IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2014 IS250 iPod Error

Old 04-04-15, 11:33 PM
mosefus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you're right . The alternator powers when car in motion and battery powers when engine off. I still believe upgraded battery was the cure. I believe the stock battery is defective in the sense that it doesn't hold charge as evidenced by dead battery twice while parked With lights off manually. Also there was always a hesitancy when ever I started th car . There was a time when I briefly thought the starter was the issue with the hesitancy. My theory is whenever I started the car there is just enough power from the battery to start. But when driving battery pulls more power from the alternator ( to recharge itself ) there is not enough power left to power the audio source hence the frequent interruption of power with ipod error message. Now that I have a better battery with higher reserve power, the alternator is running at optimal power. The stock battery somehow got drained even when not using accessory audio with engine off. You notice the error messages frequently occurred first 15 to 30 minutes after start up -- meaning battery being slowly recharged hence pulling more power from the alternator. The error message stops after driving for a while meaning battery is recharged and alternator is working at optimal power. Remember it's easier for alternator to top off battery versus recharging a drained one. The alternator has a finite power that is designed to make. This is the reason capacitors or higher output alternator is required when upgrading to high wattage aftermarket sound systems.

Last edited by mosefus; 04-05-15 at 12:00 PM.
Old 04-05-15, 03:40 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

@mosefus you don't need to convince anyone but yourself. Google is great, as is all knowledge applied in proper context. If you feel your issue is resolved by a new battery, then great. Can't argue with success, can we?

Last edited by My0gr81; 04-05-15 at 04:28 PM.
Old 04-05-15, 05:15 PM
mosefus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by My0gr81
@mosefus you don't need to convince anyone but yourself. Google is great, as is all knowledge applied in proper context. If you feel your issue is resolved by a new battery, then great. Can't argue with success, can we?
Thanks man. It just took me a while to figure out ipod issue. I just felt compelled to share my experience. thanks anyway. Happy Easter.
Old 05-05-15, 02:25 PM
sinuspain
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kukie
I have exactly the same issue and it happens to me with my new iPhone 6 Plus running iOS 8.1. I took the car to dealership yesterday and confirmed this is a software issue to this generation of audio/nav system. I have the latest software installed in my car so I'm hoping Lexus will fix this issue with a software patch in the future.

Like the previous post, that trigger this 'iPod Error' is change of cell phone's network state. We can force this error by toggle the "Air Plane" and "WiFi" mode while playing audio via the car's iPod interface.

One workaround I found to avoid this 'iPod Error' condition is to simply turn off "WiFi" when I'm in the car and playing audio via the car's iPod interface. There is no need to have the phone's WiFi enabled while drive, but do need to remember to turn it back on when getting out of the car.
It has nothing to do with the state of your cell phone's network. Of course the music will stop playing and you will get an error if you put your iPhone in airplane mode if it's relying on a connection (using a streaming music service). That's a no brainer.

It's merely a software issue on the side of Lexus. It seems that they developed their software around the iPod (and maybe the old iPhone) and not the most current iPhone which is much more complicated. iPods do not have all the added features of Bluetooth, cellular networks, messaging, apps, etc.

I'm almost certain Lexus is a bit behind...they probably just moved over their iPod/iPhone integration from the previous generation, thinking it would work flawlessly. The dealer finally admitted that this issue is a software one.
Old 07-09-15, 12:35 PM
waynetech2
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2014 IS250 iPod Error

This is now fixed for me with updating my iPhone 6+ to iOS 8.4
Old 07-09-15, 09:08 PM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Same here, fixed after updating to the latest iOS.
Old 07-18-15, 09:44 PM
hellogoodb
Driver School Candidate

I've been running iOS 9 beta on my iPhone 6 for the past couple of weeks and I can confirm the iPod error is no longer an issue.
Old 07-20-15, 05:00 AM
showat
Driver School Candidate

Good to know will update and test it out
Old 08-08-15, 04:11 PM
gregerst
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vlas2014
I have exactly the same issue and it happens to me with my iPhone 6 and 5, I found a way to reproduce the issue immediately, the only thing that you need to do to make it fail (“Ipod Error”) is while you are playing a song change the phone to airplane mode, the phone must be connected using the lightning cable, it is not required that the phone is paired with Bluetooth
It looks like if the phone change of network state(4G-LTE-No service) it triggers the “ipod error", it does not happen with other devices that I have like my stereo receiver so I assume it is an unhandled event in car stereo system software that triggers this issue
Thank you. This seems to be the fix for issue I was having. I just picked up a 2014 IS350 F last week and I've always used an old iPhone 4 that I keep in the center console connected to USB for my music. This worked great in my old 08 Infiniti G35 and I never had any issues. But in my new Lexus I would get the iPod error every day when I would leave for work in morning.

The error would always happen at about the same spot, right at the end of my street but seemingly nowhere else. I thought it was odd but I've only had the car a week and I didn't put it together until i saw your post. I even took the car to lexus to get a firmware update hoping it would fix it. Which it didn't but the good news is the firmware update fixed the slowness with system UI. The infotainment system is a lot more responsive and faster than it was before which makes it easier to use now.

Anyway when I saw your post the proverbial light bulb went off. Apparently what's happening in my situation is when the car is in my garage or driveway the iPhone4 is automatically connected to my wifi network and when I drive down the street and it loses connection to the wifi signal which triggers the iPod error in the car. This explains why the error has been occurring at almost the exact same spot everyday. I just tried it in airplane mode and no more error.

I only use wifi to download new music from iTunes match every now and then so it's not an issue for to keep it in airplane mode the rest of the time.