IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Removing protective film in front of rear wheel-wells

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-14, 02:57 PM
rgvfsport
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing protective film in front of rear wheel-wells

Anybody every do this? Just picked up an ultra-white IS350 and the protective film from the factory in front of the rear wheel wells on the back doors stands out like a sore thumb. I think it would look cleaner without it and I can't imagine too much damage happening there from road debris.

Thoughts?
Old 03-03-14, 03:02 PM
bradtopp
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please see here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...tive-film.html
Old 03-03-14, 03:03 PM
redcupr
Driver

I'm going to live dangerously and remove it from mine, it looks like doggy do. I can't find a way to clean that edge of the dirt that build up on it.

I've been watching where crud from the front wheels lands and it seems to end up on the front door and on the bottom of the sill below the doors, so I'm probably OK with paint chip avoidance. Thankfully they dont really gravel the roads in the Seattle area anymore. The deicer they apply is doing a good job.
Old 03-03-14, 04:21 PM
MileHighF
Driver School Candidate

Just a word of caution: I've put about 2500 miles on mine so far and the protective film has definitely taken some hits. There is one in particular that would certainly have created some serious paint damage had the film not been there to absorb the impact.

Lexus engineers, after many miles of on-road validation, thought to include it to avoid damage and subsequent corrosion; I would leave it there.

Just my $.02
Old 03-03-14, 05:11 PM
DexRox512
Turkey Killer

^^^ There is a good reason it's there. It's your car though...
Old 03-03-14, 05:38 PM
TheShaddix
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

It's the same principle as people installing clear bra's. Personally I don't care about little rock chips and such because it's inevitable, and I never really keep my car long enough to worry. However, I don't like the look of those protective films so I took mine off on the sides and the trunk area. They are ok on dark colored cars, but with a white car dirt builds up around the edges and makes the film pieces look really noticeable against the white paint, even after you wash it. Sure, it may protect it from a few chips, but then someone opens a door into yours, or you get a chip in your windshield, and all your efforts of being so careful go down the drain and you realize that you just gotta enjoy the car and stress out less about minor things. I bet some people would drive with a bubble around their cars just to keep it in mint condition. This is personal preference as many other things, but I think the car looks cleaner without those films.
Old 03-03-14, 05:39 PM
bradtopp
Pit Crew

There is really no reason to remove it and one good reason to leave it. I promise you Lexus engineers did not put it there for no reason. Car manufacturers almost NEVER add things that add cost and provide no benefit.

It is seriously not difficult to keep the edges clean either. Not sure why you are finding that so difficult.

Last edited by bradtopp; 03-03-14 at 05:53 PM.
Old 03-03-14, 05:52 PM
bradtopp
Pit Crew

How to clean the edge of clear bra: dip a Qtip in water (if you insist on using chemicals then use a 50/50 IPA Solution) and lightly run it along the edge of the clear bra. If you waxed your car and didn't tape the edge of the clear bra first and have a lot of white reside, then you may need to revert to a toothpick to lightly run along the edge of the clear bra first, then follow with the same H2O/IPA/QTip mentioned above. Remember to tape the edge of the clear bra next time you wax.

Been doing this for years with nary a problem.
Old 03-03-14, 11:30 PM
r0shiro
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

its the worst on Ultra white....remove it.

i just hit 10,000 miles and both sides are uber smooth. =)
Old 03-04-14, 02:39 AM
TheShaddix
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Engineering...The trunk bumper sticker is for those clumsy people who like to throw things into their trunk. You don't need that if you're careful and gentle with things. As for the side ones, the reason they are there is because the doors are curved outwards, so whatever rock chips that fly off of the front wheels, they end up hitting those areas. Most of the time it's not an issue since the angle is so steep, but after a few years of driving you'll see some tiny rock chips there. And cleaning stickers with a q tip isn't any more practical than just not worrying about it at all. To me the stickers look ugly so I'd rather see a few "unnoticeable" imperfections than a dirty line all the time unless I clean them before each drive because they get dirty quickly. In fact, white cars are almost always dirty even after a car wash. Bottom line, OP, it does look better without them, that's a fact. Clean or not, they are noticeable to those who pay attention to detail. That bugged me so I removed them. Weigh your pros and cons and just do it.
Old 03-04-14, 05:23 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

the trunk one is the best touch. I see cars all the time with the luggage scars, when people drop the luggage too early and gouge the rear bumper
Old 03-04-14, 07:19 AM
redcupr
Driver

Originally Posted by bradtopp
There is really no reason to remove it and one good reason to leave it. I promise you Lexus engineers did not put it there for no reason. Car manufacturers almost NEVER add things that add cost and provide no benefit.

It is seriously not difficult to keep the edges clean either. Not sure why you are finding that so difficult.
Please, please, please enlighten me on how to clean the edges. I've had a white Touareg for nine years with a clear bra. I've tried everything to clean the edge. Now the IS with the flim on the side gets twice as dirty.

What do you use for cleaning?
Old 03-04-14, 11:11 AM
oghowie
Driver School Candidate

I'm leasing and have Ultra White, so I took the ones on the rear doors and bumper off. Might even remove the ones in the door handle gaps later.

If you decide to remove it, just peel it off and don't use a hair dryer. Used a hair dryer on the bumper and it left some residue when I peeled it off. For the ones on the door I just peeled them off and there was no residue at all. Keep in mind I only had the car for a week.
Old 03-04-14, 05:22 PM
bradtopp
Pit Crew

I may have enlightened you up above in my previous post

Originally Posted by redcupr
Please, please, please enlighten me on how to clean the edges. I've had a white Touareg for nine years with a clear bra. I've tried everything to clean the edge. Now the IS with the flim on the side gets twice as dirty.

What do you use for cleaning?
Old 03-05-14, 07:18 AM
redcupr
Driver

Originally Posted by bradtopp
I may have enlightened you up above in my previous post
You did, didn't you? I guess I'm not easily enlightened.

If i don't have an IPA in the fridge, can I use a nice pale ale?