IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Considering 3IS versus Benz CLA coupe

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-14, 10:54 AM
3IS4ME
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by davey14
Hi my name's David and I'm also in the market for a new sport sedan or sport coupe. I'm planning to get rid of my mitsubishi evo and since I'm getting older I'm leaning towards a more luxurious car. Right now I'm torn apart between a cla45amg, m235i and the is350 f sport. Yesterday was the first time I sat on the is350 and I fell in love with the interior. It was just so comfortable. My dilemma is I track about 3-4 times a year. I don't know if the Lexus is a good car to drive to work and at the same time take to the track? Of the 3 though I think the Lexus is the best priced since a cla45 with almost the same options would cost almost 60k, and the m235i is priced almost the same as the is but the interior is ugly.
I just got my 350 Fsport about 6 weeks ago, coming from a 2011 STI with a couple grand in upgrades (sway bars, bushings, AP, etc). After fixing the retarded factory alignment, it handled almost perfectly neutrally and I never managed to break the tires loose. So, I think I was in roughly the same position as you. I chose the 350 F for the reliability (which knocks out BMW), interior, and handling. It does understeer in tight corners, but I plan on upgrading to Pilot Super Sports and increasing the front from 225 to 235. I think that will balance out the car a lot more.

In sum, the 3IS isn't quite in the same league handling wise, but it is surprisingly fun to drive and I don't really miss my STI at all.
Old 04-21-14, 09:53 AM
IntegresS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Glashub
Okay to be fair -- picture the MB as black with neon yellow wheels. Not every car can pull that look off.
Lol no need to imagine it when there's photoshop!
Attached Thumbnails Considering 3IS versus Benz CLA coupe-cla-yellow.jpg  
Old 04-22-14, 08:01 AM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Looks better in an IS, Jen.
Old 05-28-14, 01:24 PM
davey14
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 3IS4ME
I just got my 350 Fsport about 6 weeks ago, coming from a 2011 STI with a couple grand in upgrades (sway bars, bushings, AP, etc). After fixing the retarded factory alignment, it handled almost perfectly neutrally and I never managed to break the tires loose. So, I think I was in roughly the same position as you. I chose the 350 F for the reliability (which knocks out BMW), interior, and handling. It does understeer in tight corners, but I plan on upgrading to Pilot Super Sports and increasing the front from 225 to 235. I think that will balance out the car a lot more.

In sum, the 3IS isn't quite in the same league handling wise, but it is surprisingly fun to drive and I don't really miss my STI at all.
I ended up getting the 335i m sport with m performance pack. I just can't stand the cla45's rear that's why I opted for the bimmer. I thought about the is350 f sport for a while but when I went to the dealership they snobbed me and wouldn't even let me test drive the car so I went to BMW and with no questions asked they handed me the keys. I guess customer service is one of the deal breakers for me. Lol

Last edited by davey14; 05-28-14 at 08:49 PM.
Old 05-28-14, 03:32 PM
finalhope
Rookie

I ended up getting the 335i m sport with m performance pack. I just can't stand the cla45's rear that's why I opted for the bimmer. I thought about the is350 f sport for a while but when I went to the dealership they snobbed me and wouldn't even let me test drive the car so I went to BMW and with no questions asked they just asked for my license and handed me the keys. I guess customer service is one of the deal breakers for me. Lol
It really depends on the dealership and specifically the salesperson you encounter. Lexus has premium customer service in my opinion.
Old 05-28-14, 04:32 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I ended up getting the 335i m sport with m performance pack. I just can't stand the cla45's rear that's why I opted for the bimmer. I thought about the is350 f sport for a while but when I went to the dealership they snobbed me and wouldn't even let me test drive the car so I went to BMW and with no questions asked they just asked for my license and handed me the keys. I guess customer service is one of the deal breakers for me. Lol
Good choice. The m sport package looks beautiful
Old 05-29-14, 11:05 AM
WWM
Rookie

I considered a CLA45, but the FWD biased AWD, 4 doors, price and concerns over reliability and real-world performance of the heavily boosted engine turned me off. Would have been much more attractive if it had a twin-turbo 6 running less boost and making more torque.
Old 05-29-14, 12:48 PM
RA101722
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before the current IS I had a Mercedes B-Class - as family car - which basically is the same car as the CLA, at least in the interiors and in the engine range (except for the AMG version), and I can only say bad things about that car and Mercedes Benz service.

First of all, as many people here stated, the Lexus IS is in another league and the direct competitor is the new Mercedes C-Class which can compete in every aspect but personally I think the IS is superior in everything and I'm saying this because I had a test drive on both cars (I tested a diesel C 220 CDI).

The CLA is based on the A Class which basically is a "premium" hatchback and if you compare that car to its direct competitor CT 200h you will see huge differences in the build quality and materials and as the IS is even more luxurious than the CT...do the math.

Now, I don't know the prices for the US Market for the CLA but I'm sure that if you want to build the CLA like the, for example, IS F-Sport trim you're gonna have an heart attack looking at the final price and the same goes for the C Class. If I build a C 200 (2 liters petrol turbo 4 cyl - 184 hp), with the same trim and gadgets as my IS, the final price is...55.000€ when the IS (wich is hybrid* and has automatic transmission as standard) costs 10.000€ less.

*The Hybrid has to be compared to the diesel motorization for the higher price than a standard petrol engine and in that case we have to add 2000€ to the 55.000€ for the petrol C Class.

Second: You live in America so PLEASE get a V6 engine, leave the little turbo to we, Europeans, that have to pay a fortune at the gas station.

Last thing, more important, I had a very bad experience with the MB customer service and because of that I decided to get rid of my previous MB and jump in the Lexus family.

Basically the interiors of my B Class were nice to see, good visual impact, but made in economy so there were rattles on the dashboard and everytime on the radio there were a track with huge bass sound both the internal doors coveragec creaked like ****.

I've been 4 times to my dealer basically for this problem (but I also had two minor issues) and when they realized they can't fix the noises the customer manager told me, literally, that "YOU'RE SEARCHING IN THIS CAR THE QUALITIES OF AN S CLASS".

I mean...REALLY? 30.000€ premium car and I can't have a proper assembly?

Well **** Mercedes and the fake legendary German build quality...

This isn't an isolated case, if you want to search on every forum about A-B-CLA class you'll find desperate people talking about that.

So basically: don't go for the CLA but instead take a look at the new C Class and then make your choice.

Last edited by RA101722; 05-29-14 at 12:53 PM.
Old 05-30-14, 03:37 PM
nvbirdman
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If gas mileage is a factor, try doing the math. At four dollars per gallon, a car that gets twenty five miles per gallon will cost $2667 more than a car that gets thirty miles per gallon over one hundred thousand miles.
Personally, I couldn't care less.
Old 05-30-14, 03:42 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by SadmanISHF
Before the current IS I had a Mercedes B-Class - as family car - which basically is the same car as the CLA, at least in the interiors and in the engine range (except for the AMG version), and I can only say bad things about that car and Mercedes Benz service.

First of all, as many people here stated, the Lexus IS is in another league and the direct competitor is the new Mercedes C-Class which can compete in every aspect but personally I think the IS is superior in everything and I'm saying this because I had a test drive on both cars (I tested a diesel C 220 CDI).

The CLA is based on the A Class which basically is a "premium" hatchback and if you compare that car to its direct competitor CT 200h you will see huge differences in the build quality and materials and as the IS is even more luxurious than the CT...do the math.

Now, I don't know the prices for the US Market for the CLA but I'm sure that if you want to build the CLA like the, for example, IS F-Sport trim you're gonna have an heart attack looking at the final price and the same goes for the C Class. If I build a C 200 (2 liters petrol turbo 4 cyl - 184 hp), with the same trim and gadgets as my IS, the final price is...55.000€ when the IS (wich is hybrid* and has automatic transmission as standard) costs 10.000€ less.

*The Hybrid has to be compared to the diesel motorization for the higher price than a standard petrol engine and in that case we have to add 2000€ to the 55.000€ for the petrol C Class.

Second: You live in America so PLEASE get a V6 engine, leave the little turbo to we, Europeans, that have to pay a fortune at the gas station.

Last thing, more important, I had a very bad experience with the MB customer service and because of that I decided to get rid of my previous MB and jump in the Lexus family.

Basically the interiors of my B Class were nice to see, good visual impact, but made in economy so there were rattles on the dashboard and everytime on the radio there were a track with huge bass sound both the internal doors coveragec creaked like ****.

I've been 4 times to my dealer basically for this problem (but I also had two minor issues) and when they realized they can't fix the noises the customer manager told me, literally, that "YOU'RE SEARCHING IN THIS CAR THE QUALITIES OF AN S CLASS".

I mean...REALLY? 30.000€ premium car and I can't have a proper assembly?

Well **** Mercedes and the fake legendary German build quality...

This isn't an isolated case, if you want to search on every forum about A-B-CLA class you'll find desperate people talking about that.

So basically: don't go for the CLA but instead take a look at the new C Class and then make your choice.

Thanks for the detailed review and experiences you had. Although no car is immune to squeaks and rattles especially the car experiences extreme cabin temperature fluctuations (freezing to hot), Lexus build quality is tough to beat. My 3IS has been the most solid-feeling car I've owned to date, surpassing my current RX, past CT and 2IS.
Old 05-30-14, 04:50 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Center console squeaks are pretty common on 3IS mainly because plastic trim pieces are used. Even after applying felt it still squeaks. Otherwise it has been pretty solid.