IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Talk me off the ledge, regretting my purchase

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-14, 06:10 PM
CJW
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Talk me off the ledge, regretting my purchase

Not trying to start a ****fest, perhaps just looking for some positivity.

Came from a G35x Sport. Bought a 2014 350 F-Sport Executive AWD. Test drove it twice. Researched it a ton and saw in winning comparisons. Compared it with an R-Design Volvo and if course 335 and S4. I knew it was slower, but ok. Better warranty, the best reputation in the business, solid/proven engine.

Love the looks. Love the interior. Ride is ok. Handles very well. Most of my test drives were pushing it hard or slow and relaxing. The IS is great at both. I find driving it hard very rewarding. But the middle ground bothers me.

Half throttle is 25%. Throttle response is weak. Engine doesn't wake up until 4k rpm. Trans upshifts out of first right off idle. Give it more, not much happens until you mash it.

Then I get to the mouse. Want to change radio stations? Three buttons presses. Bluetooth streaming isn't great (couldn't find any of my songs), typing in an address is horrible. Graphics? Lol.

But what about me is lack of options or disappointing features. I messed up and thought I read memory seats came with the F-Sport. My fault. But the other options I thought I'd love. Mark Levinson is not impressive and I'm hardly a serious audiophile. The steering wheel controls are not very intuitive.

Ok, don't want to trash the thing, but I feel like I messed up. The looks, quality, good interior aren't overpowering the rest.

Sorry for the rant.
Old 03-30-14, 06:28 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Well, it happens. Take comfort in the fact that it's only an object in the end and you can replace it soon enough. At times we all have felt (or still feel) the grass is greener on the other side, and in my case I get the occasional incling to have more seriously considered the new Q50 S (which is growing on me), but then I come to my senses and realize and appreciate the core values of the 3IS as you've mentioned and forget its superficial shortcomings. I also enjoy the head turning which is more than anyone can say with the more conservatively styled and common 3 and A4.
Old 03-30-14, 06:40 PM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This proves that no car is perfect. I own a 2013 335i with M Sport package and Harman Kardon. Everything you hate about the IS, the 335 does better. But ineverything you love, the IS beats the 335. What are your priorities in a car? This will lead you in your decisions.

Last edited by Aeromotive; 03-30-14 at 06:58 PM.
Old 03-30-14, 07:52 PM
yycdave
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, fellow Albertan.

As Aeromotive says, no car is perfect. I always get a serious case of buyer's remorse unless I research the hell out of my big purchases - I signed up for this site a year ago when I started shopping and just got it last month. I test drove all of the competitors, read up on everything you could possibly think of before agonizingly making a decision.

Just need to make the decision and stick with it and don't look back. It's easy to tear anything apart if you focus on it.

The IS is a stunning vehicle inside and out, and it handles great. There are some things I'd change if given the opportunity (you nailed a bunch of them), but there are things I'd change in every vehicle I'm in. Nothing's perfect, but in my shopping I found the IS was closest. Not just the tangibles, but the intangibles too: reliability, resale value, and craftsmanship.

When your BMW or Volvo or Audio is in the shop, you'd be having buyer's remorse as well as a hole in your pocketbook. So it could be worse.
Old 03-30-14, 07:54 PM
Slust
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First I just want to say that I'm not going to try and make you love your car, only you can do that. I will address some of your points and provide a different perspective.

Originally Posted by CJW
Love the looks. Love the interior. Ride is ok. Handles very well. Most of my test drives were pushing it hard or slow and relaxing. The IS is great at both. I find driving it hard very rewarding. But the middle ground bothers me.

Half throttle is 25%. Throttle response is weak. Engine doesn't wake up until 4k rpm. Trans upshifts out of first right off idle. Give it more, not much happens until you mash it.
What mode do you drive in? If you drive in Normal or Eco mode than the middle ground is definitely pretty boring. If you want to enjoy the middle ground, try driving in Sport mode. The throttle response is always waiting for you. When driving in Sport mode I can lightly press gas pedal and get a good boost of speed (10-15mph) without dropping from 7th gear. So it comes across as nice smooth boost of speed where I'm able to weave between some slow cars and get clear. The funny thing about this area I'm currently in is that if you gun it than the cars behind you take that as a challenge and I find I have to keep pressing it hard to get them to stop following me. If I do this smooth burst of speed they usually stay behind me and stop tail gating, almost like they give up.

This car doesn't come alive till you throw it into Sport or Sport+ mode. Many cars that have a Sport mode have a pretty lame Sport mode, with the 3IS its personality completely changes. The middle and high ground in this car is amazing. Well to me at least. So my view is different in that I have the most issue with the take off. It needs some more torque!

Originally Posted by CJW
Then I get to the mouse. Want to change radio stations? Three buttons presses. Bluetooth streaming isn't great (couldn't find any of my songs), typing in an address is horrible. Graphics? Lol.
Perhaps this goes along with your steering wheel controls aren't being intiutive. I do almost everything through the steering wheel and hardly use the mouse. I won't defend the mouse because I had to turn up the sensitivity (PC and console gamer here) and I had to get rid of the haptic feedback so it would stop slowing me down. Now the mouse and I get along.

Anyways I change the station using the UP and DOWN arrows on the steering wheel. Only time I use the mouse is if I'm trying to skip from the top of the list to the bottom of the list. If you find yourself doing this a lot than you maybe you should re-order your radio station list. I do admit I spend more time on Bluetooth than mainstream radio and I use the tuning **** for the radio stations close in number - like all the Rock stations on Satellite so I have very few stations actually saved compared to many people. I don't know how some max out the list.

Originally Posted by CJW
But what about me is lack of options or disappointing features. I messed up and thought I read memory seats came with the F-Sport. My fault. But the other options I thought I'd love. Mark Levinson is not impressive and I'm hardly a serious audiophile. The steering wheel controls are not very intuitive.

Ok, don't want to trash the thing, but I feel like I messed up. The looks, quality, good interior aren't overpowering the rest.

Sorry for the rant.
Don't apologize, it's clear you aren't trolling and have valid gripes. I think Lexus likes to limit the options in the first production year and then bring more out year by year. I think that is how they keep their price advantage. I might have that wrong though. Either the way the lack of options is indeed a bummer.

Though for me I'd rather miss options than have to pay for options I don't care about. I completely hate the way BMW bundles their options. For example if I want heated front seats I also have to get heated back seats (if I was parent maybe I'd care), heated steering wheel and headlight washers. And their packages aren't cheap either. You can spec out a 328i to be more expensive than a 350 F-Sport. This area doesn't get many 335i either (like 1 a month) so good luck getting what you want without ordering. Hell I couldn't find a 328i in a spec I'd want without making compromises. And that's on top of the F30 handling = boring.

The S4 was really nice but the handling sucked and reliability was a huge concern. If it wasn't for those two things the premier price would have been worth it.

No matter what car I looked at there was always some sort of huge weakness. I just felt the IS350 had more things going right for it than the competition but it too has it weaknesses (as you mentioned). If I could have the S4 speed, with the 3IS look, interior and handling with the Q50's dual screen, the BMW's **** control and shifter stick, and the ATS prices and options I'd have my car spec'd out! Though give me 50 more ponies and 30-50lbs of torque and I will be just as happy.

By the way, I feel the same about ML. I thought I'd be more impressed but I'm not. Though to be fair, the Q50 didn't impress me either, nor did the Harmon Kardon in the BMW. Actually none of the car audio systems impressed me. Pretty much have to go aftermarket. Oh well, maybe I will just get more serious into buying that Woo Audio headphone amp I've always wanted (mmm). I'd still take the car with ML because it's a fairly cheap upgrade for what you get but ya hardly impressive.
Old 03-30-14, 09:45 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Came from a loaded 2012 Genesis 4.6 with every tech/comfort feature in the book and a V-8 that laid down the torque BUT ride/handling was subpar -- always fishing for the right gear. In owning that car I realized that when buying a car that ride/handling/mechanicals/reliability would always be the part of the equation that I focus on first and foremost. It's so easy to get distracted by the features and forget that a car should be top of the class in ride/handling -- and reliability. Lexus wins there. I find the 8 speed superb. I don't know about your 6 seped but it should be much better than what you're describing.
Old 03-30-14, 11:00 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Slust

By the way, I feel the same about ML. I thought I'd be more impressed but I'm not. Though to be fair, the Q50 didn't impress me either, nor did the Harmon Kardon in the BMW. Actually none of the car audio systems impressed me. Pretty much have to go aftermarket. Oh well, maybe I will just get more serious into buying that Woo Audio headphone amp I've always wanted (mmm). I'd still take the car with ML because it's a fairly cheap upgrade for what you get but ya hardly impressive.
ML in IS350 sucks big time. I kept hearing how awesome ML is but it is not. By the way, when I test drove 2014 bmw 335i with Harmon Kardon, I was impressed. The bass, mid range and treble were just right at any volume level. The sound was crystal clear and absolutely did not get distorted at the highest volume level. IS350 is a better car overall and hands down a better value but sound wise bimmer's HK is leagues ahead than ML in IS350. Just want to be fair here.

Last edited by salvadorik; 03-30-14 at 11:04 PM.
Old 03-31-14, 08:06 AM
IS350S2K
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The grass is always greener. No car is going to be perfect (except for the LFA . Other cars will seem better until you own one and start finding little faults with it. Hopefully you can live with the issues or fix them like upgrading the audio. But memory seats may not be possible. In the end, sell it and get the next best thing.
Old 03-31-14, 08:19 AM
CJW
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Great responses guys. Thanks. Looks like I'm not dreaming on some of my concerns.

My main goal was upgrading on my old car in as many ways as possible, but in some regards, it feels like a step back or lateral move where as some of the other options might have been a better choice. I did quite a bit of research, but nothing replaces a couple days of driving.

As mentioned, in sport, and driving it hard, this thing shines and I still think it's the best looking car in the class even though some hate the grill.

I didn't even consider the Q50 even as a happy Infiniti owner. I've heard of too many issues with the touch screen and steer by wire. If anything really drives someone crazy, it's crashing electronics - especially when they control everything.

At any rate, thanks again and as long as Lexus doesn't decide to come out with a 350hp version next year, I'm sure I'll be a happy owner for at least a few years.
Old 03-31-14, 08:19 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

ELS (top rated) then Lexicon (maker of high end audio) then ML. ML wins imo.

BMW not listed as top system here, http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...philes#slide-7.
Old 03-31-14, 08:35 AM
FSPORTJC
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Came from a 2013 BMW 3series MSport as well.
I absolutely love my 3iS FSport ultra white on red. Sexy as F*** and the interior and ride is superb.
No complaints here.
Old 03-31-14, 10:48 AM
juvi22003
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

To be honest i don't know if its because i have no wheels and kit on my car right now but i'm pretty bored of the car already where i don't even feel like modding it anymore. Maybe its just a now feeling we'll see what the future holds but i also considered the Q50, its growing on and really thinking about it hard....
Old 03-31-14, 11:16 AM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Glashub
ELS (top rated) then Lexicon (maker of high end audio) then ML. ML wins imo.

BMW not listed as top system here, http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...philes#slide-7.
the KEY words here are "ML in 3 generation of Lexus IS350." ML in Lexus LS is superb, no doubt about that. For some reason 3IS has a pretty bad sounding ML system compared to other MLs found in LS/GS/ES (especially LS). Why would they even call it a premium audio system?
Old 03-31-14, 11:47 AM
viNz86
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good read so far, Iooks like most of made the same decisions during the purchase.

Originally Posted by juvi22003
To be honest i don't know if its because i have no wheels and kit on my car right now but i'm pretty bored of the car already where i don't even feel like modding it anymore. Maybe its just a now feeling we'll see what the future holds but i also considered the Q50, its growing on and really thinking about it hard....
Once you go sideways in the 240 it's game over
Old 03-31-14, 04:09 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by salvadorik
the KEY words here are "ML in 3 generation of Lexus IS350." ML in Lexus LS is superb, no doubt about that. For some reason 3IS has a pretty bad sounding ML system compared to other MLs found in LS/GS/ES (especially LS). Why would they even call it a premium audio system?
You missed the part about no BMW listed. Please provide links to support your contentions about the system so we know 3rd parties agree with you otherwise it's simply your opinion -- which you're entitled to have but I have a different opinion and there are 3rd parties that agree with my perception.

"The 15-speaker Mark Levinson sound system on our cars was a pleasure to listen to as well, with nice bass and a good full-bodied sound. The new Daft Punk album was great in the IS."

http://jalopnik.com/2014-lexus-is-th...view-509220698

Last edited by Glashub; 03-31-14 at 04:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Talk me off the ledge, regretting my purchase