IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Cupholders suck!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-14, 07:10 AM
jcheng
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cupholders suck!

Is it me or do the cupholders suck? Normal cars have rubber or spring-action fins that keeps drink from rolling around especially taller, thinner cups.

Tall drinks roll around spilling stuff everywhere and when I'm driving with the windows down and have a empty can, I have to hold it down so the pressure doesn't blow the can out of the holders!
Old 04-09-14, 07:11 AM
FSPORTJC
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah they are pretty basic... my BMW has like rubber things that expand to hold bigger cups nice and snug and then get smaller for smaller cups. Lexus just carved holes in for cup holders. lmao
Old 04-09-14, 01:29 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jcheng
Is it me or do the cupholders suck? Normal cars have rubber or spring-action fins that keeps drink from rolling around especially taller, thinner cups.

Tall drinks roll around spilling stuff everywhere and when I'm driving with the windows down and have a empty can, I have to hold it down so the pressure doesn't blow the can out of the holders!
I believe it is a detail that has been overlooked in 3IS or it is an overdue "feature since 1IS (ie. Altezza). In the past, they decided to skim on the details because for 1st and 2nd gen IS, there is a cover for the cup holders.

But if you look at pictures of the interior of RC/RC-F which is closely similar in design, Lexus has already updated the design of the cup holders with claws or springs because the design does have flaws.

Hopefully this will be fixed in the mid-cycle update of the 3IS.

Last edited by AndyL; 04-09-14 at 02:09 PM.
Old 04-09-14, 01:41 PM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i agree with everyone, the cup holders are pretty shiitake! why couldn't they work on fine tuning the basics instead of pouring in money to stupid crap like the electrostatic thumb sliding thing?! honestly, isn't that hard to turn a ****--its probably even faster to do it with a ****!!!

they could have used the money to make better cup holders or even the seats! has anyone noticed the right bottom cushion (in the rear near the seat belt buckle) of the driver seat is a bit softer and unsupported than the left side? no for real go push down on it to test! i'm a sucker for details like that as my butt (like Niki Lauda) can feel the imbalances. plus my back isn't to great, so that too triggers me to think about the seat unsupportedness (spell check lol).
Old 04-09-14, 01:58 PM
smardav
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont allow anything but bottled water in my car. So the cupholders works fine for me. :-)
Old 04-09-14, 02:00 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Maybe we can replace the ones from RC to our car. It's pretty easy to remove the remote touch interface trim.
Old 04-09-14, 02:10 PM
jcheng
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
Maybe we can replace the ones from RC to our car. It's pretty easy to remove the remote touch interface trim.
Only if the wire harness is long enough and I'm sure the plugs are going to be different. Time to find the wiring diagrams and connector plugs!
Old 04-09-14, 02:25 PM
DizzyEdge
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smardav
I dont allow anything but bottled water in my car. So the cupholders works fine for me. :-)
Same here.

Plus my kids can't eat or drink or chew anything while in the car.
And any carryout food must be in the trunk in a plastic bag or two.

We use a different vehicle for road trips.
Old 04-09-14, 02:34 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Storage was among the last things on Lexus's list when it comes to the latest IS, ES and GS.
Old 04-09-14, 02:34 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by jcheng
Only if the wire harness is long enough and I'm sure the plugs are going to be different. Time to find the wiring diagrams and connector plugs!
I meant just replacing the cup holders, but it looks like RC cup holders are much bigger.
Old 01-25-15, 07:19 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Aside from being shallow and basic, the cupholders are also just slightly smaller than all standard North American travel mugs and water bottles! Incredibly frustrating! The only thing they are good for is plastic bottled water and up to a medium sized disposable coffee cup.

Has anyone found a good quality thermal mug and water bottle that fits? My favorite is the Contigo series from Costco but they don't fit
Old 01-25-15, 11:16 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

They suck but it's better than my Honda Prelude's! Seems like it's in the way too when i drive with one arm.
Old 01-25-15, 11:38 PM
theoryguy3
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah they do. They're just in a few awkward position and doesn't accommodate a lot of cup sizes. I think they going for minimalistic and couldn't really fit it anywhere. I would have like a pop-up version from the console.
Old 01-25-15, 11:41 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Anyone care to post a picture of the cupholders. Fellow curious 2GS member here
Old 01-25-15, 11:42 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Off topic but does anyone use the accessory ashtray cup for coins?

Quick Reply: Cupholders suck!