IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Delivery issue with my 2014 IS350 FSPORT

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-14, 11:52 AM
craigsager
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scarboy693
I haven't run front plates on my cars in Socal for a while now and never got stopped for it.. Knock on Wood.. Tho CHP doesn't really say anything until they stop you for something else..

Same here. 8 years running on my current car w/o front plates. Been pulled over a few times for other infractions but rarely do cops go check the front plates. They've docked me for tinted windows and such. *knock on wood* as well. lol.

The only thing is this car attracts attention towards the front grill so a cop may more likely notice your missing plates.
Old 04-02-14, 12:43 PM
scarboy693
Rookie

Funny thing is.. I've sat right behind a cop in Irvine a few times. once was even a motorcycle one.. looked at my car but didn't say anything
Old 04-02-14, 05:42 PM
dat dude
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bambam350
Hi all,

This is my first time writing in any forum actually. I was hoping to get your opinion on something. I just picked up my is350 fsport yesterday. And before delivery I specified that i did not want drill holes in the grill as i was going to mount it on the side of the car. The GM of lexus downtown agreed it was done. However when I picked up the car I should have checked but in all the excitement I simply drove it home. I come home and find out there are drill holes in the front. Now what do you guys think I should do? I called the dealership and let the secretary know about my issue, she said shell let the GM know and call me back. Is there any way i can fill it in? I know its a minor issue but its really bothering me.

Thanks
Message the OWNER of the dealership.
Old 04-02-14, 06:52 PM
Kimchiguy
Pit Crew

Received 127 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Bambam350
Hey guys I appreciate all your advice. I spoke to the dealership and they were very accommodating. I received a call back within 2 hours and the person I spoke with informed me that they will swap my grill with a new car upon my second delivery date. Not once did they try denying it or getting out of it. This is my first time buying a lexus and i am very satisfied with the customer service. However, in the future i will make sure i have some sort of written document.

Thanks guys, And i will post pictures very soon in the Intro thread.
I may be in the minority, but I actually don't mind having the plate on the front. It helps break up the grill. Even if Ontario didn't forcibly require front plates, I would have considered putting on a JDM plate haha.

Aside from this botched delivery, how did you find your eexperience at Lexus DT? That's where I picked up mine.
Old 04-02-14, 07:06 PM
bradtopp
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do not potentially invite "the man" into your life if your state requires a front plate. Mount it with a tow hook kit or just use the holes and move on with your life.

Reality is not having a plate on the front if it is required just gives the police a reason to pull you over if they are in a bad mood. Not worth the hassle.
Old 04-02-14, 09:21 PM
craigsager
Rookie

How hard is it to drill the holes yourself if you opt for the dealer not to?
Old 04-03-14, 04:17 AM
bradtopp
Pit Crew

Very simple. There are dimples indicating where to drill.
Old 04-03-14, 05:25 AM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

OP, glad you sorted this out. This is one big $ loss for the dealer! Unless they plan to repair that and put it on another car... which would be totally wrong.
Old 04-03-14, 05:31 AM
bradtopp
Pit Crew

Why would it be wrong? They are going to install the license bracket on the grill with the holes drilled and put it on another car. The buyer of that car will see the bracket and buy the car.

The dealer will lose no money on this.

Glad it is working out for the OP.

Originally Posted by Aeromotive
OP, glad you sorted this out. This is one big $ loss for the dealer! Unless they plan to repair that and put it on another car... which would be totally wrong.
Old 04-03-14, 05:51 AM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

Oh you're right... I live in Quebec where we don't have these I see this as pure torture for such a nice grill!
Old 04-03-14, 01:41 PM
Bambam350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kimchiguy
I may be in the minority, but I actually don't mind having the plate on the front. It helps break up the grill. Even if Ontario didn't forcibly require front plates, I would have considered putting on a JDM plate haha.

Aside from this botched delivery, how did you find your eexperience at Lexus DT? That's where I picked up mine.
I actually thought they were pretty good with the entire process aside from this. Lol im 19 so at first i dont think they took me seriously but eventually they figured out I was all business. Also i traded in my 09 Mitsubishi lancer and they gave me no problems concerning that. Overall good exp, I'll probably be back.
Old 04-03-14, 01:51 PM
Vairox
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by bradtopp
Do not potentially invite "the man" into your life if your state requires a front plate. Mount it with a tow hook kit or just use the holes and move on with your life.

Reality is not having a plate on the front if it is required just gives the police a reason to pull you over if they are in a bad mood. Not worth the hassle.
I agree, exactly why I don't tint my windows either. I remember when I had my 350z a cop pulled me over I was going over 50 on a surface street, I thought I'm screwed! He asks me "do you know why I pulled you over" of course I say no, he says "You don't have a front plate" then writes me a ticket for no front plate, $120 something dollars. Don't give em a reason.
Old 04-03-14, 09:30 PM
nvbirdman
Driver School Candidate

When I bought my IS, the salesman told me the front plate was not required in Nevada, so I looked up the information on the DMV website , printed it out and put it with my registration and proof of insurance. Haven't needed it yet.
I had something else I wanted to mount on the front of the grill, so I used the butterfly type hollow wall fasteners. No drilling, just slip through the grill openings.