IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Roja vs. Black Interior...Can't Decide!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-14, 07:29 AM
CJW
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the red. The black may be a bit boring, but it's simple, it always ages well and won't be as polarizing in the future.
Old 04-23-14, 07:41 AM
Alant514
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love the red, it's more like burgundy shade of red than a straight red. But I love it, looks sexy
Old 04-23-14, 08:04 AM
Kyle12
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Guys, these replies are amazing, thanks so much for the fantastic feedback. I don't know what I will decide ultimately as of yet, but it's great to hear the pros and cons of each option...thanks for taking the time to post! Hopefully I will have it soon and I'll be able to post some pics on here
Old 04-23-14, 08:29 AM
CarZy
Driver School Candidate

I currently drive a BMW 335i with black exterior and red leather interior. I've owned the car for 7 years and going with the black/red combo was the best decision I had made. I've only gotten compliments and it still excites me when I get in the car. Black on black is elegant, but I can see getting bored with it a lot sooner. If I end up purchasing a new IS, it will likely be with the black/red combo (i'm a sucker for black colored cars). Good luck with your decision.
Old 04-23-14, 09:22 AM
FSPORTJC
Pole Position

Easiest decision ever... Rioja Red.
Old 04-23-14, 03:16 PM
taikien
Driver School Candidate

I got the silver lining with black interior. Ultra white and red was my first choice but I didn't like the red on door panel looks cheap but seats are nice
Old 04-23-14, 06:03 PM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm in the same situation myself...tomorrow in going to pick up a 2014 Silver Lining F-sport with red int....i can't wait...seeing it unperson i fell in love
Old 04-23-14, 06:23 PM
Pralix
Rookie

I thought about getting the red. I had concerns about a red interior since most cars that I have seen with a red interior had horrible color fade. I would have liked to have seen the seats to be color blocked like the bolsters in black and the center section in red. In the end, I went with black. There were no obsidian IS350 RWDs with a red interior available. it would have been months from the factory. I don't regret it too much.
Old 04-23-14, 07:37 PM
Maxiii
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

black interior.
Old 04-23-14, 08:08 PM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Pralix
I thought about getting the red. I had concerns about a red interior since most cars that I have seen with a red interior had horrible color fade. I would have liked to have seen the seats to be color blocked like the bolsters in black and the center section in red. In the end, I went with black. There were no obsidian IS350 RWDs with a red interior available. it would have been months from the factory. I don't regret it too much.
6,000 miles. no color fade visible anywhere. my wife rides in the passenger seat daily as we carpool. occasionally will pick up friends and family on weekends, nothing faded front or back.
Old 04-23-14, 08:38 PM
Kyle12
Driver School Candidate

Couldn't agree more with Pralix, I've come to realize that is the amount of red that is getting to me...doors and full seats...it just feels like too much.

I approached the dealer today about ordering two Roja front seats for me and swapping out the existing black fronts for the Roja Reds. The rest of the car will remain black including the back seats and door panels. It will basically be black interior with the exception of the driver and passenger seats...he's not sure if it's doable but he's working on it...I feel like that will give the impressive red touch to the interior, but not make it overpoweringly red which is what I am struggling with now.
Old 04-23-14, 08:39 PM
TopShelfCo
Driver School Candidate

Default Decisions decisions...

Something to consider is Rioja Red is an exclusive interior color for the 3IS F-Sport and it also depends on what theme you're shooting for assuming you decide to modify your car. Red would be a good choice going for a sporty look, but can be difficult to work around when planning a build color scheme and Black is boss when it comes to a luxury look; At least that's my two cents... Definitely loving my Silver Lining Metallic with Rioja Red combination, never gets old every time i see her
Old 04-24-14, 06:08 AM
clew84
Driver School Candidate

I have an obsidian/red 350 f sport and I've never had a red interior before. I love it - I think it's perfect for this car and it's tastefully done. It's different but in a good way.

I also use this car for business occasionally taking out high level exec types and have had nothing but compliments so far. No worries from that perspective.
Old 04-24-14, 10:13 AM
Pralix
Rookie

Originally Posted by AdvanSLF
6,000 miles. no color fade visible anywhere. my wife rides in the passenger seat daily as we carpool. occasionally will pick up friends and family on weekends, nothing faded front or back.
My experience with red interiors is many years down the road from when the car was new. The Lexus has UV treated windows so it may not be the case in a Lexus. My father had a 1986 Mercury Sable with a red interior. Six years later the dash was starting to fade. Lexus may have overcome that but I wasn't sure that I wanted to take a chance on it happening.
Old 04-24-14, 10:20 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

interior materials and durability has improved immensely for all car brands since 1986. I dont see why one color would fade more than another. One good thing about Nuluxe is it isn't dyed like natural leather has to be, it is actually manufactured in that color from the beginning since it is a synthetic material.

Quick Reply: Roja vs. Black Interior...Can't Decide!!