IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

8-speed manual mode

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-14, 05:36 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 8-speed manual mode

When in manual mode, if you stomp the gas, does it stay in that gear, or (as most autos with manual modes do) does it downshift for you?

I tried this with a 6-speed auto, and it stayed in that gear, which was a pleasant surprise.
Old 03-11-14, 07:34 PM
TheShaddix
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

it stays in the gear in manual mode.
Old 03-11-14, 08:08 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

It will not up shift automatically but it will downshift by itself if the speed decreased dramatically.
Old 03-12-14, 07:38 AM
JGard18
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will upshift automatically, too. Just gotta get it closer to the redline. I won't hold. Major disappointment.
Old 03-12-14, 07:39 AM
gvan1998
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i just tried it wont hold gear. it will automatically upshift
Old 03-12-14, 08:22 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

What rpm you guys were hitting when it started to up shift by itself?
Old 03-12-14, 08:43 AM
JGard18
Pole Position

6,500 or so
Old 03-12-14, 09:19 AM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 207 Likes on 142 Posts

I test drove the IS350 (non F-Sport) and the IS350 F-Sport. They both upshifted automatically whether using manual mode using the gear stick/selector in the console OR using the paddle shifters on the steering wheel. From what I remember, downshifts were the same way - the car automatically put you in the "proper" gear (I can't remember the downshift part exactly, so others may need to confirm).

The car automatically upshifts occur when it gets just before the redline area (as JGard18 pointed out, - around 6,500 rpm; if I had to precise, it would be around 6,700 rpm).

This is consistent with what is stated in this review: http://95octane.com/2013/12/16/2014-...-sport-review/

"Both automatic transmissions can also be shifted manually using either steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters or the console-mounted floor shifter. In manual mode, you can upshift at your whim, but the car automatically downshifts if you don’t drop gears fast enough, and will automatically upshift if you redline it."

Honestly, this was quite disappointing for me to find out because the whole purpose of me wanting to use the "manual" mode (more like "semi automatic mode") was to be able to fully control my upshifts and downshifts myself. I wanted to keep the IS350 in the higher rpm range so the power was always available, but the engine did not allow me to do this.

I am not sure if all Lexus vehicles are like this or have been like this, but it definitely takes away from the fun imho.

~ Im2bz2p345

Last edited by Im2bz2p345; 03-12-14 at 09:42 AM.
Old 03-12-14, 09:22 AM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't understand how automatically upshifting at redline would take away from the fun? Is it fun to drive your whole commute at 6500rpm?
Old 03-12-14, 09:33 AM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Originally Posted by Aeromotive
I don't understand how automatically upshifting at redline would take away from the fun? Is it fun to drive your whole commute at 6500rpm?
Have you ever drove a true manual car in a sprinted way on streets or more specifically around a track? If so, you would realize the benefit of holding gears and using the higher rpm range of a sports car.

You're basically not able to use the 6,700 rpm through the 8,000 rpm range, so what's the purpose of having it on the dash (http://95octane.com/wp-content/uploa..._f_type_17.jpg)?

That's the same thing as some cars having a mph guage that goes to a 200 mph, when the car is only capable of 140 mph maximum. I just don't understand it besides to maybe fill in space/make things look more uniform on the dash.

Try driving a manual Honda S2000, where the rev limiter hits at around 8,700 rpm, through bunch of tight twisty roads, then come back to using the IS350 in "manual" mode and tell which is more fun to drive

My two cents,

~ Im2bz2p345

Last edited by Im2bz2p345; 03-12-14 at 09:44 AM.
Old 03-12-14, 09:36 AM
sc00b
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JGard18
It will upshift automatically, too. Just gotta get it closer to the redline. I won't hold. Major disappointment.
agreed i cannot believe they did that
Old 03-12-14, 10:30 AM
OMVR
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish it was a setting we could change.
Old 03-12-14, 11:21 AM
TheShaddix
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The car holds any gear right up to redline (when fully warmed up). I've had mostly manual cars before and let me tell you, if you're on the track and constantly redlining your car and letting it bounce off the limiter and thinking that's fun, you're doing something wrong. There is a perfect time for it to shift, and If you want it to keep it in the same gear, don't abuse it and keep it around 5.5-6.5k range which is actually where all the power is. If it does upshift for you, well, learn the car, don't try to make it learn you. You're expecting an automatic car to be manual while all It tries to do is add all the benefits of having a manual without sacrificing reliability, and it nails that aspect other than the slow downshifts. The upshifts are nearly instant, there is no slip at all. The downshifts by a gear or two are also fast and sharp. See, one person may know when to upshift because they think they have "experience", another idiot will buy an IS, put it in M mode, and just stay in the same gear, bouncing off the limiter, till something overheats and causes damage. That's exactly why lexus do what they do - they make sure your car lasts so many years as opposed to a car built for a track, etc. You buy a used IS 5 years from now and it still works perfectly well. There is a reason for that. And comparing it to an s2k which makes all of its power near redline is not practical. You gotta get this mentality out of your head when you buy into this car segment. I don't compare my IS to my 350z that I had with a twin turbo, a kevlar twin disc clutch, etc. I don't say how nicely it used to rev up and the motor sounded so good, and I won't mention the torque. I just take the IS for what it is which is a fun, reliable, comfortable, and really good looking car.

Last edited by TheShaddix; 03-12-14 at 11:29 AM.
Old 03-12-14, 12:48 PM
JGard18
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Im2bz2p345
Have you ever drove a true manual car in a sprinted way on streets or more specifically around a track? If so, you would realize the benefit of holding gears and using the higher rpm range of a sports car.

You're basically not able to use the 6,700 rpm through the 8,000 rpm range, so what's the purpose of having it on the dash (http://95octane.com/wp-content/uploa..._f_type_17.jpg)?

That's the same thing as some cars having a mph guage that goes to a 200 mph, when the car is only capable of 140 mph maximum. I just don't understand it besides to maybe fill in space/make things look more uniform on the dash.

Try driving a manual Honda S2000, where the rev limiter hits at around 8,700 rpm, through bunch of tight twisty roads, then come back to using the IS350 in "manual" mode and tell which is more fun to drive

My two cents,

~ Im2bz2p345
Are you new to cars? Your post makes me think you really don't understand how they work. Pretty much every car ever made (ignoring American cars of the 80s) have a speedometer that can read higher than the car can go and a tach that shows higher revs than the engine is allowed to rev to.

As for the post about holding gears, you can very much drive this like a manual, with the exception of once you hit redline, it'll shift. If you had a manual, when you hit redline, it hits a rev-limiter and you stop accelerating. The engine has fuel cut and it drops speed, then fuel turns on again and it speeds up to redline, rinse, repeat.

So basically, your first point about driving it like a manual is wrong, because you really can (I've been driving only manuals for the past 15 years). And your point about revving beyond redline is also wrong, because no matter what transmission you have, any modern car will not allow you to do it.
Old 03-12-14, 12:55 PM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Originally Posted by TheShaddix
The car holds any gear right up to redline (when fully warmed up). I've had mostly manual cars before and let me tell you, if you're on the track and constantly redlining your car and letting it bounce off the limiter and thinking that's fun, you're doing something wrong. There is a perfect time for it to shift, and If you want it to keep it in the same gear, don't abuse it and keep it around 5.5-6.5k range which is actually where all the power is. If it does upshift for you, well, learn the car, don't try to make it learn you. You're expecting an automatic car to be manual while all It tries to do is add all the benefits of having a manual without sacrificing reliability, and it nails that aspect other than the slow downshifts. The upshifts are nearly instant, there is no slip at all. The downshifts by a gear or two are also fast and sharp. See, one person may know when to upshift because they think they have "experience", another idiot will buy an IS, put it in M mode, and just stay in the same gear, bouncing off the limiter, till something overheats and causes damage. That's exactly why lexus do what they do - they make sure your car lasts so many years as opposed to a car built for a track, etc. You buy a used IS 5 years from now and it still works perfectly well. There is a reason for that. And comparing it to an s2k which makes all of its power near redline is not practical. You gotta get this mentality out of your head when you buy into this car segment. I don't compare my IS to my 350z that I had with a twin turbo, a kevlar twin disc clutch, etc. I don't say how nicely it used to rev up and the motor sounded so good, and I won't mention the torque. I just take the IS for what it is which is a fun, reliable, comfortable, and really good looking car.
Point well taken - the IS is a semi sporty luxury sedan (and it leans more on the luxury side than on the sporty side, which I think most owners will agree with). It's definitely not designed to be a track car, so I know it can't be compared to a true sport's car.

For reliability, it's probably is better that it shifts right before redline. They could probably make it a lot more reliable, but then you would be sacrificing even more "fun" (i.e. if they had less compression per piston, it would also be more "reliable".. but you're also going to get a slower car then = less fun).

So if you're going to question if which car is more "FUN":

1) An IS350 F-Sport where you full control the upshifts & downshifts.. in which you can actually USE the 6.5k-8k rpm band.

vs

2) An IS350 F-Sport where it upshifts and down shifts for you automatically.. making the 6.5k-8k rpm band useless.

Once again, the choice is simple This is the only reason I even mentioned the S2K (which despite it's high rev limit is a dam reliable car fyi).

Different strokes for different folks though

~ Im2bz2p345

Last edited by Im2bz2p345; 03-12-14 at 12:58 PM.

Quick Reply: 8-speed manual mode