IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Considering 3IS versus Benz CLA coupe

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-14, 10:15 PM
smardav
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FSPORTJC
Wait for the new C-Class that looks like a compact S-Class if you want to go Mercedes.
+1. I love the design on the new C-Class. I want to get one myself.
Old 04-16-14, 12:13 AM
MBTC
Pole Position

Looked at the CLA class a little further and I think I will pass, as others have said. The more I look at it the more I just don't like it. It seems to be to Mercedes like Scion is to Toyota. Shifting on the column? Awkward.

Once again I keep coming back to the Lexus. The grill was a little controversial at first but honestly in terms of exterior they've probably taken the lead on overall design. I might even look at the RC.

One thing I do like about the upcoming C class is the CarPlay integration with iPhone. I hate to tie my car to my phone brand like that, but it seems a better option than paying 2 grand for an inferior nav system (assuming I'm understanding the feature set correctly).
Old 04-16-14, 12:13 AM
IntegresS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I drove both the CLA and the 3IS and I honestly enjoyed driving the CLA more. However, keep in mind that I have the IS250.

But, with that said-- the HP on the 250 is comparable to the HP on the CLA, yet the CLA feels faster. The torque on that car is amazing--The CLA has a small, quick spooling turbo to reach the high torque, even though it's got 208HP vs the 204 HP from the IS, and so it feels faster than the IS. In addition, being that it is FWD (I know it gets dinged for that), it feels there is less power loss to the wheels, so that may also be making it feel quicker. Though, if you're interested in the AWD, I'm not sure how that will feel since I only drove the FWD.

Multimedia interface is much quicker and easier to use than what's in the IS (mine is also an early build and possibly has bugs which cause my nav to freeze).

However, I do enjoy the interior design of the IS more than the CLA. And, as people have mentioned, the backseat in the CLA is a joke. It's not an issue for me, because I never have passengers in my car and I'm a small person, so it's rather cozy-- but I could see how that would be a major downfall for most.

I'd take one of each if I could lol
Attached Thumbnails Considering 3IS versus Benz CLA coupe-dsc_0941.jpg   Considering 3IS versus Benz CLA coupe-img_4809.jpg   Considering 3IS versus Benz CLA coupe-img_4808.jpg  
Old 04-16-14, 12:25 AM
MBTC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Slust
And I also said more than that. But I guess you missed that like I missed point behind the smiley.
I once heard someone say that if you want to be heard, pay close attention to your opening line. Yours just wasn't a very good one so I stopped there like you chopped my message, but its no harm done.

Last edited by MBTC; 04-16-14 at 12:32 AM.
Old 04-16-14, 12:27 AM
MBTC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IntegresS
I drove both the CLA and the 3IS and I honestly enjoyed driving the CLA more. However, keep in mind that I have the IS250.

But, with that said-- the HP on the 250 is comparable to the HP on the CLA, yet the CLA feels faster. The torque on that car is amazing--The CLA has a small, quick spooling turbo to reach the high torque, even though it's got 208HP vs the 204 HP from the IS, and so it feels faster than the IS. In addition, being that it is FWD (I know it gets dinged for that), it feels there is less power loss to the wheels, so that may also be making it feel quicker. Though, if you're interested in the AWD, I'm not sure how that will feel since I only drove the FWD.

Multimedia interface is much quicker and easier to use than what's in the IS (mine is also an early build and possibly has bugs which cause my nav to freeze).

However, I do enjoy the interior design of the IS more than the CLA. And, as people have mentioned, the backseat in the CLA is a joke. It's not an issue for me, because I never have passengers in my car and I'm a small person, so it's rather cozy-- but I could see how that would be a major downfall for most.

I'd take one of each if I could lol
Those are great pics, thanks for that. Didn't expect anyone would be able to produce side-by-side images When I see them separately I tend to prefer the IS. Do you have any more you could share?
Old 04-16-14, 02:50 AM
danzeit
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That CLA rear is butt ugly design....
Old 04-16-14, 06:47 AM
davey14
Driver School Candidate

Hi my name's David and I'm also in the market for a new sport sedan or sport coupe. I'm planning to get rid of my mitsubishi evo and since I'm getting older I'm leaning towards a more luxurious car. Right now I'm torn apart between a cla45amg, m235i and the is350 f sport. Yesterday was the first time I sat on the is350 and I fell in love with the interior. It was just so comfortable. My dilemma is I track about 3-4 times a year. I don't know if the Lexus is a good car to drive to work and at the same time take to the track? Of the 3 though I think the Lexus is the best priced since a cla45 with almost the same options would cost almost 60k, and the m235i is priced almost the same as the is but the interior is ugly.

Last edited by davey14; 04-16-14 at 06:50 AM.
Old 04-16-14, 06:53 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

few of us, including me, have already driven on the track with the 3IS, its a capable car. Remember it beat the 3 series in comparison tests. Factory tires are pretty lame, waiting for them to wear out to get better ones.

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 04-16-14 at 07:01 AM.
Old 04-16-14, 07:13 AM
davey14
Driver School Candidate

^Sorry that was kind of a stupid question. If money was not an option I would really consider an isf or the new m3/m4 since those are really trackable sport sedans but my budget is max at 50k so they are out of the equation. I'm just so in love with the Lexus right now and my girlfriend liked it as well when we both sat on it yesterday. The reason I'm asking is because I would let go of my daily driver and the evo so the is350 would be my daily and toy at the same time.
Old 04-16-14, 07:16 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

if you really want an ISF you should be able find a 2011 (best year to get) for 50k. It just wont have the new interior changes and tech of the 3IS.
Old 04-16-14, 07:21 AM
Crazyfans
Driver School Candidate

i appreciate this makes car even more interesting
Old 04-16-14, 07:23 AM
davey14
Driver School Candidate

^^ill look into that. Thanks bro. Btw, the 3is are really gorgeous. I might actually consider that instead and just buy a miata or an s2000 in the future. That way I'd have a nice daily and a very fun track car.
Old 04-16-14, 08:07 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

i was on the fence between ISF and 3IS but I eventually decided on 3IS since i wanted all the newer stuff. I had an 06 IS350 and getting an ISF would be like spending 45k+ on 80% the same car
Old 04-16-14, 08:37 AM
GSTONY
Lead Lap

If power is something you care for then go with the cla250, with just a ecu it made over 300 whp that's more power then a modded is 350. But if you don't care for power then the IS is a nice little car.
Old 04-16-14, 08:56 AM
davey14
Driver School Candidate

^i honestly don't care about much power. All I care about is the handling of the car in response to its power and weight. is350 already makes around 300hp to the crank and that is more than enough for me.

Quick Reply: Considering 3IS versus Benz CLA coupe