IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

IS350 F Sport Underpower against Germans?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-14, 12:53 AM
finalhope
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well to many of you guys who didn't know what my original post stated meant the brand new CLA AMG and not the C63 AMG. I posted the S4 to compare with the IS350 F Sport because the A4 is a FWD under power dog. I believe my original post has the best comparison in terms of each brand's segment lineup compared to the IS350 F Sport. Just remember that price is always higher for the Germans. Oh also Beemer's new lineup of 2 and 4 series are so tempting for buyers, I can tell why they're always selling their break my wallet cars so well. I personally saw a sonic blue 428 the other day and it was so attractive. Power actually is more predominant than handling imo.
Old 03-13-14, 01:36 AM
Slust
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by finalhope
Power actually is more predominant than handling imo.
If that's true than you should buy a Stingray instead as none of the german cars in your lineup can compete with that. Gotta jump up to the C63 AMG for that one but pricewise it competes with the 335i at the low end and a base M3 at the high end.

And honestly your statement comes across as very inexperienced. HP gets more attention like benchpress numbers get more attention in the gym. Just because it gets more attention doesn't make justified. There is more to being good athlete than benchpress and there is more to a good car than power. Handling is just as important as it can make or break the car. Try finding a true car enthusiast not comment on handling.
Old 03-13-14, 05:16 AM
chris2k5
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by NYKnick101
So let me recap. with you two.

Because an IS-F doesnt have the 3 numbers doesnt make it a luxury sedan? Same goes as well with the M3
And Chris is saying because the IS-F has a V8 makes it not a luxury sedan even though just like the F sport has the sport tuned suspension and everything just like the IS-F. IDK what sheet metal has to do with anything.

And the RS4 is still a sedan even tho its a wagon?

and okay ill give you the CTS-V even though the ATS is classified as compact and the CTS is classified as midsize like the rest but what ever. But now ATS is even better because there is an ATS-V as well. I'm guessing thats not comparable to the IS-F either since it has a 400 hp V6 twin turbo

To clear this up, I agree the IS350 is comparable to the 3-series, A/S4, C-Class etc. but why is the IS-F/M3/c63/ats-v not NOT a sport luxury car event though made by a luxury car brand and classified as a luxury car like its successors? and why is it not the top teir when they clearly are? because something is sport tuned does not make it NOT A LUXURY CAR. If you really want to define luxury cars, NONE OF THESE CARS ARE BECAUSE NONE OF THEM ARE ACTUALLY LUXURIOUS LOL

And don't separate class by price. We are specifically talking Compact/Midsized luxury sedans here!
You just keep saying the same thing post after post. I don't like talking to walls. That said your logic is totally off. No other member here agrees with you.
Old 03-13-14, 06:10 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by dizlex
Sorry, but you're the one who is wrong. No offense to the F-Sport owners, but it's clearly a MOSTLY cosmetic package. Yes, I know there's a suspension upgrade, but to compare it to BMW's M-cars or Audi's RS cars is clearly not appropriate.
and it still beat the 3 in tests, when the 3IS had junk bridgestone turanzas and the 3 had excellent potenza S04 pole postions
Old 03-13-14, 06:23 AM
ProDriver
Driver School Candidate

Test drove the 2014 335I M sport and LOVED the power and shifting speed and kick in the straight line but that's pretty much it. YES Beemer do win in a straight line with power but that's not all I'm looking for. I leased IS350 F-sport is not because power only, IS handles sharp corner better when I test drive, also seats are very comfy compare to BMW. not even talking about features and cosmetic. and also dollar per dollar compares too.
Bottom line I would say I bought the whole package not just the engine.
I could have lease a BMW with same price as IS they offered and I know it was a good deal coming from BMW but I still like IS. if you like straight line with raw power than go with G37 coupe which my wife drives now and they do kick your head back like you want to.
Old 03-13-14, 06:24 AM
JGard18
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, this thread really derailed quickly.

All I'll add on two points.

1. CLA from Merc doesn't compete. It's a FWD car, ie, it's a piece of crap. The C-class is the IS' competition from Merc, plain and simple.

2. The CTS is a mid-sized sports sedan. IS, C class, 3-series, A4...they're all "Compact sport" sedans. Different class of cars. As someone else pointed out, direct competition from Caddy here is the ATS. The CTS butts up against the GS
Old 03-13-14, 06:33 AM
carderoni
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JGard18
Wow, this thread really derailed quickly.

All I'll add on two points.

1. CLA from Merc doesn't compete. It's a FWD car, ie, it's a piece of crap. The C-class is the IS' competition from Merc, plain and simple.

2. The CTS is a mid-sized sports sedan. IS, C class, 3-series, A4...they're all "Compact sport" sedans. Different class of cars. As someone else pointed out, direct competition from Caddy here is the ATS. The CTS butts up against the GS
Right, I can't believe the amount of confusion in this thread. Pricing them out and comparing specs it's easy to see the delineations within the compact sport sedan segment between all these brands:

The "standard" sedans with factory sport packages
  • BMW 335i M-Sport
  • Audi S4
  • Lexus IS 350 F-Sport
  • Mercedes C350 Sport
  • Infiniti Q50 S or G37 S
  • Cadillac ATS 3.6

The top of the line "halo" cars based on the above sedans
  • BMW M3
  • Audi RS4
  • Lexus IS-F
  • Mercedes C63
Old 03-13-14, 06:35 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

CLA AMG is actually AWD, regular CLA is FWD
Old 03-13-14, 07:23 AM
tlr
Rookie

To awnser your question op the is 350 is a little bit underpowered and to heavy.
Rant:
Oh toyota stop being so coy...you remeber that thing called 2jzgte...all you need is to bore and stroke it to 3.4...
I would have gladly payed and extra 10000 to have one on my engine bay...
Old 03-13-14, 07:47 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by carderoni
Right, I can't believe the amount of confusion in this thread. Pricing them out and comparing specs it's easy to see the delineations within the compact sport sedan segment between all these brands:

The "standard" sedans with factory sport packages
  • BMW 335i M-Sport
  • Audi S4
  • Lexus IS 350 F-Sport
  • Mercedes C350 Sport
  • Infiniti Q50 S or G37 S
  • Cadillac ATS 3.6

The top of the line "halo" cars based on the above sedans
  • BMW M3
  • Audi RS4
  • Lexus IS-F
  • Mercedes C63
THIS IS WHAT IVE BEEN TRYING TO SAY ALL ALONG!! Chris and who ever keeps on saying that first list is the TOP OF THE LINE when its not and there is tier higher. And he Still hasn't explained why that top of the line is NOT considered a "compact sport luxury sedan" because its "Sport Tuned". I can name countless amounts of "sport tuned" cars that are still considered luxury cars (Bentley Continental GT, EVERY Maserati and Jaguar, etc).

Sorry to go off on such a tangent from the OP but I'm just disputing the comment that these "Sport Tuned" cars are NOT considered Luxury cars
Old 03-13-14, 08:12 AM
WWM
Rookie

All comparably equipped:

Audi S4 - $63,650
Lexus IS350 - $53,200
BMW 335i - $62,700

These cars cannot be compared without considering the rather large price discrepancies. If one doesn't understand context, one shouldn't be debating about anything, ever.
Old 03-13-14, 08:33 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

how is a IS350 $53k, mine was $48500 MSRP
Old 03-13-14, 08:45 AM
WWM
Rookie

Canadian prices.
Old 03-13-14, 09:50 AM
IS350S2K
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
how is a IS350 $53k, mine was $48500 MSRP
Depends on your options. Mine came out over $49k msrp. And that wasn't fully loaded.
Old 03-13-14, 09:58 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by finalhope
Well to many of you guys who didn't know what my original post stated meant the brand new CLA AMG and not the C63 AMG. I posted the S4 to compare with the IS350 F Sport because the A4 is a FWD under power dog. I believe my original post has the best comparison in terms of each brand's segment lineup compared to the IS350 F Sport. Just remember that price is always higher for the Germans. Oh also Beemer's new lineup of 2 and 4 series are so tempting for buyers, I can tell why they're always selling their break my wallet cars so well. I personally saw a sonic blue 428 the other day and it was so attractive. Power actually is more predominant than handling imo.
A good number of A4's are sold with Quattro, not just the S4. Base A4's offer FWD.

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
CLA AMG is actually AWD, regular CLA is FWD
Actually the CLA250 is available with 4Matic. It's a $2000 option called 4MATIC Package

Quick Reply: IS350 F Sport Underpower against Germans?