separation. the roof panel has a seamless transition into the roof rail panel. So you'd have to do some very careful masking.
Old 09-15-19, 09:52 AM
tofuprod
Instructor

Received 231 Likes on 183 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by E46CT
Purchase a 6x5' piece of vvivid gloss vinyl black wrap for about $40 or so. Closest thing to black paint i've seen. and get some cutting tape by 3M--never cut on the car's paint. you might have some challenges around the sunroof area. watch some youtube videos.

if money isn't a big deal to you and a black roof is really what you want, then yes ultimately paint is the best option. nothing beats paint. period. but some gloss vinyls can get pretty close. some. you have to be careful with the brands installers choose for you. do your own homework. last thing you want is the look of a garbage bag stretched over your car.
the garbage bag reference is hilarious but oh so very true.
Old 03-07-21, 03:54 PM
Wood3000
Driver School Candidate

Removing the peeling vinyl wrap on the roof moulding.
Old 02-28-22, 04:19 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,142 Likes on 850 Posts

Wow, I am temped to pull mine off. That looks really nice, I wonder why they didn't do that factory? Mine are perfect but I really prefer that look