IS350 RWD F-Sport and road bike

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-14, 09:20 AM
mindanalyz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS350 RWD F-Sport and road bike

Hi
I currently own an Acura RDX 2013 (FWD) and I can say that I like it (except a couple of things) but I am not sure that I want a SUV for a long time so I have been looking (exploring) into a few Japanese sport sedans (Q50, IS350 RWD and the new TLX V6 SH-AWD) for long term ownership.

I have read that the IS350 has 60/40 split folding seats so wanted to ask you your opinion about the possibility of carrying a my carbon TREK madone (54 size) road bike inside the car with the front wheel off and the seats folded. I saw an internet pic and the seats fold almost horizontally and the trunk "tunnel" seems pretty big.
Would that be too much hassle and it is something you can do pretty easy without scratching the car or the bike? Carrying my road bike inside is a MUST requirement when buying a car and I would not consider a roof rack or hitch adapter

thanks in advance
mind

ps1:
I had a 1st gen IS 250 and got rid of it after 2 years because I didnt have much fun driving it and it was painfully slow, but I have read good things about the new 350

ps2:
Any South Floridian (Miami) could give me an idea of how much can I realistically ask off the MSRP at this moment (2014 IS 350 RWD with F-sport pkg MSRP $47255) , I was thinking about 3K
Old 04-18-14, 09:33 AM
bhvrdr
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome.

The seats definitely don't fold horizontally. There is a decent sized lip there. I think it would be an extremely tight fit, but I honestly havent tried my bike in there so maybe someone else will chime in.

I use USAA to negotiate deals and it gives about 8% off MSRP on the IS350. Dealserships have been willing to do that.

Mike
Old 04-18-14, 10:56 AM
3IS4ME
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think a 54 would be an issue. Just turn the bars 90 degrees to the right and lay it in sideways drive side up. I have a 51 Look 595 and it fits easily.
Old 04-18-14, 11:59 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mindanalyz
Hi
I currently own an Acura RDX 2013 (FWD) and I can say that I like it (except a couple of things) but I am not sure that I want a SUV for a long time so I have been looking (exploring) into a few Japanese sport sedans (Q50, IS350 RWD and the new TLX V6 SH-AWD) for long term ownership.

I have read that the IS350 has 60/40 split folding seats so wanted to ask you your opinion about the possibility of carrying a my carbon TREK madone (54 size) road bike inside the car with the front wheel off and the seats folded. I saw an internet pic and the seats fold almost horizontally and the trunk "tunnel" seems pretty big.
Would that be too much hassle and it is something you can do pretty easy without scratching the car or the bike? Carrying my road bike inside is a MUST requirement when buying a car and I would not consider a roof rack or hitch adapter

thanks in advance
mind

ps1:
I had a 1st gen IS 250 and got rid of it after 2 years because I didnt have much fun driving it and it was painfully slow, but I have read good things about the new 350

ps2:
Any South Floridian (Miami) could give me an idea of how much can I realistically ask off the MSRP at this moment (2014 IS 350 RWD with F-sport pkg MSRP $47255) , I was thinking about 3K
cool another bike enthusiast! first off i'm not sure what the other poster is saying by the fact that it doesn't fold down horizontally [flat] it does. secondly, you'd be surprised as to how much room there actually is in the 3IS boot. i can fit a lot of stuff. i'm quite confident that if you take your wheel off, you might even be able to put the bike in there without even having to fold down the seats. one thing i will caution you though is the the opening of the trunk, i personally feel is not feel is not too big. i couldn't fit a 1.8 cubic inch microwave in the trunk so thats to give you a small perspective--but it did go in the backseat with some maneuvering.

the IS250 blows, thats for middle age people or people who can't afford the 350 (no offense). i just don't understand why you would spend $35,000 on a 250, and not just put in another $5k to get the 350? hell another 1-2k you an get a bare boned 350 F Sport. if you have a good interest rate like i got at my credit union for 1.49%, the interest cost of an extra $5k over 60 months is so minuscule! if you figure this to be a long term car, then pull the trigger on the best, not mediocre.

i would also advise to look into the AWD version since you'll possibly head off road at times. and also depending on where you are located, it may help with everyday commuting. personally i didn't think the ML audio package was worth the an extra 1500--the IS is too small for 15 freaking speakers! sure, maybe in the GS/LS its fine, but you're forcing something that doesn't belong only to make a sale or get "the works". secondly there's a lot of hype about vgrs, but i personally believe we lived without it for this long, so do we really need? no because its not a revolutionary technology that stops everything in your tracks! and i was right, the non vgrs is just as great, if not better because i hate when the vgrs kicks in on the highway. steering is so soft and lack there of it feels like a you're driving a boat or a camry (i have a camry too lol). i got one of the rares in VA, white/red RWD f sport with BSM, for around mid/low 43s (500 above invoice).

good luck on your decision!