IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Center console removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-14, 02:21 PM
aTeAse
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Center console removal

Took off the 2 side panels, and silver trim already, just need the center panel/cup holder, not sure how to take it out.

Can anyone help?
Old 04-17-14, 02:28 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Have you checked Sewell? This can help unravel the mystery of what is clipped and screwed in.

http://is.sewellparts.com/oem-catalo...S250-2014.html
Old 04-17-14, 02:32 PM
aTeAse
Lead Lap

I honestly can't understand how to look at that.

So does it mean i have to take out the arm rest and rear ac panel to get to the center console?
Old 04-17-14, 02:33 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

These links should help you out, but cup holders with remote touch control part is the easiest to remove. Open the center storage box, then use your both hands and hold the cup holders as leverage then pull straight up. They are just a bunch of clips holding. The whole unit should come off straight up.

I found the most difficult part to remove was the shifter plate. It takes quite amount of force to remove it. Also, don't forget to remove one screw holding the shifter plate just under the shifter gate, it's showing in a few down the thread, but it should be on opposite of where it's showing picture (thread was referencing right hand drive car). Good luck!!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...head-unit.html

http://minkara.carview.co.jp/en/user...blog/30476687/

Last edited by dojoman; 04-17-14 at 02:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
GR3Y5H3ART (08-09-20)
Old 04-17-14, 02:44 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by aTeAse
I honestly can't understand how to look at that.

So does it mean i have to take out the arm rest and rear ac panel to get to the center console?
No, just open the center storage box so that you can remove the cup holders plus remote touch. If you don't open the storage box you cannot remove it.

You see the channel for cable routing from outside in the green box? It's attached to cup holders piece, if the console box is closed you cannot remove the cup holders or you may damage this part.

Last edited by dojoman; 04-17-14 at 02:49 PM.
Old 04-17-14, 02:48 PM
aTeAse
Lead Lap

Do you need leverage at the bottom of the shift ****? Mine seems to twist the boot/
And is pretty right to turn
Old 04-17-14, 03:17 PM
aTeAse
Lead Lap

Does anyone know the nut and shift **** rotate together or separately for removal?
Old 04-17-14, 03:26 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Does anyone know the nut and shift **** rotate together or separately for removal?
Push down the shift boot while holding the shift ****, it's just a clip holding. Then rotate the shift know to unscrew.

Old 04-17-14, 03:27 PM
DRivera250
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there are two small screws that are under the silver trim. One one each side. should pop right out.
Old 04-17-14, 03:31 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

BTW, wear a glove or something to protect yourself or scratching the trims with your nails. The only time you should be very careful is when removing the shifter plate, it's the last piece before you gain access to screws to remove radio. Shifter plate is very tight and can pinch your fingers.
Old 04-17-14, 03:44 PM
DRivera250
Lexus Champion

this guide should help

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...le-moving.html
Old 04-17-14, 04:04 PM
aTeAse
Lead Lap

Thanks for the help so far. Now the last bit is how to separate the Eco/sport shift **** from the outter panel?
Old 04-17-14, 04:23 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Thanks for the help so far. Now the last bit is how to separate the Eco/sport shift **** from the outter panel?
Remove the screw located below the shifter gate in circled but yours should be on the driver side since picture showing is from right hand drive car.

Eco/Sport **** is connected all the way to seat warmer buttons. When you remove the piece the whole thing should come off. Start from back where the console box is and lift up at an angle just like shown in picture. Use the square boxes I added as reference where you should pull up.

One warning though, when I was doing this Eco/Sport plate area wanted to lift up, see red circle, but don't separate it from shifter plate. I don't know what will happen if you happen to separate them apart.

Old 04-17-14, 04:24 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DRivera250
This guide is from second gen IS.
Old 04-17-14, 05:22 PM
Jack1995
Rookie

I posted a thread on center console vinyl wrapping. I'll just paste the instructions here I hope it helps

Tools you need
1. Pry tool (I don't recommend using flat head screw driver, it will damage the plastic!)
2. +head screw driver

Here is the link to do the first few steps
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-t...head-unit.html

Note: Put the car on neutral and use the foot brake, then turn off the car. Because the shift **** will be in the way when you are removing the front piece of center console when it is in park.

After you remove the side panels (four pieces total) in the link, remove the cup holder

First open the center storage compartment, the cup holder only requires pry tool to remove, work from the rear side to the front, reason being is that all the clips are on the side except there is one at the very front, kinda like battery cover of our TV remote.

Once you remove the cup holder and disconnect the connectors, remove the back piece of the center console (notice the whole center console is actually in two pieces, rear is the one with eco/normal/sport switch.)

Same thing, it only requires pry tool, but it is tighter than cup holder, pry the part from the very back and work your way to the front, do not pry from either left or right side to the other, once the back side is lifted, then you can slowly apply even prying force from both left and right sides. As long as you don't yank it, you shouldn't have to worry about breaking it. Remember, TAKE YOUR TIME!

Now it's time to remove the buttons and the fuel injection mode control button, the fuel injection button it self is a clip, pry that off first, because you can't pull that thing from the bottom, then unscrew four screw at the bottom, finally release all the clip holders on the side and simply pull the whole thing from the bottom.

Then move on to the front center console piece, now you should be able to see the clips from the side since you removed the side panels at the beginning, just a reminder there is a clip kinda angled on each side, so work with the direction of the clip

Finally, unscrew the screws that holds the leather parts of the shift ****.

Let me know if you have further questions

Quick Reply: Center console removal