IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Dirt After Rain on Ultra White!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-14, 05:24 PM
jay631987
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dirt After Rain on Ultra White!!!

Washed my car this weekend and after a 20 min drive in the rain today the whole car is full of dirt contained in the water beads...which is probably not noticeable on a non-white car because the beads would look like clean water. Guess you have to wash more often if you own a white car lolz
Old 03-19-14, 05:46 PM
fastdak25
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just hit the coin wash with a high pressure wash and a low pressure spot free rinse
Old 03-19-14, 06:06 PM
TheShaddix
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Look into something that rejects water to wipe your car with. The droplets will just run off of it.
Old 03-19-14, 07:18 PM
jay631987
Driver

haha you got me thinking about this
...imagine coating your car with this...
Old 03-19-14, 07:21 PM
Dark9t316
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In my experience, after driving in the rain, the aerodynamics automatically pushes the dirt towards the trunk, looks like the car threw up from the trunk. There's nothing you can put on the car that will stop the dirty water from drying on the horizontal surfaces of your car.
Old 03-19-14, 07:29 PM
jay631987
Driver

Originally Posted by Dark9t316
In my experience, after driving in the rain, the aerodynamics automatically pushes the dirt towards the trunk, looks like the car threw up from the trunk. There's nothing you can put on the car that will stop the dirty water from drying on the horizontal surfaces of your car.
yea most of the dirt is concentrated at the trunk but its still all over the car...oh well more frequent washes i guess...dirt is easy to get off...what is hard is the damn tree saps!!! That I have no idea how to get off the car easily.
Old 03-19-14, 09:57 PM
TheShaddix
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Sure, but there hardly are any perfectly horizontal surfaces on the car, and it takes just a small amount of angle for the water to run off. And if you're driving while it's raining, in theory the car should stay clean. Works on the windshield...
Old 03-20-14, 06:45 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I've owned many white cars, and I will say in my experience it's typically one of the easiest colors to maintain. And then I bought a white IS...

This is, by far, the most difficult white car I've owned, in terms of keeping it clean. The way the rear bumper cover tapers in behind the rear wheels does little to help. And yes, dirt accumulates heavily on the rear bumper and trunk lid.

Then a couple weeks ago I put Opti-Coat on it, and the difference is pretty striking. Dirt doesn't stick and accumulate nearly as much as it did before. I'd recommend any kind of paint sealant or a good wax as a countermeasure. It really seems to help.
Old 03-20-14, 07:43 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

i use a quick detailer spray whenever the car is slightly dirty. this way it doesn't accumulate to much gunk for an entire week or couple weeks. every week or couple weeks, i'll do a rinseless wash (i have one with and without wax--depending on my mood) and i'll go over the wash with a sealant+polisher. every 1-2 months i'll do a foam blast to get it deeply clean along with a thorough cleaning of the windshield and cover it with sealant as well. every 4-6 months i'll probably clay bar the thing. i don't know what the going rate for an opticoat is, lets just say $200-$400 you can buy yourself a lot of good detailing and wash products that will last you months to years--and you'll have fun from washing your own car and taking pics at the end... there is nothing more rewarding after a good detail/wash than to sit admire your car with a beer.
Old 03-20-14, 07:46 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AdvanSLF
i don't know what the going rate for an opticoat is, lets just say $200-$400 you can buy yourself a lot of good detailing and wash products that will last you months to years--and you'll have fun from washing your own car and taking pics at the end... there is nothing more rewarding after a good detail/wash than to sit admire your car with a beer.
If you have the time, tools, and a good workspace, you can do Opti-Coat yourself. That's what I did. $80.
Old 03-20-14, 09:09 AM
Dark9t316
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jay631987

yea most of the dirt is concentrated at the trunk but its still all over the car...oh well more frequent washes i guess...dirt is easy to get off...what is hard is the damn tree saps!!! That I have no idea how to get off the car easily.
Trunk, and behind the wheels mostly, the rest of car generally stays clean. Tree sap is a diffucult one, it dries and hardens...wax might help protect a little bit from harsh damage, but the best thing to do is to stay away from the trees altogether or cover your car. I once had a 2" diameter tree sap (felt like baked on plastic when I discovered it) on my Camry hood, took 30 mins of rubbing down using maguilar wheel cleaner with my index finger to remove.
Old 03-20-14, 09:24 AM
jay631987
Driver

Originally Posted by JDR76
I've owned many white cars, and I will say in my experience it's typically one of the easiest colors to maintain. And then I bought a white IS...

This is, by far, the most difficult white car I've owned, in terms of keeping it clean. The way the rear bumper cover tapers in behind the rear wheels does little to help. And yes, dirt accumulates heavily on the rear bumper and trunk lid.

Then a couple weeks ago I put Opti-Coat on it, and the difference is pretty striking. Dirt doesn't stick and accumulate nearly as much as it did before. I'd recommend any kind of paint sealant or a good wax as a countermeasure. It really seems to help.
lolz could it be that most other white cars on the road is really not pure white like it has a yellowish tint? Just like the regular white on the IS (starfire pearl?) Anyways if you have time can you post of a pic of the dirt so we can compare how it is with others? thanks!
Old 03-20-14, 09:26 AM
jay631987
Driver

Originally Posted by AdvanSLF
i use a quick detailer spray whenever the car is slightly dirty. this way it doesn't accumulate to much gunk for an entire week or couple weeks. every week or couple weeks, i'll do a rinseless wash (i have one with and without wax--depending on my mood) and i'll go over the wash with a sealant+polisher. every 1-2 months i'll do a foam blast to get it deeply clean along with a thorough cleaning of the windshield and cover it with sealant as well. every 4-6 months i'll probably clay bar the thing. i don't know what the going rate for an opticoat is, lets just say $200-$400 you can buy yourself a lot of good detailing and wash products that will last you months to years--and you'll have fun from washing your own car and taking pics at the end... there is nothing more rewarding after a good detail/wash than to sit admire your car with a beer.
How long does it take for you to detail it yourself...with no help from others?
Old 03-20-14, 09:30 AM
jay631987
Driver

Originally Posted by Dark9t316
Trunk, and behind the wheels mostly, the rest of car generally stays clean. Tree sap is a diffucult one, it dries and hardens...wax might help protect a little bit from harsh damage, but the best thing to do is to stay away from the trees altogether or cover your car. I once had a 2" diameter tree sap (felt like baked on plastic when I discovered it) on my Camry hood, took 30 mins of rubbing down using maguilar wheel cleaner with my index finger to remove.
wow...glad mine's were teeny tiny dots...I like when they come off in one hard piece but they usually smear and that is tough to get off. Meguiars and Mother's are damn good products!!! good choice...
Old 03-20-14, 09:31 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jay631987
lolz could it be that most other white cars on the road is really not pure white like it has a yellowish tint? Just like the regular white on the IS (starfire pearl?) Anyways if you have time can you post of a pic of the dirt so we can compare how it is with others? thanks!
Actually, the opposite. Past white cars I've had have been what I consider "Maytag White", meaning a bright white, non metallic.

My IS is Starfire Pearl.

Quick Reply: Dirt After Rain on Ultra White!!!