Need someone to try my Android app on a 3rd-gen IS

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-14, 06:50 AM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Need someone to try my Android app on a 3rd-gen IS

EDIT: This thread is from March 2014... we don't need testers anymore

Hi guys, I'm the developer of Carista OBD2, an Android app that can change your Lexus Personalize Settings and diagnose all ECUs on the car. The app is already released and should work with all Lexus/Toyota/Scion vehicles that use the CAN communication protocol. However, we haven't physically tested it on a 3rd-gen Lexus IS yet. Would one of you be willing to give it a try? There's no danger to the car - if it works, great; if it doesn't work, it just won't be able to connect and nothing will happen.

You can download the app from Google Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ce%3Dclublexus

In terms of hardware, you need a standard ELM327 bluetooth adapter, which I'm hoping some of you already have. See http://www.caristaapp.com/hardware/

Thanks a lot in advance!
Also, we're here and available to hear your feedback and answer any questions you may have about the app.

Last edited by Carista; 03-21-15 at 02:29 AM.
Old 03-27-14, 07:55 AM
specONE
Racer

Received 487 Likes on 246 Posts

I'll test it out.
I have a ElM327 and Android phone.

I'll report back
Old 03-27-14, 08:03 AM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by specONE
I'll test it out.
I have a ElM327 and Android phone.

I'll report back
Awesome, thank you!
Old 03-27-14, 08:15 AM
r0shiro
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wheres the apple love?
Old 03-27-14, 08:58 AM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by r0shiro
wheres the apple love?
Like facebook puts it, "it's complicated" Apple restricts standard Bluetooth data communication, so you can't use the same standard ELM327 devices with an iPhone. The 2 other options are (1) custom hardware that uses Apple's Bluetooth protocol, or (2) a WiFi device. Both used to be expensive, but the WiFi option is getting more and more affordable, so we're looking into it. In general, yes, we'd like to build an iOS version of Carista, but we don't have one now.
Old 03-27-14, 09:13 AM
r0shiro
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

haha...definitely complicated with Apple. Well...i will invest in the hardware if your team invests in the software. =)

Do i have to own the android and app or can a buddy of mine have one to test on my car?
Old 03-27-14, 09:34 AM
specONE
Racer

Tested it and looks like things are communicating with the ELM327 in the car just fine.
One small hiccup when i did the diagnostic and then after went to personalize settings and it just showed nothing, no loading screen. Force closed the app and try to replicate issue and it didnt come up again.

Couldn't test the LPS saving option due to not wanting to pay to give it a test, I already can do these on my own with TIS Techstream Lite I have.
Old 03-27-14, 02:10 PM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by r0shiro
haha...definitely complicated with Apple. Well...i will invest in the hardware if your team invests in the software. =)

Do i have to own the android and app or can a buddy of mine have one to test on my car?
It's fine if you do it with your buddy's phone, but then he'd have to pay for the Pro Package using his Google Play account. The purchase stays with the Google account it was made with - so if in the future you buy your own Android phone, you'd have to re-purchase the Pro Package in Carista. (But on the other hand, if your buddy buys another Android phone, he won't have to repurchase it - it will remain associated with his account).

Originally Posted by specONE
Tested it and looks like things are communicating with the ELM327 in the car just fine.
One small hiccup when i did the diagnostic and then after went to personalize settings and it just showed nothing, no loading screen. Force closed the app and try to replicate issue and it didnt come up again.

Couldn't test the LPS saving option due to not wanting to pay to give it a test, I already can do these on my own with TIS Techstream Lite I have.
Great, thanks a lot for testing! The blank screen is a known issue when you tell the app to do one thing (like check for faults), then back out of it while the app is still working, then tell it to do another thing (like "customize"). Is that what happened in your case?

Also, if you're willing to do a little more testing, I'll be willing to give you the "Pro Package" for free I'll send you a PM.
Old 03-27-14, 10:33 PM
specONE
Racer

I am more than willing to do more testing for you.
I do alot of beta testing of other products as well for my job so I know how that goes

Yes the Screen just did nothing at first when i went and did fault checking and then backed right out to try the custom settings and then I thought it just didnt work for my car so i force closed it and tried again and was actually surprised and happy it worked like you guys designed it. saw all the same settings I can see with the Techstream.

Send me a PM and we'll talk more.
Old 03-28-14, 08:09 PM
yycdave
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried it out today - it told me the car didn't support personalization.
Old 03-29-14, 07:10 AM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by yycdave
I tried it out today - it told me the car didn't support personalization.
Thanks for the feedback. I got your report (I assume that was you) and it looks like you're using an OBDLink device or another device with an older ELM327 chip (v1.3a). In order to use the Lexus-specific functionality in Carista, you need an ELM327 v1.4 or newer. I know that the error message in the app is misleading - it says the car is not supported, but actually it's the Bluetooth adapter that's not supported. We're working on making the Lexus-specific functionality in Carista compatible with older versions of the ELM327 chip, and we actually have a working alpha-test version. If you're interested in trying it out, please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 03-30-14, 03:10 PM
yycdave
Driver

Cool, the alpha version works great. A lot of settings to choose from. I enabled the auto-windows down feature when holding on the remote - it works great.
Old 04-01-14, 10:43 AM
morton87
Rookie

I'll test this out as well once i get back in town to where my 3IS is napping

Last edited by morton87; 04-01-14 at 10:44 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-01-14, 11:06 AM
FSPORTJC
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You see this is what I love to see!!
Very awesome and innovative. Too bad I have a iPhone and left Android a few months prior to purchasing my 3iS!

Keep it up Carista!
Old 04-01-14, 01:13 PM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by yycdave
Cool, the alpha version works great. A lot of settings to choose from. I enabled the auto-windows down feature when holding on the remote - it works great.
Awesome, thanks for trying the alpha version

Originally Posted by morton87
I'll test this out as well once i get back in town to where my 3IS is napping
Thanks for that! Btw I've already had a few people try it on a 3IS and it's working great. What I wanted to find out most of all is whether the 3IS supports the CAN communication protocol, which is what Carista uses to talk to Toyota/Lexus/Scion cars. The answer is yes. So in terms of technical testing, we're all set, but we'd definitely love it if you gave the app a try to see if you'll like it and find it useful It's free to try, you only need to pay if you want to change a setting or read/reset Lexus-specific trouble codes.

Originally Posted by FSPORTJC
You see this is what I love to see!!
Very awesome and innovative. Too bad I have a iPhone and left Android a few months prior to purchasing my 3iS!

Keep it up Carista!
Thanks!

Quick Reply: Need someone to try my Android app on a 3rd-gen IS