IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Talk me off the ledge, regretting my purchase

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-14, 12:52 PM
Celledral
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will agree that the BO option on an AUDI A4 is much better sounding than the ML in the IS. Left very unimpressed., but I'm still buying the car.
Old 04-02-14, 01:09 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by salvadorik
Sit inside A4 with B&O and play a high quality CD. Right after that sit inside 3IS with ML and play the same CD. After you do that and then we will talk. All that bla bla above is just nothing but bla bla
Sorry, but you're the bla, bla person. You can't even find data to support your bla, bla. I've given you 3rd party reviews. You've given us bla, bla.

What is it called when people make hyperbolic statements or keep repeating statements without supporting analysis and data like you have by posting that ML is not a premium system or is a not up to par with the premium charged for it? Well, it could be called something worse but I'll call it bla, bla, just another opinion.

Read the articles I've provided. Read my posts. I posted an article that B&O is #1 but your assertion is that ML suck -- which is a lie. I doubt your integrity now. Do some research.

I can also argue that B&O is a ripoff company that takes Panny TV's, adds a few doodads and sells them for much more -- but it's still the core of a Panny. They do that with Pioneer ice amps too. Why would I think they didn't do that in car audio & the end user is paying a ridiculous premium for the B&O name?

"I listened to both back to back and actually LIKED the Bose better. Had a little more punch. The B&O sorely lacks on bass, but is a cleaner sound. The Bose was still a premium stock system. NO WAY is B&O worth the money. Anything more than $1000 for that upgrade from Bose is criminal :-)"

That Audi owner liked the Bose better and any audiophile knows that Bose blows.

Read more here, - http://forums.audiworld.com/archive/...t-2809135.html

According to this thread from Audi World the system is a 6K add on.

Last edited by Glashub; 04-02-14 at 01:32 PM.
Old 04-02-14, 01:32 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Glashub
Sorry, but you're the bla, bla person. You can't even find data to support your bla, bla. I've given you 3rd party reviews. You've given us bla, bla.

What is it called when people make hyperbolic statements or keep repeating statements without supporting analysis and data like you have by posting is not a premium system or is a not up to par with the premium charged for it? Well, it could be called something worse but I'll call it bla, bla, just another opinion.

Read the articles I've provided. Read my posts. I posted an article that B&O is #1 but your assertion is that ML suck -- which is a lie. I doubt your integrity now. Do some research.
Ok man. I am sorry if I offended you. Look I am not saying that ML system cannot be great or impressive or premium etc. ML audio system found in LS/GX are awesome and you easily can call them premium. Considering the fact that ML can produce outstanding stereo systems I am bit disappointed that 2014 IS 350s did not get that. You are giving us LS ML third party reviews. How about a good detailed unbiased competent opinion on ML in 3rd generation IS350?

You can doubt my integrity and keep blindly defending Lexus but one thing that I can tell you is that my hears don't lie to me. I have heard the difference and it is significant. I say the things as they are without taking any sides. I am guessing you have some sort of professional affiliation with Lexus, don't you? If that is the case, I can see that most of your statements are very much one sided. Keep up with good work.
Old 04-02-14, 02:00 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Look I'm sure you're a great guy. I have no affiliation with Lexus. I am affiliated with the truth as much as I can be. Everyone says the B&O system is outstanding except a few Audi owners and many agree it isn't worth 6K over a Boise. It shouldn't matter much is the ML is in an ES or an IS -- same system with maybe different pscho-acoustic dynamics -- maybe that's what you're hearing.
Old 04-02-14, 02:20 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Actually B&O is only $600 option on A4/A5. With $6K B&O option you are referring to the system with pop up tweeters that sounds unbelievably good. Is it overpriced? Damn yes but nothing sounds like that. I guess I should stop at this point and let others to chime in.
Old 04-02-14, 06:05 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say everyone can have their opinion. That may or may not change your opinion. That's OK too.

I believe I looked at this before but ML Specs on GS and 3IS are same with exception of couple more speakers on GS. Perhaps GS has better acoustic treatments/design.
Old 04-04-14, 01:50 PM
dsadsauser
Pole Position

Lol... we have strayed so far from the OP's original intent for this thread... and I was absolutely a part of the problem.

Sorry, OP!
Old 04-06-14, 10:38 PM
jennypenny
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

*ding ding* time out guys!
Old 04-07-14, 06:33 AM
FSPORTJC
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL .. how epic this thread turned out and the 3k+ views.

Did OP jump off a ledge already or did someone save him?
Old 04-07-14, 09:15 AM
CJW
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Only way off the ledge would be to trade it or sell it within a week of buying, but I'm not that impulsive and not really willing to take the hit. I'm guessing I could sell it for pretty much what I paid, but would be out on the taxes.

I do enjoy the car and I love the looks. I'm noticing little things that are minor, but a bit annoying. It's somewhat cumulative. Still, how cool is this?

Old 04-07-14, 09:36 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by CJW
Only way off the ledge would be to trade it or sell it within a week of buying, but I'm not that impulsive and not really willing to take the hit. I'm guessing I could sell it for pretty much what I paid, but would be out on the taxes.

I do enjoy the car and I love the looks. I'm noticing little things that are minor, but a bit annoying. It's somewhat cumulative. Still, how cool is this?

Did you shift to 2nd by yourself ?
Old 04-07-14, 02:56 PM
Slust
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CJW
Engine could still use some more power and the throttle doesn't seem linear. The power does bother me a bit. Like I said previously, drive this car hard and it's very rewarding, but the middle ground seems fairly soft. A quick getaway need a heavy foot and isn't effortless.
Still curious if you drive the car normally in Sport mode or only during spirited trips. Outside of this gas tank where I'm trying ECO mode (oh man its painful) my day to day drive mode is Sport mode and I find the mid-range power more than adequate. Low range is still weak even in Sport mode but mid and upper is great. Normal mode's mid range power is.... eeeh it's ok. ECO makes me want a new car. Though at least it is looking like I will get 370+ miles on this tank. That's worth it, right? no
Old 04-07-14, 05:44 PM
Furge
Rookie

Originally Posted by salvadorik
ML in IS350 sucks big time. I kept hearing how awesome ML is but it is not. By the way, when I test drove 2014 bmw 335i with Harmon Kardon, I was impressed. The bass, mid range and treble were just right at any volume level. The sound was crystal clear and absolutely did not get distorted at the highest volume level. IS350 is a better car overall and hands down a better value but sound wise bimmer's HK is leagues ahead than ML in IS350. Just want to be fair here.
Haven't heard either in the cars, but for home audio, which is both brands' main focus - HK is a JOKE.
Anyone who thinks HK is a serious audiophile brand for the home has not heard a true audiophile brand.
ML is HANDS DOWN, NO COMPARISON better. ML and HK are not even sold in the same stores, that's how different these two brands are. You will find HK at Best Buy. Enough said.
Old 04-07-14, 05:47 PM
Furge
Rookie

To the OP's original post - I think Lexus deliberately degraded the performance to make room for the new IS F. It's really that simple. The 350 engine is decent, but every review says it's a bit shy of world class..

Still, the 350 as it is, is a great car, for a very reasonable price. Do you want to pay ~ $15K more for a V8?!

Nothing comes without tradeoffs.
Old 04-08-14, 12:45 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by jbayse99
You can build an F30 BMW with heated front seats without getting heated back seats and steering wheels. When building it, go to options.

There's no way you drove the F30 if you say its handling is boring to drive.

To say the Audi S4 sucks at handling is like saying Kevin Durant sucks at shooting. The S4 is one of the best handling sedans... ever.

There is simply no way you've ever listened to the HK system in the F30. I'm guessing if you drove an Aventador you'd be unimpressed by the accelleration? Not trying to troll, but everything I'm reading screams "I ONLY READ ARTICLES, I DON'T REALLY GET OUT THERE AND DRIVE!!!"
Please note : jbayse99 neglected to mention that he is a current owner of the F30 BMW 335i and is a passionate defender of the F30. You need only check out his post history to see how defensive he gets whenever anyone mentions anything negative about the F30 3 series.

To be clear, I test drove the F30 335i Sport with M-adaptive dampers, lowered M springs, Sport auto gearbox and it handled worse than both the Lexus GS350 F-Sport and the Lexus IS250 F-Sport that I also test drove.

So yes, I did not just read the reviews but actually got my behind into the car seats and guess what?

The reviews weren't wrong : the 335i is a straightline beast but a poorer and less involving car from a handling perspective compared to the latest 3rd Gen IS.

Last edited by natnut; 04-08-14 at 12:48 AM.

Quick Reply: Talk me off the ledge, regretting my purchase