IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3Gen IS or IS-f

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-14, 04:37 PM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by silverag
i was looking around and have priced a 2014 is 250 f-sport and an 08 is-f. Just wanted to get input which one should be best. Why would i get the new is vs the is-f?
is-f ftw!!
Old 03-09-14, 05:28 PM
phungy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the 250 F-Sport and IS-F are both similarly priced then IS-F. If it was 350 F-Sport and IS-F then I'd pick the 350. I don't need a V8 with over 400hp as a daily.
Old 03-09-14, 11:19 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by silverAg
Thanks for all the feedback guys. It will not be a daily driver but it'll be driven 2-3x a week I have a daily yaris and weekend GTR and I wanted to get into the car show scene again as well.
With that combo, I wouldn't buy an IS
Old 03-10-14, 10:00 AM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 207 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by TheShaddix
There is a thread here about this already. That will help you with your decision
As TheShaddix mentioned, there is already another thread about this exact same topic: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...used-is-f.html

I would request the mods to merge them. I gave my two cents in the aforementioned topic, so I won't repeat it here.

Good luck with your decision,

~ Im2bz2p345
Old 03-11-14, 05:19 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mnm27mnm
V6 vs v8, new vs used, different body's. I think in an is350 you 'll average about 18-20mpg. On isf about 13-16mpg. So its all up to you and what you want.
My F averages 19-20 mpg in the city (less in winter, more in summer), 27 hwy. My 06 IS350, which has the same V6 as the current IS, differed by one mpg or so. The 250 will obviously do better, while I expect an eventual update to the ISx50 motor will produce better numbers as well. Otherwise, unless I drive with a very heavy foot, manually shifting at higher than necessary RPM, the car makes relatively good mpg.

I'd definitely base my decision more on the price, newer body, and outstanding interior of the 3IS, not so much the practicality of hp or mpg, which will be plenty livable in both cars (at least with the 350).

If the 250, I'd definitely drive one first and see if a person could live with that hp/lb. Personally, it wasn't for me.
Old 06-14-15, 12:55 PM
antonios32
Rookie

ISF over IS 250 F Sport
Old 06-14-15, 05:14 PM
glo6035
Rookie

If Lexus would release the new ISF that would be ideal
Old 06-14-15, 07:26 PM
Roffles
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I had a 2011 ISF for a few years and recently got a CPO 2014 350 F-sport Obsidian with Rioja interior with all the options. Long story short, I didn't want to lose my ISF but I had to tap into the equity of it to buy a house... and 18 months after recovering from the new mortgage, now it doesn't make sense for me to go back to a 400hp car when the platform has been retired. So I went with the new F-Sport. Keeping in mind that I thought I was downgrading, here's my opinion from driving both cars:

1. The ISF and IS 350 F Sport both have good handling. The ISF is definitely more planted to the earth in a "every second counts on a race track" sort of way where the F-Sport with the VGRS can still handle a sharp corner in a "that was very satisfying and felt totally awesome" sort of way. I'm really anxious to install pilot super sports on this car because it feels like the tires don't do the suspension justice in S+. As awesome as the handling and steering and feedback of the ISF are, I'm actually more entertained by the driving dynamics provided by the different driving modes. So ultimately I prefer the F-Sport for daily driving.

2. The 835W ML stereo upgrade in the '14 F-Sport blows my old ISF's ML out of the water. Wow, what a great stereo. No comparison. I will find myself wanting to go for joy rides just to listen to music.

3. The 8-speed in the F-sport and the F are like apples and oranges. The F has way more powerband to exploit all those gears so it's more fun to drive fast or drive slow. The 5.0L V8 is just a superior engine in every imaginable way. A few times already in the F-sport, I've played with the paddle shifters and thought, "what's the point, there's no top end on this engine". Paddling through the gears on the ISF no matter if you're cruising or pushing it is an absolute BLAST... you feel the engine charging up and settling into the new gear. No comparison. It's cool to have 8 gears and all, don't get me wrong, but the satisfaction of powering through the gears isn't in the same league.

4. The F-sport isn't so much slower that I feel let down. Okay, seriously, there's no comparison if you were to find an empty stretch of road and decide you're going to do a speed run. You better be ready for it and you better know what you're doing because you'll find yourself hitting speeds of 130, 140, 150 faster that your mind can grasp it. But for hustling around in a crowded town where there's always a slow poke in front of you, you won't ever have a chance to tap into that extra 110hp so the F and F-Sport are really not that different around town. And for those times when you do find an open stretch of road, you can still push the F-Sport and get that same general feeling of satisfaction.

5. Gas milage seems about equal so far. Maybe 1 or 2 mpg better in the F sport.

6. The Alcantara bucket seats in the ISF are slightly more supportive but both seats have a similar comfort level. And I'm happy about the Nuluxe... it feels good and it's easier to clean and maintain.

7. It took a while to grow on me, had to see a lot of them on the roads and it slowly set in... but I prefer the next gen styling. That's usually how it goes.

8. Enform still sucks and the audio interface still sucks, I hope one day there is an option to switch to Android Auto because Toyota/Lexus don't seem to get it.

9. The new instrument panel and technology are obviously next gen... a more satisfying place to be cruising down the road.

Overall, it's a better daily driver for sure and I don't miss my F as much as I thought I would. I usually get the new car itch every 3 to 5 years but I can see myself keeping this one for 8 to 10 years. Great car.
Old 06-15-15, 10:14 AM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

used IS-F are still very expensive, it'll be high until they release the next gen IS-F. here in socal 3 year old IS-F with less than 30k miles are going for mid to high $40k.