IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

VGRS feature

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-14, 10:01 PM
Abied
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VGRS feature

Does all is 350 f sports come with the VGRS feature?.I'f not how can I tell if I have it?
Old 04-01-14, 12:09 AM
morton87
Rookie

Originally Posted by Abied
Does all is 350 f sports come with the VGRS feature?.I'f not how can I tell if I have it?
If i am not mistaken its an option available only on the only the RWD versions.
Old 04-01-14, 12:33 AM
scarboy693
Rookie

It is an option only on RWD 350 and it rolls in power adjusting steering column
Old 04-01-14, 06:28 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

scarboy693 is correct, VGRS is not a standalone option--it's paired with power telescopetic tilt/steering. i really wanted to power telescoptic tilt/steering (and VGRS) but couldn't find one at the time on a white/red f-sport.

quite frankly VGRS is a little overrated. some people say they can barely feel the difference. some people are more effective drivers than others and say they can. my point on it is the non-VGRS has a great steering/turning ratio and angle already. we've also lived this long without VGRS like technology... so if it's not drastically going to improve the car then skip it.
Old 04-01-14, 07:44 AM
IS350S2K
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I ordered vgrs as a separate option and have the telescoping steering column. So owners who don't have vgrs don't have the telescoping column? I thought it was standard.

I notice a difference with vgrs and like the boosted more sensitive feel. Almost on par with my s2k. Feels fine without it as well.
Old 04-01-14, 08:18 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

the car comes standard with telescoping steering, however, with VGRS, you get the powered assist telescoping steering.
Old 04-01-14, 08:19 AM
Abied
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for clarifying things, I thought my is350 f sport came with it but I don't have the power tilt just a manual telescopic steering wheel
Old 04-03-14, 06:45 AM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

personally i like it, i can feel the difference! but the reality is unless you have a chance to drive mountain roads or on a track it is of little benefit in real world driving habits.
to that end, i will also say that the adjustable damping on the shocks is something that you may not appreciate with normal driving.

also because my car in an 8 speed and it won't upshift past 6th gear in sport+ mode i find myself driving in normal mode most of the time. i seem to look for fuel economy more of the time than i care about spirited driving.
if the car would use all 8 gears i would drive in sport mode more often and if the car would start up in the mode i last used i would use those modes more often.
Old 04-03-14, 07:15 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

The car can shift past 6th gear, up to 8th. Of course you have to do it manually, because in it's root, its still an automatic--the computer calibrates rpm band and speed, therefore you're never really going fast enough to get it in 7th or 8th gear while in sport/sport+. really the 7th and 8th gears aren't it's purpose for sport/sport+, those really are for more economical reasons in everyday driving. however, i can see how if you're regulated by fuel flow consumption like Formula 1 is this year, then yeah those 7th and 8th gears are necessary when you're going 200 mph down the straight.

also, what do you mean by the dampening is not something i'll appreciate? regardless of VRGS, the adjustable dampening is great between normal driving to spirited/tracking driving. personally, the dampening is amazing to me--what a great balance of comfort and stiffness. my camry is a freaking boat on wheels, my DC5 (with s-techs and ITR struts) feels like i have no struts or springs for support. what would only make it better is if it were truly adaptive, where in regardless of any mode, it's constantly calibrating and adjusting (i think the bimmers adaptive suspension is like this).