IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3is OEM tires replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-14, 08:03 AM
smardav
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jcheng
I'm running the gforce comp 2 and really quiet and very nice in the rain!
I'm not sure about BF Goodrich. Its a cheap Michelin basically. Do you think the quality will be as good as michelin? Assuming $$ is not the issue
Old 04-07-14, 08:03 AM
smardav
Lead Lap

Anyone heard about Michelin Premier All-Season? Its brand new and will hit the shelf this April.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...re-review.html

What do you guys think?
Old 04-07-14, 08:27 AM
crazych42
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You all are comparing different type/category of tires... How can you compare an ultra performance all season to an ultra performance summer to a touring all season tire? It's almost like comparing apples and oranges... I would say figure out what tire type you want and then research at tirerack or discount tire the tires in that category and select the best that you can afford that meets your requirements. I did alot of research for ultra high performance all seasons for my previous car (Acura TL) and the Continental DWS were the best for the money and highly rated by consumers. Unless I find a better tire for the money I will be going with these when I replace my current wheels with 19s.
Old 04-07-14, 09:45 AM
jcheng
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by smardav
I'm not sure about BF Goodrich. Its a cheap Michelin basically. Do you think the quality will be as good as michelin? Assuming $$ is not the issue
Where are you getting your info from? And which michelin are you comparing it to?
These BFG's do everything I need for the price I want.

What category of tires are you looking for? You seem to compare A/S to HPS to Touring?
Old 04-07-14, 10:27 AM
smardav
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jcheng

Where are you getting your info from? And which michelin are you comparing it to?
These BFG's do everything I need for the price I want.

What category of tires are you looking for? You seem to compare A/S to HPS to Touring?
BFG is owned by Michelin now. They are supposed to be the cheaper version of Michelin - while supposedly keep maintaining Michelin quality.

And I'm not sure about the type of tires I want yet. Thats why I'm gathering opinions on both All Season and Summer tires.
Old 04-07-14, 12:16 PM
KumaF
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would get the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's once my OEM tires wore out.
Old 04-07-14, 01:32 PM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by jhs82
Dunlop Sport Maxx RT. Way better than the previous TT when it comes to noise.
My car came equipped with the dunlops maxx and I would not recommend dunlops to any one who cares about noise as they are very noisy . The good thing about them is that they are soft which is good for speed bumps , does not wear quickly and their performance is good or over the average but not as good as the PSS . These tyres are noisy from the begining , but now after putting 10k of miles on them I started to hear a noise like wo wo wo on a certain speeds , and this result is similar to the one obtained from my old car equipped with dunlop .
Old 04-08-14, 01:27 AM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by AMNss
My car came equipped with the dunlops maxx and I would not recommend dunlops to any one who cares about noise as they are very noisy . The good thing about them is that they are soft which is good for speed bumps , does not wear quickly and their performance is good or over the average but not as good as the PSS . These tyres are noisy from the begining , but now after putting 10k of miles on them I started to hear a noise like wo wo wo on a certain speeds , and this result is similar to the one obtained from my old car equipped with dunlop .
Are those RT or TT? RT are updated TTs, and less noisy than the TTs.
Old 04-08-14, 10:41 PM
UncleSpud
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smardav
What kind of car is it that uses the DWS? I kind of lean towards michelin more than continental. Anyone have used PSS before?
I'm using Michelin Pilot Super Sports on my Mustang GT. Sensational tire, terrific feel, minimal noise, good in the wet, wear well. I've also used Continental DW's (not the DWS which is an all-season tire) on my wife's previous car. Great tire for the money, a bit noisy, softer compound, but not quite up to the level of the MPSS.

The only caveat about the Michelins is price: I paid $305/tire from TireRack for 255-40-19's. Worth it to me though, since they transformed the handling on my Mustang. MPSS will be the replacement tire on my FSport.
Old 04-10-14, 01:48 PM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Are those RT or TT? RT are updated TTs, and less noisy than the TTs.
Well I don't if its RT or TT , but the writing on them is "sp sport maxx 050 " .

Anyway these are not my first dunlop tires , since I had dunlops on my other car and I had to change them due to high noise ...

Last edited by AMNss; 04-10-14 at 02:04 PM.
Old 04-10-14, 03:04 PM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Just replaced the oem Bridgestones with Continental DWS. Much less noisy and comfortable ride.
Old 04-10-14, 03:09 PM
magne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the EU it is now mandatory to mark all tyres with noice level.

How truthful the tests that the companies preform are, can probably be discussed.

I'll probably try either michelins, goodyear or vredestein tyres.
Vredestein are the tyres avalible in 255-35-18 that have the lowest EU noice specs.
Goodyear are not that expensive and have the correct dimension. Heard some good things about the tyres to. They are supposed to very quiet.
Michelin I've used before with good results. Problem is that I want the correct 255\35-18 tires. And michelin only makes the Pilot sport 3 in that dimension. And the ps3 tyre is a bit noicy.
Old 04-11-14, 04:32 AM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Well I don't if its RT or TT , but the writing on them is "sp sport maxx 050 " .

Anyway these are not my first dunlop tires , since I had dunlops on my other car and I had to change them due to high noise ...
The 050 is an entirely different tire.
The sport maxx is an entire family of tires, each with its own capabilities.

Shure, Dunlop isn't known for quiet tires, but it seems they got a hang of it with the RT. The RT is 3dB quieter than the TT. The 050 is not tested.

On the left, the 050, middle, the TT, and on the right, the RT.
Attached Thumbnails 3is OEM tires replacement-dunlop.jpg  
Old 04-11-14, 07:38 AM
AMNss
Lead Lap

The 050 is an entirely different tire.
The sport maxx is an entire family of tires, each with its own capabilities.

Shure, Dunlop isn't known for quiet tires, but it seems they got a hang of it with the RT. The RT is 3dB quieter than the TT. The 050 is not tested.

On the left, the 050, middle, the TT, and on the right, the RT.
I looked for the RT and it seems that it is rated as one if the quitest !
Anyway I'm not sure if I want to buy another dumlop after my bad experience with them , so if you are going for the RT give me your feedback after testing them as I will get them too if they are good .
Old 04-11-14, 09:14 AM
jhs82
Lead Lap

I looked for the RT and it seems that it is rated as one if the quitest !
That's why i'm getting them.

Anyway I'm not sure if I want to buy another dumlop after my bad experience with them , so if you are going for the RT give me your feedback after testing them as I will get them too if they are good .
Shure will.

Quick Reply: 3is OEM tires replacement