IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

F Sport Nuluxe Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-14, 04:46 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I doubt lexus would replace anyone's seat cushions no matter how hard they complain. Its a seat cushion. The more you sit in it the more malleable it becomes and stretches or creases. Its hard to really compare car by car because every driver is different. Some all smaller, some are taller, some are heavier, some are lighter, some are skinnier, some are wider, so I can see the it being different for every car. It would be normal wear and tear.

For a while Acura hit the nail on the head with leather bucket seats in the RSX and similar cars and it preserved the leather real nice along the years but they were the MOST UNCOMFORTABLE seats you can sit in. The cushions were an inch thick which is rather really small.

Even if Lexus replaced your cushions, those same creases would be back in 5 months or sooner
Old 04-16-14, 05:34 PM
LexusFsprt
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had this since the first week of owning my car... 5'10 185lb with my wallet in my rear pocket so...
Old 04-16-14, 05:37 PM
Atticus44
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya, I've had it since the first week as well... but I'm 5'9" 140lb with no wallet.. LOL!
Old 04-16-14, 05:55 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by NYKnick101
I doubt lexus would replace anyone's seat cushions no matter how hard they complain. Its a seat cushion.
Don't underestimate Lexus's service, although I truly believe not every dealer will go as far as mine did. Love them.

They replaced the following without fuss, simply because I showed them and I asked for repair/resolution:

1. '08 IS: Replaced the passenger headrest because I pointed out the stitching was slightly crooked even though my wife thought I was nuts.

2. '11 CT: Replaced the entire passenger seat tracks (manually operated, not power) because it slightly buzzed/rattled intermittently.

3. '11 CT: Replaced my entire steering wheel because of creases on the leather.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ct-...ing-wheel.html
Old 04-16-14, 08:28 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They should replace the seat as I do believe it's a slight defect that is causing this!

Mine was built 11/2013 and had it since 1/9/2014. Driver seat still looks new.
Old 04-17-14, 04:17 AM
mowerman
Rookie

I have a little over 5000 miles on mine (built in July 13) and they are as firm as new and no signs of the wrinkle or crease.
Im 185lbs too
Old 04-17-14, 04:43 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

4TehNguyen, SexyElaine, mowerman, myself, all have early builds and no issues whereas some of the later builds seem to have more of this issue. Although nothing conclusive, there is a correlation so far. Maybe SonyHome's build date of November might be the turning point for builds having an issue after that. Keep posting your build dates, but hard to draw a line in the sand so far - could just be coincidence.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 04-17-14 at 04:47 AM.
Old 04-17-14, 05:15 AM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

When I had Acura TL-S there were a lot of people that had their transmissions go out early, some even multiple times. Those who weren't having the issue thought it's probably people abusing the new sport shift feature of the transmission. Acura ended up extending the warranty on the tranny until 100K and mine went out on 90K.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, just because you don't have the issue now it doesn't mean you won't have the issue in the future especially if there are defects in design/mfg.

By the way mine was built week of Nov 18th.

Last edited by SonyHome; 04-17-14 at 05:18 AM.
Old 04-17-14, 05:20 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

I dont have my build date atm but I bought my car in Dec '13. 5'9, 145lbs, no slouching in seat, nothing in back pockets
Old 05-01-14, 06:58 AM
Kimchiguy
Pit Crew

Received 127 Likes on 62 Posts

Just a quick update to this - I went to the dealership yesterday and they already ordered and received a replacement part (not sure how much of the seat is going to be replaced, since the foam is attached to the outer shell). Whatever the case, they were very pleasant and responsive to work with and I'm scheduled to go in next week. Of all the aesthetic issues I've ever had with new cars (Nissan, Infiniti, VW) Lexus was by far the easiest to seek resolution.
Old 05-01-14, 07:32 AM
kangu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kimchiguy
Just a quick update to this - I went to the dealership yesterday and they already ordered and received a replacement part (not sure how much of the seat is going to be replaced, since the foam is attached to the outer shell). Whatever the case, they were very pleasant and responsive to work with and I'm scheduled to go in next week. Of all the aesthetic issues I've ever had with new cars (Nissan, Infiniti, VW) Lexus was by far the easiest to seek resolution.
What did you tell them? I have the same problem. Thanks in advance!
Old 05-01-14, 08:59 AM
Kimchiguy
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by kangu
What did you tell them? I have the same problem. Thanks in advance!
I simply went in for the first (1600 km inspection) service and showed them the crease. The service manager took a couple of photos, sent them to head office for review and they ordered the replacement part. I wasn't challenged nor made to feel that it was insignificant. It's at least a half day repair but one that they're happily taking on.

On another note, I asked about the low heat generation from the seat warmers and they advised that it's an unfortunate characteristic with F Sport Nuluxe seats. I'm not going to challenge this any further since I've been able to disable the timer to keep them at the warmest setting. At least the high capacity heater really works well!

P.S. - My IS350 AWD F Sport is a January 2014 build.
Old 05-01-14, 11:00 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kimchiguy
I simply went in for the first (1600 km inspection) service and showed them the crease. The service manager took a couple of photos, sent them to head office for review and they ordered the replacement part. I wasn't challenged nor made to feel that it was insignificant. It's at least a half day repair but one that they're happily taking on.

On another note, I asked about the low heat generation from the seat warmers and they advised that it's an unfortunate characteristic with F Sport Nuluxe seats. I'm not going to challenge this any further since I've been able to disable the timer to keep them at the warmest setting. At least the high capacity heater really works well!

P.S. - My IS350 AWD F Sport is a January 2014 build.
i'm glad you were able to get some kind of resolution.. keep us updated on how it goes. .

i starting to think that its all about angles/geometry. if your butt/back does not meet at the angle where the bottom cushion and back support comes together (for instance, your butt sits a couple inches up from the meeting angle) than the creases are created due to the slouching and your butt. that's really the only logical explanation.

but again my hardship has to due with the bottom rear right part of the cushion, seems the area is sinking a little bit at a time each day. this has nothing to do with be being picky but its really uncomfortable driving slightly slanted/uneven. i feel this more prevalently when i wear slacks and a belt because i can fee the left side of my belt digging into my waist but the right side is very slack. hmm seeing/readying what i wrote made me realized its a road hazzard to be driving like this plus it can't be good for my back/health. i should ask them to take a look and or change it.. my only concern would be what if the new seat then becomes even worst than the first?
Old 05-01-14, 11:40 AM
Kimchiguy
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by AdvanSLF
i'm glad you were able to get some kind of resolution.. keep us updated on how it goes. .

i starting to think that its all about angles/geometry. if your butt/back does not meet at the angle where the bottom cushion and back support comes together (for instance, your butt sits a couple inches up from the meeting angle) than the creases are created due to the slouching and your butt. that's really the only logical explanation.

but again my hardship has to due with the bottom rear right part of the cushion, seems the area is sinking a little bit at a time each day. this has nothing to do with be being picky but its really uncomfortable driving slightly slanted/uneven. i feel this more prevalently when i wear slacks and a belt because i can fee the left side of my belt digging into my waist but the right side is very slack. hmm seeing/readying what i wrote made me realized its a road hazzard to be driving like this plus it can't be good for my back/health. i should ask them to take a look and or change it.. my only concern would be what if the new seat then becomes even worst than the first?
The crease in my seat has essentially been there since I took delivery, but it sounds like your seat issues are getting progressively worse! I would definitely go to the dealership and have it looked at and repaired.

Like you, I was concerned with the possibility of the seat never being the same, or returned back to factory standards but the service manager assured me that they take very careful consideration and follow all factory specifications. Due to the very critical nature of how seats need to be mounted (so they don't move in a collision) and the explosive charges (airbags) that are contained within I feel confident that it will be repaired correctly.
Old 05-01-14, 01:38 PM
Pralix
Rookie

For those of you that are leasing and have this problem, get it in writing from the dealer that it is normal wear and tear. If they give you any grief for too much seat wear, throw it back at them.

Quick Reply: F Sport Nuluxe Problem