IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Talk me off the ledge, regretting my purchase

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-14, 09:08 AM
CJW
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Slust
Still curious if you drive the car normally in Sport mode or only during spirited trips.
I usually drive in normal/sport (about 50/50). Sport is a bit more responsive, but not night and day. I guess coming from a 306hp 3.5V6 with a 5 speed auto and AWD, I expected similar responsiveness. It's not bad and I think your brain/foot learn the way to get it to respond like you want.

For the ML stereo, it seems like every type of media has it's own settings, so I've changed most of them to my liking and it's definitely sounding better. I'm not blown away, but it's improved.

I do wish Lexus didn't make content from the regulat model unavailable on the F-Sport models though. I'd love power tilt, rain sensing wipers, auto high beams and cooled seats.
Old 04-08-14, 10:39 AM
smardav
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IntegresS

Haha, I'm right there with you Juvi

I've actually been looking at the CLA a lot lately... drove it for a few days and I know it's not fair to compare my RWD 250 to the FWD CLA 250, but...damn. That turbo kicks in & the amount of torque in that car just pulls it. It feels so much sportier on the road than my 250, and sadly, costs less (at least the one I drove had a lower MSRP than my IS FSport).

But, as others have mentioned, the grass is always greener on the other side, and no car is perfect. I only had the CLA for a few days and I was able to find little things about it I didn't like already, that the IS does better. If only I could have both
Im not gonna comment about the fight if ML audio sucks. but im gonna comment that CLA rather sucks.

I custom ordered a CLA about a month after it was launched. At that time, I thought the car is pretty. It has the typical FWD feeling on it, but it def have enough power. Comparing to IS250, its much faster. Eventho specs says it only has 4 more hp than the 3IS. Weird, maybe Merc should put it as 220 hp or so? CLA back seats are awful, and if you dont get the panoramic roof, the rear cabin feels claustrophobic. Interior quality is also rather mediocre. The plastic around the center console is very cheap, also its sports seats aren't as comfy as 3IS ones.

Long story short, my CLA didn't arrive on time. Since I had a deadline, I was looking out at other cars. I test drove the F30 328i and 3IS. 328i power band is awesome and its 8 speed tranny is smooth. But the interior quality is horrible. I test drove one with beige interior (leatherette version) and I feel the seats will worn prematurely. Also, spec out 328i will cost a fortune compared to similarly equipped 3IS. Merc C250 was not in the consideration since its old. And Q50 looks like 1990s Nissan from the back with LED lighting in front headlight. So a no to Infiniti.

Initially I wasn't even considering buying the 3IS. Having owned 2 Lexus in the past, I wanted to try something new. But I was impressed on how much improvements it has, compared to 2IS. The engine could use a little change but if Lexus is aiming for reliability, it works. The 2.5L and 6 speed combo from 2IS is bulletproof. I am not regretting my purchase at all. im definitely glad that I'm not a CLA owner. The car looks cheap and it screams entry level mercedes everytime I see one on the road.
Old 04-08-14, 10:37 PM
k0321
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Buyers Remorse

I've been in my F Sport just over a month and I'm having buyer's remorse, too. But for different reasons. I'm having major technical issues. Like some other owners I have had issues with the nav rebooting, the Enform apps not consistently working, my phone disconnecting OFTEN. I had the firmware updated. That didn't work. Then the entire radio system was replaced. Still have ALL the same issues. And now today the dash in front of the steering wheel is blank. Dealer doesn't know what's causing it.

Safety is first. The ride itself is great. But I saved for a long time to buy what I thought was a high quality vehicle complete with fantastic amenities. At least in my old Toyota Camry the radio and phone consistently worked.
Old 04-08-14, 10:41 PM
smardav
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by k0321
I've been in my F Sport just over a month and I'm having buyer's remorse, too. But for different reasons. I'm having major technical issues. Like some other owners I have had issues with the nav rebooting, the Enform apps not consistently working, my phone disconnecting OFTEN. I had the firmware updated. That didn't work. Then the entire radio system was replaced. Still have ALL the same issues. And now today the dash in front of the steering wheel is blank. Dealer doesn't know what's causing it.

Safety is first. The ride itself is great. But I saved for a long time to buy what I thought was a high quality vehicle complete with fantastic amenities. At least in my old Toyota Camry the radio and phone consistently worked.
I'm sorry you experienced that. Hopefully lexus fix it soon. If not, file a complaint to lexus corporate and ask for a replacement vehicle. make them prove that your car is a lemon. Even if lexus/toyota is known for reliability, in a manufacturing process, there are always defects. Prolly you are one of those unlucky ones.
Old 04-09-14, 06:58 AM
FSPORTJC
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by k0321

Wow sorry to hear.. I haven't had a single negative thing or impression on my car.. its been perfect.
Old 04-09-14, 07:05 AM
FSPORTJC
Pole Position

Did someone save OP from jumping off the ledge?!
Old 04-09-14, 09:55 AM
Slust
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CJW
I usually drive in normal/sport (about 50/50). Sport is a bit more responsive, but not night and day. I guess coming from a 306hp 3.5V6 with a 5 speed auto and AWD, I expected similar responsiveness. It's not bad and I think your brain/foot learn the way to get it to respond like you want.
It's not going to be "night and day" unless a mode change meant unlocking 30-50hp and 30-50torque. Not sure how you don't feel a significant amount of difference. The lag is pretty bad in Normal mode. I guess this is where our opinions diverge. As I said, I'm able to lose anyone jumping from 70mph to 85-90mph without even downshifting out of 7th gear ...if I'm in Sport mode, which I almost always am. That's pure mid-range power. Most cars will need to downshift to get a similar boost in power. The great thing about N/A engines is you get all of the torque when you need it. It won't be as powerful as a turbo/supercharged car but no lag has its own high. In Sport mode I've been able to take advantage of other cars' lag... when I see them punch it, I can hit it after them and still win. Though anecdotes aside, if the mid-range power was lacking in this car it would not be competing with the other cars since the 3IS has lower HP than every car in this class. N/A engines do typically gain most of their power at the higher RPM range and sometimes they can be built to sacrifice mid-range power for a more powerful overall engine but at 300hp you're not there yet. A 300hp car cannot survive on high end torque only. We know the low end is gimped so if the power curve was gimped at mid-range too than it would get slaughtered in every test by its competitors and it doesn't. A perfect example is the IS250. Both the low and mid-range is clearly suffering so it loses to every car in its class. Though it also doesn't help it is much farther behind in the HP race than the 350 is.

Last edited by Slust; 04-09-14 at 09:58 AM.
Old 04-10-14, 12:28 AM
vbx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CJW
Not trying to start a ****fest, perhaps just looking for some positivity.

Came from a G35x Sport. Bought a 2014 350 F-Sport Executive AWD. Test drove it twice. Researched it a ton and saw in winning comparisons. Compared it with an R-Design Volvo and if course 335 and S4. I knew it was slower, but ok. Better warranty, the best reputation in the business, solid/proven engine.

Love the looks. Love the interior. Ride is ok. Handles very well. Most of my test drives were pushing it hard or slow and relaxing. The IS is great at both. I find driving it hard very rewarding. But the middle ground bothers me.

Half throttle is 25%. Throttle response is weak. Engine doesn't wake up until 4k rpm. Trans upshifts out of first right off idle. Give it more, not much happens until you mash it.

Then I get to the mouse. Want to change radio stations? Three buttons presses. Bluetooth streaming isn't great (couldn't find any of my songs), typing in an address is horrible. Graphics? Lol.

But what about me is lack of options or disappointing features. I messed up and thought I read memory seats came with the F-Sport. My fault. But the other options I thought I'd love. Mark Levinson is not impressive and I'm hardly a serious audiophile. The steering wheel controls are not very intuitive.

Ok, don't want to trash the thing, but I feel like I messed up. The looks, quality, good interior aren't overpowering the rest.

Sorry for the rant.
Just be glad you didn't trade it for a Q50.

I have to agree that the mouse thing is stupid. Steering for me is normal. Very stiff and hugs the corners in sports mode. I didn't have any complains about the steering and I didn't have the VGRS.

The stereo system did suck pretty bad. (Didn't upgrade to the ML package).

All in all, we should have kept our G's. They don't make cars like they use to. It's all soulless and generic. I think my biggest mistake was getting an automatic. It's so boring.

Last edited by vbx; 04-10-14 at 12:32 AM.
Old 04-14-14, 05:33 AM
Furge
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Glashub
ELS (top rated) then Lexicon (maker of high end audio) then ML. ML wins imo.

BMW not listed as top system here, http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...philes#slide-7.
Bumester seems to hold the top spot now. It is supplied on Bugatti, Porsche, and the new Mercedes C-class. It's not a cheap option, costing over $5,000 for Porsche, and I assume the same for Mercedes.

Having seen the new W205 2015 C-class, it is STUNNING. I am not trying to bash the new IS, I love Lexus (I used to be a Toyota engineer working in Japan). However, the new C interior is leagues ahead of anything remotely in its class. And the V6 biturbo has considerably more low-end torque than the IS 350's V6.

Just shows what is possible at this price point. But you're likely not going to have as reliable a car as the IS should be [although on my CT I've had 4 issues in 2.5 years…nothing that left me stranded, but still not quite up to Lexus' standards of the past]