IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

ACH canyon run - IS350 F-Sport RWD

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-14, 12:09 AM
r0shiro
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default ACH canyon run - IS350 F-Sport RWD

heres a vid of my first canyon run with the IS. i felt confident enough with the suspension and the rubber so i decided...why not? The S2K-CR led the pack (driver Mike Kang) followed by Ted Park in a turbo-ed BRZ and Julio in the supercharged FRS. These gents are veteran track drivers and it was challenging keeping up with them. pushing it to these limits its obvious the car needs to be stiffer and lighter. I have at least 800lbs over any one of those cars. the body roll was definitely there around 65mph+ and the seats didn't quite cut it either. we grabbed a bite in little tokyo afterwards and it was there i decided it was time for some weight loss and some strengthening. operation weight loss is in full effect...bye bye interior?...

I was able to hang with the guys but as you'll hear, the fender lining rubbing kept me from pushing it harder... =/ so i have to fix that issue first. anyways...i got my first battle scars. some chips on the bumper but the windshield took the biggest beating. two big rock chips (you'll hear me say something) and some tiny ones...i pretty much aged it about two years in about 1.5 hours of driving. lol. this was inevitable with the path I've chosen for the car. enjoy!

Old 03-31-14, 12:16 AM
nayuta
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you lowered on big wheels or did you rub on the stock F-Sport setup? That extra 800 lbs surely is the reason why those BRZ and FRS are so ahead but their interiors can't hold a candle to the IS.

Video is private by the way.
Old 03-31-14, 12:36 AM
ISDAS
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 27 Posts

nice run! I think you did pretty well considering the specs of the cars infront!

car sounded great - you didnt switch to manual though?

Last edited by ISDAS; 03-31-14 at 12:44 AM.
Old 03-31-14, 12:43 AM
r0shiro
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nayuta
Are you lowered on big wheels or did you rub on the stock F-Sport setup? That extra 800 lbs surely is the reason why those BRZ and FRS are so ahead but their interiors can't hold a candle to the IS.

Video is private by the way.
I'm lowered on bigger wheels. and at the most i kept a two car length gap between me and the FRS in front of me. i had no trouble keeping up but i knew i could've pushed it harder if it wasn't for the fenders in the back of my head. =)

Originally Posted by ISDAS
private will watch when fixed
sorry about that...will fix that now.
Old 03-31-14, 01:31 AM
Larry96815
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to show my ignorance. What and where is ACH Canyon?
Old 03-31-14, 07:23 AM
JGard18
Pole Position

stock suspension or at least firmer and stock wheels and no rubbing. Talk about form over function there...
Old 03-31-14, 07:54 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, if he ate in Little Tokyo which is downtown LA -- I'd guess it had to be the canyons up around Glendale/Pasadena -- great canyon roads to run up there. But I could be totally wrong.
Old 03-31-14, 08:37 AM
r0shiro
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JGard18
stock suspension or at least firmer and stock wheels and no rubbing. Talk about form over function there...
at the speeds we were going the stock suspension and the stock wheels(rubber) wouldnt have cut it. I wouldve been sliding everywhere. knowing because ive taken the stock car on another canyon and i wasnt as aggressive as in the video. But you're right...function over form. the car is far from track ready. I definitely had to abandon my lines at times because of the lining rubbing. but its a trial and error process.

Originally Posted by Glashub
Well, if he ate in Little Tokyo which is downtown LA -- I'd guess it had to be the canyons up around Glendale/Pasadena -- great canyon roads to run up there. But I could be totally wrong.
yup! you're right...it was angeles crest. ever go?
Old 03-31-14, 08:52 AM
Slust
Pole Position

This car is a blast on canyon roads. I agree it's not the best track car but canyon roads it hauls *** on. We have some good ones over here I like to hit up.

As someone else pointed out, this is where your mods got in the way. There is a huge difference between tuning for performance and modding for looks. Your car looks great (it really does) but it's not tuned for tracking the car. Anytime time you make a mod that affects the car's height you introduce the probability of rubbing. I have yet to get this car to rub and I've pushed this car harder. Also when you make a change to one of the 3 main suspension categories (springs, sways and shocks) you completely throw off the original suspension signature. As I was saying in another thread, you really to play around with it to tune it right if you are going to tune your car for tracking. There is a reason track heads are constantly tuning their car.

The car does have understeer but not that bad at stock. I hit up to 90s-100mph constantly in these canyon roads. Our highway speed alone is 75mph.

Despite what may come across as negative feedback above, I think you did pretty good. It's clear your friends are more comfortable with this. That is why they are following each other's *** and you are keeping safe distance. (nothing wrong with that, at all)
Old 03-31-14, 09:04 AM
r0shiro
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Slust
This car is a blast on canyon roads. I agree it's not the best track car but canyon roads it hauls *** on. We have some good ones over here I like to hit up.

As someone else pointed out, this is where your mods got in the way. There is a huge difference between tuning for performance and modding for looks. Your car looks great (it really does) but it's not tuned for tracking the car. Anytime time you make a mod that affects the car's height you introduce the probability of rubbing. I have yet to get this car to rub and I've pushed this car harder. Also when you make a change to one of the 3 main suspension categories (springs, sways and shocks) you completely throw off the original suspension signature. As I was saying in another thread, you really to play around with it to tune it right if you are going to tune your car for tracking. There is a reason track heads are constantly tuning their car.

The car does have understeer but not that bad at stock. I hit up to 90s-100mph constantly in these canyon roads. Our highway speed alone is 75mph.

Despite what may come across as negative feedback above, I think you did pretty good. It's clear your friends are more comfortable with this. That is why they are following each other's *** and you are keeping safe distance. (nothing wrong with that, at all)
you're absolutely right. the guy who led the pack tunes cars for the track for a living. lol. he's helping me out. its not at a "track" height at the moment anyway but that's easily adjusted. and i have to mess with the fenders and the rims. might shave them down a bit to clear the lining. OH...the rubbing only comes from the rear btw.

and yea...they were way more comfy lol. the car felt good but the rubbing noise played with me. =/ and thanks for the feedback! I'm actually glad to hear from others who track/canyon run. =)
Old 03-31-14, 09:25 AM
r0shiro
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ISDAS
nice run! I think you did pretty well considering the specs of the cars infront!

car sounded great - you didnt switch to manual though?
Thanks!! yea the drivers in the front were pretty skilled as well. and the car did sounds great up there. I didnt switch to manual mode. it was my first time in that canyon and i wanted to get give my attention to the canyon a bit more just to be safe. in the canyons the auto on S+ is excellent. it didnt shift out of nowhere on me and it kept me in the high revs...it was pretty good actually.
Old 03-31-14, 09:36 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep, Richie, I sure do and I like to run Las Virgenes down to Malibu even though it's further out for me.
Old 03-31-14, 09:41 AM
viNz86
Rookie

Video don't work for me, sounds like a blast!!!!
Old 03-31-14, 10:21 AM
r0shiro
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by viNz86
Video don't work for me, sounds like a blast!!!!
ok should work now =)
Old 03-31-14, 12:10 PM
Dark9t316
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like fun! Night time is a bit scary i would imagine.

I've only gotten the opportunity to take my car out like that once, back in October i think.
Drove down to Santa Cruz and took the infamous Highway 9. Lots of twisties and turns, so had to go faster than 60mph most of the drive. It was my IS350 FSPORT, and my friends and their Subaru STI and BMW M3.

Here's the video (this is also not openly seacheable).
Might want to keep your sound down cause all you hear is a lot of wind.
The gopro was attached to the left fender of my friend's Subaru STI.
I led in the front, followed by the STI and BMW.
Oh yea, the road was also narrow as ****.

Last edited by Dark9t316; 03-31-14 at 12:13 PM.

Quick Reply: ACH canyon run - IS350 F-Sport RWD