Questions to (the few) UltraSonic Blue Mica owners

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-14, 05:25 PM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Questions to (the few) UltraSonic Blue Mica owners

Hi all.

My USB IS350 will be here in about 6-8 weeks and I'm wondering how USB owners deal with paint, keeping the car clean, swirls, stone chips, etc? I'm probably going to end up with swirls because I can't wash the car at home and taking it to a profe$$ional detailer every time isn't reasonable. Do swirls show up a lot? Any close up pics?

I don't intend to put a clear bra on the car because it's a lease (waste of money IMO). but I'd like some opinions and advice from USB owners about general paint/color maintenance. How is USB on a day-to-day basis?

Thanks!
Old 04-10-14, 05:31 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1. Wash the car yourself using a 2 water bucket system every 2 weeks at minimum. Google it if you don't know.
2. NEVER go through machine wash and NEVER do any wash in dealership.
3. Have a quick detailer with you and get the bird drops clean as soon as possible using microfiber, not paper.
4. Apply Opticoat paint protection system as soon as possible if you want to keep it nice for years. Google Opticoat for more information.

I'm a detailing freak when it comes to paint protection.
Old 04-10-14, 05:54 PM
KumaF
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why would you care that much if is just a lease? Personally I won't even put opti-coat on a leased car.
Old 04-10-14, 06:03 PM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

Well you're right. On the other hand I will be keeping this car 3 years so I want it to look the best possible... of course without putting money that will benefit the dealer when I return it back
Old 04-10-14, 09:28 PM
Kimchiguy
Pit Crew

Received 127 Likes on 62 Posts

I've had my USB IS350 for 3 weeks now and I've gone through a few Shell touchless washes, and once through the soft cloth. I've noticed the paint quality with Lexus is truly among the best in the industry, so I'd imagine it to be pretty resilient. I used to have a non-metallic black car and that was the worst to show scratches and swirls in the sunlight. The nice thing about Mica paint is that the pearly metallic flakes help to cover up scratches and swirls. At any rate, I'm pretty sure you'll be happy with the USB! Some days it looks purple, other days it looks blue!
Old 04-11-14, 07:08 AM
Kimchiguy
Pit Crew

It's not a closeup, but I just had it washed last night at an automatic touch-less wash. Wiped it down with a microfiber cloth to get any of the residue off.
Attached Thumbnails Questions to (the few) UltraSonic Blue Mica owners-img_20140411_091009.jpg  
Old 04-11-14, 09:44 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I really love this color and also the LFA wheels. This looks awesome!
Old 04-12-14, 08:18 PM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

Thanks for the input everyone!

@Kimchiguy : beautiful picture... makes the wait even harder! I see you folded the mirrors... it's a shame we don't get electric folding mirrors
Old 04-12-14, 09:17 PM
Kimchiguy
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Aeromotive
Thanks for the input everyone!

@Kimchiguy : beautiful picture... makes the wait even harder! I see you folded the mirrors... it's a shame we don't get electric folding mirrors
Thanks!! Hopefully the next few weeks go by quickly! Then you can enjoy your new IS for the summer!
I always manually fold in my mirrors when parked so it's become second nature. But I agree, power folding mirrors are something that the Japanese seem to neglect - yet Germans consistently offer.
Old 04-12-14, 09:22 PM
SexyElaine
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kimchiguy
It's not a closeup, but I just had it washed last night at an automatic touch-less wash. Wiped it down with a microfiber cloth to get any of the residue off.
That looks soooo sexy !!! If it were available here in the U.S. I would've gotten this instead !!!!
Old 04-12-14, 09:41 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

^^^Elaine, NJ to Quebec or Ontario is only an 8hr drive. I do it every year going to Wildwood, Ocean City, Cape May... Love the Jersey shore!

Aeromotive. I've had not issues with my USB paint so far other than not being able to be stealthy. People know who you are, where you are, and so on in this car.

I've cleaned my car 4-5 times this winter with highly controversial waterless car wash for both my F-Sports and USB (and Nebula Gray) have negligible hairline swirls and scratches. You have to look really close (< 1 ft) to see the odd set here and there. I've been using waterless products over the last three winters without issue. So if you can't wash your car at home because of water availability, this is a good option, BUT, you need several microfiber cloths to do it right without scratching your paint.

One quick additional comment. I see you're coming from a white 3-series. Since white barely ever shows swirls and fine scratches, relative to this, you will need to be a little more careful with USB.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 04-12-14 at 09:49 PM.
Old 04-13-14, 05:53 AM
bradtopp
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a word of caution ... touchless washes are fine but do NOT dry your car with a towel afterward. It WILL scratch your car since the touchless wash does not remove all of the dirt. If you insist on drying afterward use a Quick Detailer (I use Griots) spray along with your microfiber towel. I still wouldn't recommend this but thought I would warn you.

Originally Posted by Kimchiguy
Old 04-13-14, 07:05 AM
wednesday
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I don't have a 3IS yet, but my 2IS is USB. I lease but put a clear bra on mine because I absolutely hate rock chips and these cars are prone to them. I can imagine they would show on this color because I ended up with some fine scratches on the side of my car and they are very noticeable. I don't think the color shows dirt too bad but at night (under artificial lighting) any swirl marks can be seen clearly, not so much during the day. Mine had swirl marks when I got it (from the dealer washing it) but since I have had it, only I wash it.

It really is an amazing color and I am hoping there is a way for me to get a '15 model in USB when my lease ends in late July.
Old 04-13-14, 07:33 AM
Kimchiguy
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by SexyElaine
That looks soooo sexy !!! If it were available here in the U.S. I would've gotten this instead !!!!
Ultra White is pretty hot too and the red interiors look amazing!
Old 04-13-14, 07:39 AM
Kimchiguy
Pit Crew

Unhappy

Originally Posted by bradtopp
Just a word of caution ... touchless washes are fine but do NOT dry your car with a towel afterward. It WILL scratch your car since the touchless wash does not remove all of the dirt. If you insist on drying afterward use a Quick Detailer (I use Griots) spray along with your microfiber towel. I still wouldn't recommend this but thought I would warn you.
Thanks for the tip!! I often see that film that is left behind but never really gave it much thought until now. I'll pick up some of that detailer. I live in a condo with a parking garage so no hand washing is allowed. Plus, most coin operated washes around here don't allow bucket washing. Makes it difficult to give your car the attention it deserves!

Quick Reply: Questions to (the few) UltraSonic Blue Mica owners