IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Talk me off the ledge, regretting my purchase

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-14, 05:16 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Glashub
You missed the part about no BMW listed. Please provide links to support your contentions about the system so we know 3rd parties agree with you otherwise it's simply your opinion -- which you're entitled to have but I have a different opinion and there are 3rd parties that agree with my perception.

"The 15-speaker Mark Levinson sound system on our cars was a pleasure to listen to as well, with nice bass and a good full-bodied sound. The new Daft Punk album was great in the IS."

http://jalopnik.com/2014-lexus-is-th...view-509220698
hmm... I should go to a dealer and complain about ML cause something clearly not right then. Some heavy bass music sounds crap to me with a lot of fart and it is absolutely not crystal clear.

At this point it is too early to rely on the third party reviews. Other owners with ML system are welcome to chime in (as some already did and clearly have the same opinion about ML as I do).

Last edited by salvadorik; 03-31-14 at 05:21 PM.
Old 03-31-14, 06:37 PM
CJW
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Does anyone have a light electronic whirring sound that changes with rpm? Reminds me of the old days when an aftermarket stereo has a bad ground. Wondering if this is the active noise cancellation/enhancement or something else.

I find the ML radio goes plenty loud and clear for mid range, but very high on treble and unless the bass is very distinct/punchy, it completely washes out. I have everything set middle of the road.
Old 03-31-14, 06:39 PM
IS350S2K
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have custom systems in my other cars and have heard the HK system in my friends e92 M3 and the sound system in my dads S550. I have the ML in the IS and think it sounds good. Wished I had sampled a non-ML system to see if it was worth the extra price. I don't think it compares to my custom systems. The cost of the equipment alone is a lot greater than the cost for the ML. I liked the HK system but didn't sound as crisp. It had a lot more bass though. The system in the Merc is really good but my dad has the upgraded b&o system.
Old 03-31-14, 07:04 PM
bp044
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CJW
Not trying to start a ****fest, perhaps just looking for some positivity.

Came from a G35x Sport. Bought a 2014 350 F-Sport Executive AWD. Test drove it twice. Researched it a ton and saw in winning comparisons. Compared it with an R-Design Volvo and if course 335 and S4. I knew it was slower, but ok. Better warranty, the best reputation in the business, solid/proven engine.

Love the looks. Love the interior. Ride is ok. Handles very well. Most of my test drives were pushing it hard or slow and relaxing. The IS is great at both. I find driving it hard very rewarding. But the middle ground bothers me.

Half throttle is 25%. Throttle response is weak. Engine doesn't wake up until 4k rpm. Trans upshifts out of first right off idle. Give it more, not much happens until you mash it.

Then I get to the mouse. Want to change radio stations? Three buttons presses. Bluetooth streaming isn't great (couldn't find any of my songs), typing in an address is horrible. Graphics? Lol.

But what about me is lack of options or disappointing features. I messed up and thought I read memory seats came with the F-Sport. My fault. But the other options I thought I'd love. Mark Levinson is not impressive and I'm hardly a serious audiophile. The steering wheel controls are not very intuitive.

Ok, don't want to trash the thing, but I feel like I messed up. The looks, quality, good interior aren't overpowering the rest.

Sorry for the rant.
The ATS premium has heads up display, seat and mirror memory, good handling, forged wheels and fully adjustable sport seats. Delivered price same or less than 350F sport
Old 03-31-14, 07:33 PM
Slust
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by salvadorik
hmm... I should go to a dealer and complain about ML cause something clearly not right then. Some heavy bass music sounds crap to me with a lot of fart and it is absolutely not crystal clear.

At this point it is too early to rely on the third party reviews. Other owners with ML system are welcome to chime in (as some already did and clearly have the same opinion about ML as I do).
At first I was agreeing and just assumed we had different tastes in music and sound signature. Kind of like how many audiophiles like Seinnheiser but I can't stand the Seinnheiser veil. The HK system kind of reminds me of that. I didnt think you meant you had actual technical problems with your ML system.

When I say I'm not impressed by ML I mean it doesn't provide a standout soundstage or provide depth to the songs that aren't highly compressed. The bass isn't full and beefy and there is no sub-bass. A lot of the music I listen to relies on sub-bass so missing out on that is a bummer. The treble is a bit too pitchy at times as well, which reminds me I probably should just knock that down a notch or two in the settings.

My bass does not sound distorted or like a fart. There are no glaring faults like that. If I had to compare it to picture quality, I'm expecting IMAX (or at least Blu-Ray) but getting early DVD quality.

I would not recommend the ML system to someone who wants above average sound quality. I would recommend the ML system to someone who simply wants better than stock. As IS350S2K said, the parts in the ML system are worth more than what we are paying for them so getting the ML package is still a good decision. I have the same opinion of any audio system of cars in this class. At this price bracket it is better to part out an aftermarket system for superior sound no matter the car you buy.

Originally Posted by CJW
Does anyone have a light electronic whirring sound that changes with rpm? Reminds me of the old days when an aftermarket stereo has a bad ground. Wondering if this is the active noise cancellation/enhancement or something else.

I find the ML radio goes plenty loud and clear for mid range, but very high on treble and unless the bass is very distinct/punchy, it completely washes out. I have everything set middle of the road.
No that sounds very odd.

You do have to play around with the settings quite a bit, mine isn't set in the middle and it varies based on the music I'm listening to.
Old 03-31-14, 07:52 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

For those who complain about ML, could it be some of the issue may be source related? For example none of the satellite stations comes close to the sound quality of my local HD Radio station even though I listen to it through same ML system. Also I find that not all HD stations are equal in sound quality either.

I would definitely say ML is much better than average system you would find in typical cars.

People, learn to enjoy and appreciate what you have!
Old 03-31-14, 08:31 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by salvadorik

That doesn't sound right. On one of my Acuras screws were loose around the speakers and the subwoofer. Stuff like that happens sometimes. I'd have it checked out.
Old 03-31-14, 10:02 PM
oghowie
Driver School Candidate

ML didn't sound very good to me too until I plugged my iPhone in. It's a pretty drastic difference versus bluetooth streaming and HD radio. Both don't sound that great with the ML system.
Old 04-01-14, 05:59 AM
yycdave
Driver

Isn't the Bluetooth just streaming the file? Old systems used to transcode but I thought new ones supported up to 320 Kbps streaming in AAC, MP3, etc.
Old 04-01-14, 07:48 AM
dsadsauser
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Slust

Though for me I'd rather miss options than have to pay for options I don't care about. I completely hate the way BMW bundles their options. For example if I want heated front seats I also have to get heated back seats (if I was parent maybe I'd care), heated steering wheel and headlight washers. And their packages aren't cheap either.

And that's on top of the F30 handling = boring.

The S4 was really nice but the handling sucked and reliability was a huge concern. If it wasn't for those two things the premier price would have been worth it.

You can build an F30 BMW with heated front seats without getting heated back seats and steering wheels. When building it, go to options.

There's no way you drove the F30 if you say its handling is boring to drive.

To say the Audi S4 sucks at handling is like saying Kevin Durant sucks at shooting. The S4 is one of the best handling sedans... ever.

Originally Posted by Slust
Though to be fair, the Q50 didn't impress me either, nor did the Harmon Kardon in the BMW. Actually none of the car audio systems impressed me. Pretty much have to go aftermarket.
There is simply no way you've ever listened to the HK system in the F30. I'm guessing if you drove an Aventador you'd be unimpressed by the accelleration? Not trying to troll, but everything I'm reading screams "I ONLY READ ARTICLES, I DON'T REALLY GET OUT THERE AND DRIVE!!!"
Old 04-01-14, 08:46 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

LOL did i just read that ML is not impressive? HAHA! something definitely isnt right then!
Old 04-01-14, 09:34 AM
oghowie
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by yycdave
Isn't the Bluetooth just streaming the file? Old systems used to transcode but I thought new ones supported up to 320 Kbps streaming in AAC, MP3, etc.
No idea. Would like to know this too. I assume it depends what version of Bluetooth the car supports?
Old 04-01-14, 10:20 AM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rayaans
LOL did i just read that ML is not impressive? HAHA! something definitely isnt right then!
I am a bit picky when it comes audio systems. My A6 had B&O and that system is unbelievably good. ML system to my ears sounds average. I would absolutely not call it impressive. Again, as I said before ML in LS and perhaps in RX are a lot better than that found in 3IS.
Old 04-01-14, 10:44 AM
ISISGUY
Rookie

My 2 cents: we can dissect everything about the car and find good and bad with everything. There are certain things that some cars do better, absolutely. Audio, maybe handling, acceleration. The IS does everything really well. Put everything together, and that is what makes this car great. Audi definitely handles well, nothing like that Quattro system. Acura ELS audio system is very nice compared to a lot of others. But, the combination of factors is what I would say makes this car. And as mentioned earlier, no other the car is getting the looks this one does, good and bad, and that is what I love. It's not just another boring Lexus.
Old 04-01-14, 11:27 AM
Slust
Pole Position

Originally Posted by oghowie
ML didn't sound very good to me too until I plugged my iPhone in. It's a pretty drastic difference versus bluetooth streaming and HD radio. Both don't sound that great with the ML system.
Your saying you get better quality sound plugged into the USB port than from streaming? That is interesting. I have to admit that I been scared to try USB porting since that seems to be the link many with Nav issues report. Now I'm curious to try.

Originally Posted by jbayse99
You can build an F30 BMW with heated front seats without getting heated back seats and steering wheels. When building it, go to options.

There's no way you drove the F30 if you say its handling is boring to drive.

To say the Audi S4 sucks at handling is like saying Kevin Durant sucks at shooting. The S4 is one of the best handling sedans... ever.

There is simply no way you've ever listened to the HK system in the F30. I'm guessing if you drove an Aventador you'd be unimpressed by the accelleration? Not trying to troll, but everything I'm reading screams "I ONLY READ ARTICLES, I DON'T REALLY GET OUT THERE AND DRIVE!!!"
Would you like the names and phone numbers of the two sales guys I dealt with? I drove 3 different 335i and one 328i on various days last year during Nov to December. My superior officer even with me one day on one of the 335i test drives but that was a used E90 335i.

Sorry but the new F30 is boring to me. The 2012 felt better to me than the 2013 (no 2014 on the lot, only 1 BMW dealer here) but I would still say... technically it was right on what it did but it had no soul. The 328i felt more nimble and fun to drive than the 335i. It too had numb steering but the fact it felt more nimble made it a funner drive for me than the 335i despite the power loss and it was only Sport package, not M-Sport.

The S4 I test drove had very loose handling, I'm not sure if it was suffering from test drives or if that was normal but I did not like it at all. It is also quite noticeably nose heavy when you take turns in it, especially faster than normal turns. Though I do admit I push cars harder on test drives than I typically drive for real. I was flat out in love with the power. I'm sure the cars in front of me did not like me lurching at them every light but damn that was addicting. But for a car with that much power I want to feel like I can trust it and the handling had me more worried than confident. If it's rated best in class than it makes me believe you reading it from people who have no business reviewing cars or I test drove a car that had issues. But even if the car had issues it was still nose heavy and that's a design flaw. It's a shame because I found it to be 2nd best interior (for me) since it seemed more geared toward a single guy. The Nav GUI (like the BMW one) was also more professional looking than the Lexus one. Though its easier to find stuff in the Lexus one, I prefer the **** control over the mouse thing.

TLDR; Yes, I actually drove both the S4 and F30 with my own two wittle biddy hands because my original goal was to NOT buy Lexus again and to go either BMW or Audi this time. I could explain why but you're calling me liar, not asking why I made the choice I did. Sorry you take my comments about cars so personally but I truly found the F30 to be numb and boring and I absolutely hated the handling in the S4 but loved most other things about it.

OMG two people in this world CAN exist with different opinions, the possibilities!

Quick Reply: Talk me off the ledge, regretting my purchase