IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

IS350 F Sport Underpower against Germans?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-14, 07:52 PM
chris2k5
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dizlex
Sorry, but you're the one who is wrong. No offense to the F-Sport owners, but it's clearly a MOSTLY cosmetic package. Yes, I know there's a suspension upgrade, but to compare it to BMW's M-cars or Audi's RS cars is clearly not appropriate.

Check out the hardware on an M3 sometime. More powerful motor. Bigger brakes. Limited-slip differential. They even replace a lot of the steel suspension components with beefy cast-aluminum parts.

Anyway, maybe I'm just old, but I'm not competing with other drivers, and 3.5L 306 HP motor is plenty powerful. The motor may be an "old" design, but that's cost savings that (hopefully) were passed-on to the consumer. If anyone doesn't like the package that Lexus offers, they are free to shop elsewhere.
Did you even read my post? Your post agrees with my post yet you say I'm wrong. Lol...
Old 03-12-14, 07:58 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chris2k5
You are WRONG.

1. The IS-F is not luxury. It is Lexus's sport tune division of cars.
2. The Audi RS4 is Audi's sport tune division car.
3. The M3 is not the top of the sports luxury market. It is BMW's sport tune division.
4. Same goes with Mercedes
5. CTS is not even in this class of cars.

IS-F = RS4 = M3 = C63 = Sport tuned models

IS350 = 335i = S4 = C350 (soon to be C400) = sport luxury models
Umm how am i wrong

1. IS-F is IDENTICAL to all ISx50's body/interior wise but its not luxury like the rest of the IS cars? That doesn't even make any sense. F-Sport line is pretty much based off the IS-F and like the IS-f to ISx50's 85% of the parts are interchangable
2. Audi RS4 IS the sport tuned version of the car so you are right but its ONLY offered in wagon making it NOT a sedan
3. The M3 is the top of the line of the BMW 3 series line. and every BMW has a M-series car, M1/M3/M5/M6/M7. The 3 series is the line comparable to the IS350
4. Just like lexus, there is a C250/C350/C63AMG. Making the AMG the TOP TEIR OF THE LINE!
5. Please explain how the CTS-v is not even in the Sport Luxury class? Its defined by GM as "A MIDSIZED LUXURY SPORTS CAR" just like the C-Class, 3-series, A4/S4, and IS. I would love to hear this answer

You guys are separating it by price which is wrong IMO. If everything was separated by price then a LS would be in the same class as a CTS-V which it is clearly not

Last edited by NYKnick101; 03-12-14 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-12-14, 07:59 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

A 228 spec'd somewhat like an IS runs $45,250. An IS250 Fsport with ML and all options at about $42,418.
Old 03-12-14, 08:02 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by J-Velocity
Not exactly true.
The Germans are designed to have flaws so they can make profit on repairing.
They are so well engineered that if the warranty expires tomorrow it will break down the day after.
If you know the tech from the dealers they will tell you stay away from the modern Germans.
Let me not believe BMW wants a reputation of unreliable in purpose so they make more money. That's just absurd. any more conspiracy theories?
Old 03-12-14, 08:06 PM
chris2k5
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by NYKnick101
Umm how am i wrong

1. IS-F is IDENTICAL to all ISx50's body/interior wise but its not luxury like the rest of the IS cars? That doesn't even make any sense. F-Sport line is pretty much based off the IS-F and like the IS-f to ISx50's all the parts are interchangable
2. Audi RS4 IS the sport tuned version of the car so you are right but its ONLY offered in wagon making it NOT a sedan
3. The M3 is the top of the line of the BMW 3 series line. and every BMW has a M-series car, M1/M3/M5/M6/M7. The 3 series is the line comparable to the IS350
4. Just like lexus, there is a C250/C350/C63AMG. Making the AMG the TOP TEIR OF THE LINE!
5. Please explain how the CTS is not even in the Sport Luxury class? Its defined by GM as "A MIDSIZED LUXURY SPORTS CAR" just like the C-Class, 3-series, A4/S4, and IS. I would love to hear this answer
1. IS-F body has different sheet metal. It has an aggressive sport tuned suspension. It has a V8 engine. If you can't tell the difference then FACE PALM.

2. M3 is the sport tuned car that is comparable to the IS-F. The 335i is comparable to the IS350 F Sport because they are both in the entry luxury sports sedan segment.

3. Again, C63 AMG is comparable to the sport tuned IS-F. The C350 and IS350 F Sport are comparable because they are in the entry luxury sports sedan segment.

4. If you can't tell why the CTS does not compete with the C Class, 3 Series, S4, and IS, then I can't help you. Please go take a look at their sizes. The ATS competes with the C Class, 3 Series, S4, and IS350 - NOT the CTS.
Old 03-12-14, 08:09 PM
chris2k5
Pit Crew

Here is more for you to nibble on. These magazines compared the cars accordingly because they are in the SAME class:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...50_comparison/

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/20...son-60177.html

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-revi...n-65-3-roa1013

And trust me. I trust these magazines a HECK of a lot more than someone who can't reason why the CTS is not a IS350 competitor.
Old 03-12-14, 08:15 PM
J-Velocity
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NYKnick101
Umm how am i wrong

1. IS-F is IDENTICAL to all ISx50's body/interior wise but its not luxury like the rest of the IS cars? That doesn't even make any sense. F-Sport line is pretty much based off the IS-F and like the IS-f to ISx50's 85% of the parts are interchangable
5. Please explain how the CTS-v is not even in the Sport Luxury class? Its defined by GM as "A MIDSIZED LUXURY SPORTS CAR" just like the C-Class, 3-series, A4/S4, and IS. I would love to hear this answer

You guys are separating it by price which is wrong IMO. If everything was separated by price then a LS would be in the same class as a CTS-V which it is clearly not
These has been explained over and over and over and over again
You are wrong because:
1: Are you missing there are 3 digits between IS and F so making it NOT the IS-F which is the same cass as M3, RS4, C63 which cost over 30~40%?
2: M3 is NOT the top line of 3-series. 335i is the top of the 3 Series. If you goes on the BMW web site M3 is NOT under 3-series its under M-Series.
3: Regardless of the body style of RS4 its still the performance version of the entry level of luxury sedan.
4: Same as point 2.
5. You know the CTS is mid size sedan which makes it the same class as 5-series, E-class, Q70, A6, GS etc in price-wise and size-wise. The ATS is the entry level luxury sedan in IS, 3-series, A/S4, C-class, Q50, etc.
Old 03-12-14, 08:22 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by chris2k5
Did you even read my post? Your post agrees with my post yet you say I'm wrong. Lol...
You're right. I mis-read IS-F as F-Sport. I think some others may have, also.
Old 03-12-14, 08:23 PM
J-Velocity
Rookie

You're the one who should read. You put these cars in the same class.

"IS-F = RS4 = M3 = C63 = Sport tuned models"

The IS-F is not even close to those others, and I don't care if some magazines compared them (and predictably found that the IS-F was outclassed).
The IS-F (NOT IS350 F-Sport) is the same entry level luxury performance vehicle segment as the M3, C63, RS4 etc in performance wise (416hp) and price wise (60g-ish) as the same generation of the others (E9x M3 414hp, B7 RS4 420hp, C63 469hp)
It performs close if not better than the others
Old 03-12-14, 08:26 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by J-Velocity
The IS-F (NOT IS350 F-Sport) is the same entry level luxury performance vehicle segment as the M3, C63, RS4 etc in performance wise (416hp) and price wise (60g-ish) as the same generation of the others (E9x M3 414hp, B7 RS4 420hp, C63 469hp)
It performs close if not better than the others
I saw my error and deleted the post the you quoted, but too late.
Old 03-12-14, 08:30 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So let me recap. with you two.

Because an IS-F doesnt have the 3 numbers doesnt make it a luxury sedan? Same goes as well with the M3
And Chris is saying because the IS-F has a V8 makes it not a luxury sedan even though just like the F sport has the sport tuned suspension and everything just like the IS-F. IDK what sheet metal has to do with anything.

And the RS4 is still a sedan even tho its a wagon?

and okay ill give you the CTS-V even though the ATS is classified as compact and the CTS is classified as midsize like the rest but what ever. But now ATS is even better because there is an ATS-V as well. I'm guessing thats not comparable to the IS-F either since it has a 400 hp V6 twin turbo

To clear this up, I agree the IS350 is comparable to the 3-series, A/S4, C-Class etc. but why is the IS-F/M3/c63/ats-v not NOT a sport luxury car event though made by a luxury car brand and classified as a luxury car like its successors? and why is it not the top teir when they clearly are? because something is sport tuned does not make it NOT A LUXURY CAR. If you really want to define luxury cars, NONE OF THESE CARS ARE BECAUSE NONE OF THEM ARE ACTUALLY LUXURIOUS LOL

And don't separate class by price. We are specifically talking Compact/Midsized luxury sedans here!

Last edited by NYKnick101; 03-12-14 at 08:41 PM.
Old 03-12-14, 08:34 PM
Slust
Pole Position

Oh gosh... so much whining! If engine speed is all you care about why didn't you guys buy a Mustang or a WRX STI or better yet a Stingray (3.8s 0-60!)...

Most car enthusiasts don't compare the S4 to the IS350. I think I've seen 1 review that did. If it didn't handle so poorly and had better reliability than what it has I would have bought the S4. Always loved them.

If I was BMW I'm not sure I'd be bragging my 335i competes with a car that costs $10k less and that my car lost its identify (no longer the funnest driving car around, in fact, it's boring). If I was Infiniti I'm not sure I'd brag my car has more HP than a IS350 but yet has almost the same 0-60 and a 1/4 mile time. If I was Cadillac I'm not sure I'd brag my car has more HP, almost the same torque but has the same 0-60 ...but/and a slower 1/4 mile and 0-100 romp.

Point
All cars have something to complain about. This topic is a very one-sided view. Grats you found the 1 true weakness of the IS. Now if you guys are really as open minded as you claim you will list the major faults with the other brands too.

Reality
All are great cars. All have something worthy of being a fan about. All have weaknesses keeping them from being perfect.
Old 03-12-14, 08:54 PM
Larry96815
Lead Lap

I have owned two Mercedes and three Lexus. All of them have had their own good and bad. They have all had their differences. I have enjoyed owning all of them. Different is just that, different. Just enjoy what you have now and then enjoy the next car too.

Aloha,
Larry
Old 03-12-14, 10:49 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I saw an M235i the other day. Very nice car. The interior is somewhat cheap, but what a mechanical package! If I was in the market for a 2-door, I would be very tempted.

Oh, just budget $500 for the upgraded brake calipers. Very nice!
New 2-Series looks great. Was never a fan of the 1-Series, and haven't warmed up to the 4-Series. 2 seems just right
Old 03-13-14, 12:30 AM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry, but you're the one who is wrong. No offense to the F-Sport owners, but it's clearly a MOSTLY cosmetic package. Yes, I know there's a suspension upgrade, but to compare it to BMW's M-cars or Audi's RS cars is clearly not appropriate.

Check out the hardware on an M3 sometime. More powerful motor. Bigger brakes. Limited-slip differential. They even replace a lot of the steel suspension components with beefy cast-aluminum parts.

Anyway, maybe I'm just old, but I'm not competing with other drivers, and 3.5L 306 HP motor is plenty powerful. The motor may be an "old" design, but that's cost savings that (hopefully) were passed-on to the consumer. If anyone doesn't like the package that Lexus offers, they are free to shop elsewhere.
Correct you are old and you don't understand that an M3 and an IS F are direct competitors not an IS 350 F SPORT which competes with Bmws 335 with M SPORT package. The poster you responded to was only wrong about one thing. A CTS V ABSOLUTELY DOES compete with the top of the line sports sedans from Bmw, Audi, Merc, and Lex.

Quick Reply: IS350 F Sport Underpower against Germans?