IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Talk me off the ledge, regretting my purchase

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-14, 06:02 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jbayse99
I owned the 2IS and then switched to the 335i. I now drive a 2012 300 SRT8. I feel I can be somewhat unbiased.
Well, I don't believe you can be somewhat unbiased. The 3IS bears no driving/handling relationship to the 2IS. You have no clue what the 3IS is like to live with.

2014 Lexus IS Review: Way Better Than Before
http://www.forbes.com/sites/matthewd...ve-and-review/

Just my .02.
Old 04-02-14, 06:26 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by salvadorik
I am a bit picky when it comes audio systems. My A6 had B&O and that system is unbelievably good. ML system to my ears sounds average. I would absolutely not call it impressive. Again, as I said before ML in LS and perhaps in RX are a lot better than that found in 3IS.
That costs like £6k over here. The ML is barely over £900. Its silly to be comparing a £6k system to a £900 system.
Old 04-02-14, 07:30 AM
CJW
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This thread turned out more reasonable then expected.

After a few days, I'm enjoying the car. Getting a ton of compliments on it. The mouse interface seems to work alright and I found a few more features. Not a fan of the nav entry, but I don't need it really anyways.

Engine could still use some more power and the throttle doesn't seem linear. The power does bother me a bit. Like I said previously, drive this car hard and it's very rewarding, but the middle ground seems fairly soft. A quick getaway need a heavy foot and isn't effortless.

Otherwise, lack of place to put sunglasses and storage space in general is a bit of a pain.

If I had a do-over, I might still consider an alternative. I know all cars tend to have weaknesses, I just discovered more than I thought I would pretty quickly.

Appreciate the responses and insight on the other cars in the class as well.
Old 04-02-14, 08:08 AM
carderoni
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CJW
This thread turned out more reasonable then expected.

After a few days, I'm enjoying the car. Getting a ton of compliments on it. The mouse interface seems to work alright and I found a few more features. Not a fan of the nav entry, but I don't need it really anyways.

Engine could still use some more power and the throttle doesn't seem linear. The power does bother me a bit. Like I said previously, drive this car hard and it's very rewarding, but the middle ground seems fairly soft. A quick getaway need a heavy foot and isn't effortless.

Otherwise, lack of place to put sunglasses and storage space in general is a bit of a pain.

If I had a do-over, I might still consider an alternative. I know all cars tend to have weaknesses, I just discovered more than I thought I would pretty quickly.

Appreciate the responses and insight on the other cars in the class as well.
The most convenient way to work the NAV that I've found is through the voice recognition. Just say "Destination", then "Enter an address", and it tends to work out. Much better than having to stop so the system allows you to type in your destination.
Old 04-02-14, 08:42 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by carderoni
The most convenient way to work the NAV that I've found is through the voice recognition. Just say "Destination", then "Enter an address", and it tends to work out. Much better than having to stop so the system allows you to type in your destination.
Just saying "find an address" works too without saying "destination" first. Voice recognition is much better than previous gen and understands natural language.
Old 04-02-14, 09:08 AM
carderoni
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dojoman
Just saying "find an address" works too without saying "destination" first. Voice recognition is much better than previous gen and understands natural language.
I did not know that - thanks!
Old 04-02-14, 10:27 AM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rayaans
That costs like £6k over here. The ML is barely over £900. Its silly to be comparing a £6k system to a £900 system.
A3/A4/A5 and their respective S models have $600 option of B&O upgrade. Even that B&O blows ML big big time.

By the way my initial statement was not "a silly comparison" but a factual observation. That 6K B&O blows even ML system found in LS.

The bottom line ML in 3IS is an average audio system but no means can I call it premium. Now you guys can attack me however much you want.
Old 04-02-14, 10:31 AM
yycdave
Driver

I'm not sure what the value is for this argument.

It's safe to say anyone who says ML "sucks big time" in the IS 350 is, at the very least, utilizing massive hyperbole.

I think it's an amazingly clear and detailed soundscape. I don't know what your problems are with it, but you haven't really defined it in a way that could be debated anyway.
Old 04-02-14, 11:16 AM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by yycdave
I'm not sure what the value is for this argument.

It's safe to say anyone who says ML "sucks big time" in the IS 350 is, at the very least, utilizing massive hyperbole.

I think it's an amazingly clear and detailed soundscape. I don't know what your problems are with it, but you haven't really defined it in a way that could be debated anyway.
Fair enough. Let me elaborate on that if I may.

We all agree on the notion that ML system in 3IS is sold as "premium audio system", don't we? In other words it is a top of the line audio system that we can possibly get from a luxury car manufacturer such as Lexus, period. As a result one reasonably expects ML system to equally compete with other premium audio systems offered by other luxury auto manufacturers. As you can see the expectations are pretty high here from ML and this is the key in this argument. Unfortunately ML does not sound "premium", it sounds just good. I tried to use high quality CDs but the system simply cannot deliver this crisp premium sound quality. It just cannot. Sure Sirius satellite stations sound good but that is not enough.

Now I stand corrected when I said "ML sucks big time". It doesn't. It is sure a good sounding system but in my books it is worse than HK/B&O and others alike.
Old 04-02-14, 11:18 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

We all agree on the notion that ML system in 3IS is sold as "premium audio system", don't we? In other words it is a top of the line audio system that we can possibly get from a luxury car manufacturer such as Lexus, period. As a result one reasonably expects ML system to equally compete with other premium audio systems offered by other luxury auto manufacturers. As you can see the expectations are pretty high here from ML and this is the key in this argument. Unfortunately ML does not sound "premium", it sounds just good. I tried to use high quality CDs but the system simply cannot deliver this crisp premium sound quality. It just cannot. Sure Sirius satellite stations sound good but that is not enough.

Now I stand corrected when I said "ML sucks big time". It doesn't. It is sure a good sounding system but in my books it is worse than HK/B&O and others alike.
What kind of music you listen?
Old 04-02-14, 11:26 AM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

top 100 billboard 2013/2014 lol mostly pop music
Old 04-02-14, 11:27 AM
dsadsauser
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Glashub
Well, I don't believe you can be somewhat unbiased. The 3IS bears no driving/handling relationship to the 2IS. You have no clue what the 3IS is like to live with.

2014 Lexus IS Review: Way Better Than Before
http://www.forbes.com/sites/matthewd...ve-and-review/

Just my .02.
I realize that I don't own a 3IS, but I am hardly a BMW fanboy. In fact I just bought the wife a '13 Highlander.
Old 04-02-14, 11:45 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

"Lexus set a new benchmark for OEM audio when it introduced available Mark Levinson systems almost 10 years ago, and the most recent 19-speaker, 450-watt Reference Surround Sound audio system raised the bar even higher when it debuted in the LS 460 in 2006.

It was difficult to find things not to like about this system. It was largely distortion-free. Tonal balance was silky smooth. Timbre and tonal accuracy were palpably lifelike. The sound stage was immense and imaging exact. Dynamics were crisp and well-controlled. Our listening notes revealed very few nits to pick, and they all were in relation to where it fell short of our top choice.

The optional $2,530 system in the 2009 Lexus LS 460 L we tested is a prime example of why it now makes perfect sense to purchase an automaker's premium stereo at this level instead of going with an aftermarket system. And even if you're an avid audiophile seeking the nth degree of performance, you'd be hard-pressed to piece together your own system that performs this well at a similar price.

The Levinson system was also neck-and-neck with the winner in terms of DVD-Audio performance. Although each of the two top surround systems had its own distinct "voice," the differences in overall quality were subtle and more a matter of taste. If the Lexus has an edge, it's that the car's ultra-quiet interior makes it the best environment for listening to audio while on the road. It also had the best linearity scores of any car in the test, which is important for those who want to listen at lower volume without sacrificing the details of the music."

http://www.edmunds.com/car-technolog...sound-off.html

"Indeed, the number one system was not only lauded by www.askmen.com, but it was also given an impressive award by Ward's Auto World which awarded Auti's A8 Bang and Olufsen Advanced Sound System top honors a few eyars back and time has only made it better. This system consists of an impressive array of 14 speakers, including a huge 12-inch subwoofer that will let your feet feel sound your ears can't hear. Imagine this addition, though, each speaker has its own amplifier and there are accoustic lens speakers in the dash that extend and retract. This is a system that will melt earwax and other things because it cranks out 1,100 watts of sound.

Number two on the hit parade is found on a more prosaic model, a Lexus Ls. The system is the Mark Levinson Reference surround Sound Audio System. This is a system that features total harmonic distortion of less than 0.1 percent says www.askmen.com. It features 19-speakers, a "450-watt Mark Levinson Reference (7.1-channel) Surround Sound Audio system that," askmen.com notes, will mean "you are unlikely to miss a single note because of the system's 20 hz to 20,000 hz range." Storage is a little light with only 8GB online."

http://voices.yahoo.com/top-5-car-au...28.html?cat=15

Please provide links to support your contention that the ML system is not premium or I let it go and accept that audiophiles regard the ML system highly.
Old 04-02-14, 12:16 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Glashub
"Lexus set a new benchmark for OEM audio when it introduced available Mark Levinson systems almost 10 years ago, and the most recent 19-speaker, 450-watt Reference Surround Sound audio system raised the bar even higher when it debuted in the LS 460 in 2006.

It was difficult to find things not to like about this system. It was largely distortion-free. Tonal balance was silky smooth. Timbre and tonal accuracy were palpably lifelike. The sound stage was immense and imaging exact. Dynamics were crisp and well-controlled. Our listening notes revealed very few nits to pick, and they all were in relation to where it fell short of our top choice.

The optional $2,530 system in the 2009 Lexus LS 460 L we tested is a prime example of why it now makes perfect sense to purchase an automaker's premium stereo at this level instead of going with an aftermarket system. And even if you're an avid audiophile seeking the nth degree of performance, you'd be hard-pressed to piece together your own system that performs this well at a similar price.

The Levinson system was also neck-and-neck with the winner in terms of DVD-Audio performance. Although each of the two top surround systems had its own distinct "voice," the differences in overall quality were subtle and more a matter of taste. If the Lexus has an edge, it's that the car's ultra-quiet interior makes it the best environment for listening to audio while on the road. It also had the best linearity scores of any car in the test, which is important for those who want to listen at lower volume without sacrificing the details of the music."

http://www.edmunds.com/car-technolog...sound-off.html

"Indeed, the number one system was not only lauded by www.askmen.com, but it was also given an impressive award by Ward's Auto World which awarded Auti's A8 Bang and Olufsen Advanced Sound System top honors a few eyars back and time has only made it better. This system consists of an impressive array of 14 speakers, including a huge 12-inch subwoofer that will let your feet feel sound your ears can't hear. Imagine this addition, though, each speaker has its own amplifier and there are accoustic lens speakers in the dash that extend and retract. This is a system that will melt earwax and other things because it cranks out 1,100 watts of sound.

Number two on the hit parade is found on a more prosaic model, a Lexus Ls. The system is the Mark Levinson Reference surround Sound Audio System. This is a system that features total harmonic distortion of less than 0.1 percent says www.askmen.com. It features 19-speakers, a "450-watt Mark Levinson Reference (7.1-channel) Surround Sound Audio system that," askmen.com notes, will mean "you are unlikely to miss a single note because of the system's 20 hz to 20,000 hz range." Storage is a little light with only 8GB online."

http://voices.yahoo.com/top-5-car-au...28.html?cat=15

Please provide links to support your contention that the ML system is not premium or I let it go and accept that audiophiles regard the ML system highly.
Sit inside A4 with B&O and play a high quality CD. Right after that sit inside 3IS with ML and play the same CD. After you do that and then we will talk. All that bla bla above is just nothing but bla bla
Old 04-02-14, 12:21 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

top 100 billboard 2013/2014 lol mostly pop music
Well, that's your problem right there...
ML is really not a good system for Pop or alternative music. When I listen to Classical music I can hear crisper and cleaner tone compared to Pop.

Quick Reply: Talk me off the ledge, regretting my purchase