Talk me off the ledge, regretting my purchase

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-14, 11:29 AM
FSPORTJC
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ISISGUY
My 2 cents: we can dissect everything about the car and find good and bad with everything. There are certain things that some cars do better, absolutely. Audio, maybe handling, acceleration. The IS does everything really well. Put everything together, and that is what makes this car great. Audi definitely handles well, nothing like that Quattro system. Acura ELS audio system is very nice compared to a lot of others. But, the combination of factors is what I would say makes this car. And as mentioned earlier, no other the car is getting the looks this one does, good and bad, and that is what I love. It's not just another boring Lexus.
Agree 100%
Old 04-01-14, 01:03 PM
carderoni
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Slust
TLDR; Yes, I actually drove both the S4 and F30 with my own two wittle biddy hands because my original goal was to NOT buy Lexus again and to go either BMW or Audi this time. I could explain why but you're calling me liar, not asking why I made the choice I did. Sorry you take my comments about cars so personally but I truly found the F30 to be numb and boring and I absolutely hated the handling in the S4 but loved most other things about it.

OMG two people in this world CAN exist with different opinions, the possibilities!
I have to agree with Slust here. What was most disappointing about the F30 (for me) was driving it back to back with my friend's E90 335i. It's extremely difficult to argue against the F30 feeling larger, more ponderous, and having a softer suspension than its predecessors (or the 3IS). The S4 understeers like a Subaru and has about as soft a suspension as the first gen turbo Legacy GT's. But put one of those German engines in the 3IS and you'd really have the ultimate driving machine.
Old 04-01-14, 01:58 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^^

Agreed -- until the fuel pump, oil pump, sludge build up, etc. took the engine down.

Did you know Toyota developed and patented a hybrid port/DI system used on the 2014 so we don't have to worry about carbon build up and excessive oil burn?

No one mentions that when they rail about it being old tech.
Old 04-01-14, 02:30 PM
IntegresS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by juvi22003
To be honest i don't know if its because i have no wheels and kit on my car right now but i'm pretty bored of the car already where i don't even feel like modding it anymore. Maybe its just a now feeling we'll see what the future holds but i also considered the Q50, its growing on and really thinking about it hard....

Haha, I'm right there with you Juvi

I've actually been looking at the CLA a lot lately... drove it for a few days and I know it's not fair to compare my RWD 250 to the FWD CLA 250, but...damn. That turbo kicks in & the amount of torque in that car just pulls it. It feels so much sportier on the road than my 250, and sadly, costs less (at least the one I drove had a lower MSRP than my IS FSport).

But, as others have mentioned, the grass is always greener on the other side, and no car is perfect. I only had the CLA for a few days and I was able to find little things about it I didn't like already, that the IS does better. If only I could have both
Old 04-01-14, 04:37 PM
dsadsauser
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your saying you get better quality sound plugged into the USB port than from streaming? That is interesting. I have to admit that I been scared to try USB porting since that seems to be the link many with Nav issues report. Now I'm curious to try.

Would you like the names and phone numbers of the two sales guys I dealt with? I drove 3 different 335i and one 328i on various days last year during Nov to December. My superior officer even with me one day on one of the 335i test drives but that was a used E90 335i.

Sorry but the new F30 is boring to me. The 2012 felt better to me than the 2013 (no 2014 on the lot, only 1 BMW dealer here) but I would still say... technically it was right on what it did but it had no soul. The 328i felt more nimble and fun to drive than the 335i. It too had numb steering but the fact it felt more nimble made it a funner drive for me than the 335i despite the power loss and it was only Sport package, not M-Sport.

The S4 I test drove had very loose handling, I'm not sure if it was suffering from test drives or if that was normal but I did not like it at all. It is also quite noticeably nose heavy when you take turns in it, especially faster than normal turns. Though I do admit I push cars harder on test drives than I typically drive for real. I was flat out in love with the power. I'm sure the cars in front of me did not like me lurching at them every light but damn that was addicting. But for a car with that much power I want to feel like I can trust it and the handling had me more worried than confident. If it's rated best in class than it makes me believe you reading it from people who have no business reviewing cars or I test drove a car that had issues. But even if the car had issues it was still nose heavy and that's a design flaw. It's a shame because I found it to be 2nd best interior (for me) since it seemed more geared toward a single guy. The Nav GUI (like the BMW one) was also more professional looking than the Lexus one. Though its easier to find stuff in the Lexus one, I prefer the **** control over the mouse thing.

TLDR; Yes, I actually drove both the S4 and F30 with my own two wittle biddy hands because my original goal was to NOT buy Lexus again and to go either BMW or Audi this time. I could explain why but you're calling me liar, not asking why I made the choice I did. Sorry you take my comments about cars so personally but I truly found the F30 to be numb and boring and I absolutely hated the handling in the S4 but loved most other things about it.

OMG two people in this world CAN exist with different opinions, the possibilities!
Yes, give me their names and I'll call them at once

Just look t what you wrote. FYI- the 2012 and 2013 335i 4dr are both F30s and remained pretty much unchanged. The 2011 was the E90 sedan.

Your stories seem VERY suspect.

Yes, opinions can certainly differ. It's just- if you read someone say, "man, that 5.0 Mustang I test drove felt so underpowered but that 3.7 really puts you in your seat when you hammer it"... wouldn't you be a little suspect?
Old 04-01-14, 04:47 PM
QuentinB
Driver

Originally Posted by IntegresS
Haha, I'm right there with you Juvi I've actually been looking at the CLA a lot lately... drove it for a few days and I know it's not fair to compare my RWD 250 to the FWD CLA 250, but...damn. That turbo kicks in & the amount of torque in that car just pulls it. It feels so much sportier on the road than my 250, and sadly, costs less (at least the one I drove had a lower MSRP than my IS FSport). But, as others have mentioned, the grass is always greener on the other side, and no car is perfect. I only had the CLA for a few days and I was able to find little things about it I didn't like already, that the IS does better. If only I could have both
I personally thought the CLA felt cheap and strange. It did not feel like a luxury vehicle. I don't know if it was a base model or what, but the headlights and shifter were really off putting.
Old 04-01-14, 06:24 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Ok gentlemen, I see there is this never ending debate between 3IS and 335i going on. The problem is this is the Lexus forum and most here will defend Lexus and will try to put down bimmer. The same thing happened to me when I posted 3IS on bimmerfest. I got hammered - well I expected it. The truth is somewhere in between. It is ultimately the buyer's choice and either one wont be a mistake.

I was recently in the situation where I almost traded my IS350 F-Sport for a fully loaded 335i in M-Sport trim. My impression of the bimmer it was a very well balanced car. I loved the handling and that instant torque on demand was addictive. Tech package such HUD and iDrive are impressive to say at least. Bimmer looks better outside and had more space inside. However, when I got back inside my lovely 3IS I realized there is more to it. On twisties lexus was a blast to drive with a glorious sound coming from the engine and exhaust. The good thing about NA engines are at high RPM range the torque and sound is amazing. Unfortunately we don't use that power everyday when we commute to work and that is why we get bored. While FI engines are useable on a daily basis. I agree with that. One solution here I think is from time to time we need to take our IS to twisties to be able to use the best side of it. Also seats are awesome in 3IS - much much better than in 3 series. In any case, it seems Lexus is still behind bimmer total packagwise but the value you are getting is unbeatable in the segment. Just my two cents.
Old 04-01-14, 07:26 PM
yellow2112
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm going to agree with the OP on some points and the other people on some other points.

I too test drove the other comparison vehicles, from BMW to Infiniti to Audi to Acura.

I've always been a Toyota fan but I'm no retard. I tried all of them, just to be sure.

WIth regards to the OP's views about the map. He's right. Typing an address in is a ridiculous process. My wires highlanders touchscreen is so much easier and more gratifying. My old garmin was easier to use. Otherwise, the system is reasonable. The mouse reviews were awful when the car came out. I don't feel that the mouse is that bad. Just takes a bit of getting used to, but adding directions or an address. Awful. Just awful.

Fit and finish is good. The plastic around the trunk release and e brake area seems flimsy and cheap.

Handling is excellent. Vehicle grips the road just as good as the others I drove.

Doors close nicely. The infinity's I looked at - the doors felt like they were full of cotton wool. No weigh to them at all.

Lack of power in steering adjust sucks. (I have the f sport). This seems to be a common complaint from f sport owners. They feel they should have gotten all the luxury package benefits too for some reason.

Overall. the ride is comfy. My wife likes the seats and says they are comfy. OEM tires are crap, no doubt or difference from any other new car Ive bought but the car does have some soul. The closest competitor was the 3 series but I have a friend who works in service at a BMW dealer and he sees all the repairs and costs after 40k miles and says he'd never buy one. Enough said.
Old 04-01-14, 07:30 PM
yellow2112
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by salvadorik
Ok gentlemen, I see there is this never ending debate between 3IS and 335i going on. The problem is this is the Lexus forum and most here will defend Lexus and will try to put down bimmer. The same thing happened to me when I posted 3IS on bimmerfest. I got hammered - well I expected it. The truth is somewhere in between. It is ultimately the buyer's choice and either one wont be a mistake.

I was recently in the situation where I almost traded my IS350 F-Sport for a fully loaded 335i in M-Sport trim. My impression of the bimmer it was a very well balanced car. I loved the handling and that instant torque on demand was addictive. Tech package such HUD and iDrive are impressive to say at least. Bimmer looks better outside and had more space inside. However, when I got back inside my lovely 3IS I realized there is more to it. On twisties lexus was a blast to drive with a glorious sound coming from the engine and exhaust. The good thing about NA engines are at high RPM range the torque and sound is amazing. Unfortunately we don't use that power everyday when we commute to work and that is why we get bored. While FI engines are useable on a daily basis. I agree with that. One solution here I think is from time to time we need to take our IS to twisties to be able to use the best side of it. Also seats are awesome in 3IS - much much better than in 3 series. In any case, it seems Lexus is still behind bimmer total packagwise but the value you are getting is unbeatable in the segment. Just my two cents.

The ONE thing also to add to your comment and to most others here is that it 'appears' that a vast majority of IS or BMW owners lease their cars, for what ever reasons. I purchased my f sport, so maybe I'm connected to it more than some.

There is no possible way you can give an honest OVERALL view of both cars, unless you've owned both for an extended time. Am I a lexus fan, yes but I'm also a fan of reliability and low maintenance. Some BMW knows very little about.
Old 04-01-14, 08:34 PM
Kybball#1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I chose this car because it's "sexy". I think BMW 335 and the CLA are dog azz ugly
Old 04-01-14, 09:20 PM
dsadsauser
Pole Position

Originally Posted by yellow2112
The ONE thing also to add to your comment and to most others here is that it 'appears' that a vast majority of IS or BMW owners lease their cars, for what ever reasons. I purchased my f sport, so maybe I'm connected to it more than some.

There is no possible way you can give an honest OVERALL view of both cars, unless you've owned both for an extended time. Am I a lexus fan, yes but I'm also a fan of reliability and low maintenance. Some BMW knows very little about.
I owned the 2IS and then switched to the 335i. I now drive a 2012 300 SRT8. I feel I can be somewhat unbiased.
Old 04-01-14, 09:35 PM
ejpyong
Driver School Candidate

Well said, sir. From the little I read on BMW forums when I was car shopping, it seemed like people generally had nice things to say about the IS. It was weird, people respecting the opinions of others!

Originally Posted by salvadorik

Old 04-02-14, 12:55 AM
Slust
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jbayse99
Yes, give me their names and I'll call them at once

Just look t what you wrote. FYI- the 2012 and 2013 335i 4dr are both F30s and remained pretty much unchanged. The 2011 was the E90 sedan.

Your stories seem VERY suspect.

Yes, opinions can certainly differ. It's just- if you read someone say, "man, that 5.0 Mustang I test drove felt so underpowered but that 3.7 really puts you in your seat when you hammer it"... wouldn't you be a little suspect?
While you pretend you are some super-sleuth did you think to ask why I would test 2 different F30 335i in the same shopping span? Guessing no.

2012 335i - M-Sport
2013 335i - Luxury xDrive

I drove 3 different F30s which is more than any other brand I test drove so obviously I'm not saying BMW is complete crap. Obviously there are things about BMWs that interest me. BMWs are great cars but the F30 handling is boring to me. I'm not going to sugar coat this, it is how I feel. If this truly offends you go back to bimmerfest and cry how a Lexus owner said something bad about a F30.

Ever since I started posting here ...which is before I bought the 3IS I posted my views on the S4 and F30. Story has remained unchanged. There are ton of previous BMW owners here. There are a ton current BMW owners here. Ask yourself why you are the only one who has an issue with this.

But you know what... I flat out don't care what you think. If it helps you sleep better at night that I never test drove a F30 than by all means believe that. I am done arguing this subject.
Old 04-02-14, 01:15 AM
Larry96815
Lead Lap

First I need to say I am 66 years old so I have owned many cars (23). All of them have had good and bad things about them. The worst car I ever owned was a brand new 1970 Cuda. Of all of these cars, my first choice, if I could have it back would be that Cuda. Strange huh?
Old 04-02-14, 04:19 AM
dsadsauser
Pole Position

While you pretend you are some super-sleuth did you think to ask why I would test 2 different F30 335i in the same shopping span? Guessing no.

2012 335i - M-Sport
2013 335i - Luxury xDrive

I drove 3 different F30s which is more than any other brand I test drove so obviously I'm not saying BMW is complete crap. Obviously there are things about BMWs that interest me. BMWs are great cars but the F30 handling is boring to me. I'm not going to sugar coat this, it is how I feel. If this truly offends you go back to bimmerfest and cry how a Lexus owner said something bad about a F30.

Ever since I started posting here ...which is before I bought the 3IS I posted my views on the S4 and F30. Story has remained unchanged. There are ton of previous BMW owners here. There are a ton current BMW owners here. Ask yourself why you are the only one who has an issue with this.

But you know what... I flat out don't care what you think. If it helps you sleep better at night that I never test drove a F30 than by all means believe that. I am done arguing this subject.
I don't have a problem with people saying they don't like the 335i. I was one of them when I bought my 2IS new in 2010.

I'm not offended by your words, I'm offended by your integrity.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

Quick Reply: Talk me off the ledge, regretting my purchase