IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Gas Mileage - Different Modes

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-14, 12:14 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is the thing to remember. The vehicle is drive by wire. The driving modes is purely in essence ECU manipulation. In theory if you use ECO, and apply 20% throttle; ECO will instead apply 10%. Naturally there is more behind the scenes of this. But in very basic form that's what i gather.
Old 03-09-14, 05:12 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Please mention which cars you have 'cause it's impossible to get 22-23mpg with my 350 in S+ mode.

Last edited by dojoman; 03-09-14 at 08:53 PM.
Old 03-09-14, 06:34 PM
kidfsport
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 350 Fsport and my daily commute is about 60 miles a day (back and forth) consisting of roughly 17 miles on the highway and the other 13 through the city with 0 traffic in the morning except for getting through the gate onto base and moderate traffic on my way home which is less highway because I pick up my kids on the way home consisting of city driving through back roads so gas mileage is still similar to highway due to very little stop and go, I've had my car for a month now and fill up every week, I drive it primarily on ECO (just started pushing it in Sport S+ recently) and i have averaged 23-23.5 mpg a tank getting roughly 380 miles out of a tank. Hope this helps.
Old 03-09-14, 09:20 PM
smardav
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Slust
So I can only offer a small data set. Thinking maybe we can have a central thread so people state what they are getting in the different modes. State what your typical driving pattern is like (thick traffic, lots of short trips, little traffic and long trips, mixed freeway and city, mostly highway, etc.).

Where you live makes a HUGE difference. For example when I lived in NoVA/D.C. with my previous car it got around 14-18mpg. When I moved here it went to 24-27mpg.

So far with the IS350 I've gotten 22-24mpg, mostly 22.4mpg. I would say 50/50 or 60/40 mixed freeway and city driving. I do hit a lot of traffic but it is nothing like LA or DC traffic. In fact, when I first moved here I didn't even recognize it as traffic ...but it is still stop and go during peak traffic hours.

ECO Mode (full tank)
Gauge says: 21.5mpg
Manual calc: 22.2mpg

Normal Mode (full tank)
Gauge says: 21.7mpg
Manual calc: 22.4mpg

Best was 24.0mpg - first tank - Normal, drove rather wimpy.

Normal Mode (With a few Sport/Sport+ outbursts)
Gauge says: 21.7mpg
Manual calc: 22.4mpg

Normal Mode (With a couple Sport/Sport+ outbursts)
Gauge says: 22.7mpg
Manual calc: 23.3mpg

Sport Mode (full tank)
Gauge says: 23.0mpg ...so far (seriously doubt it will last lol )
Manual calc: ???mpg

I know we didn't buy our cars to be Prius v2 drivers but I think most of us would like decent gas mileage to go with our performance. I tried ECO mode on a couple tanks and I'm just not seeing any value with it. Normal mode actually gives me better gas mileage. I'm really hesitant to try a full tank on Sport because I know this engine is hungry and not fuel efficient, but that is my current test ...a full tank on Sport. So far the gauge is reading 23.0mpg but it's early in the tank. I'm not driving super aggressive but I'm not holding back either. If someone is driving slow I'm passing them because well... this car is super fun on Sport and there is a lot less throttle response lag in Sport.

I took someone's word here that Sport/Sport+ is limited to the first 6 gears but it went into 7th gear when I got around 70mph. So maybe when you hit high 80s you get to 8th gear, will have to play around with that. One thing I did find interesting is that even though you are in 7th gear the engine is still at 2.6-2.7k RPM. The picture is blurry because the road isn't smooth so trying to hold the camera straight is really hard.

Should be interesting to see how far Sport will drop my mpg. I think UncleSpud drives in nothing but Sport+ mode so maybe he can chime in.
You keep saying "here", but you never mentioned where. I'm glad you get better mileage "here" than NoVA/DC
Old 03-09-14, 09:26 PM
smardav
Lead Lap

I have IS250 F-Sport. Here are my consumption:
1. 80% hwy driving around 55 mph: 35.1 mpg
2. 80% hwy driving around 65 mph: 30.5 mpg
3. 80% hwy driving around 75 mph : 28.3 mpg
4. 50% hwy driving: 25.7 mpg
5. 40% hwy driving: 24.4 mpg
6. 20% hwy driving and nasty stop & go Houston traffic: 21.5 mpg

All were on normal mode. Eco mode is useless I think. And I don't see the need to continuously use Sport mode, so......
Old 03-09-14, 11:09 PM
Slust
Pole Position

Originally Posted by WWM
I don't think the fact that you have to press the gas pedal harder in Eco mode makes it worse than normal mode. I'm not entirely sure how it works, but when you press the accelerator does that not determine how much torque/power to apply and thus how much gas is used? All Eco mode does is provide less torque/power for a given pressure on the accelerator. So yes you have to press the accelerator harder than in normal mode to get an equivalent amount of torque/power but it's still the same amount of gas being used up. I think the idea behind Eco mode is to make it harder to accidentally apply too much torque/power than is required. which wastes fuel. It could perhaps have the opposite effect, ie. since the throttle sensitivity is so slight, that people are over-doing it when they try to accelerate fast. That's just a matter of learning the feel of the accelerator in Eco mode though.
Well as Crazy said, you pretty much have to baby the car in Eco mode to really see the benefit of it lowering the throttle response. So you would be entering the freeway at very slow speeds while everyone behind you is annoyed merging with people going 70-90mph. Not good. Also you would be passing someone very slowly and that is assuming they don't hike up their speed out of that competitive spirit many seem to have.

The nice thing about Sport mode is I can get a very nice and oh so smooth (NA engines really kick tail for this) burst of speed at the upper end without even downshifting. Try passing someone in Eco mode without making the car downshift. The boost is significant too. I had a mustang chase me down and then stay in the lane beside and behind me I assume to see what I was driving when I zoomed away from him since he got back in the left lane after he caught up with me and I exited the freeway. With Sport mode the power is always handy and waiting for you, very little (if no) lag. Have you seen those cars spew a bunch of exhaust, pop a little and then take off? With sport mode you just go ...all without downshifting if you feather the go pedal well.

Since there is more power readily available and its easier to feather, I think Sport could more efficient ...if I can keep from romping.

Originally Posted by dojoman
Please mention which cars you have 'cause it's impossible to get 22-23mpg with my 350 in S+ mode.
Most of us said, as I said in the OP mine is a 350. I think its impossible to get 22-23mpg in a high traffic area, which is why I stated my anecdote of moving from NoVA/DC to NM.

Originally Posted by kidfsport
I have a 350 Fsport and my daily commute is about 60 miles a day (back and forth) consisting of roughly 17 miles on the highway and the other 13 through the city with 0 traffic in the morning except for getting through the gate onto base and moderate traffic on my way home which is less highway because I pick up my kids on the way home consisting of city driving through back roads so gas mileage is still similar to highway due to very little stop and go, I've had my car for a month now and fill up every week, I drive it primarily on ECO (just started pushing it in Sport S+ recently) and i have averaged 23-23.5 mpg a tank getting roughly 380 miles out of a tank. Hope this helps.
Most definitely, thanks for adding to the thread.

When you say 23-23.5mpg I am guessing you mean that is what the gauge is telling you. You are probably getting more like 25mpg if you are getting 380 miles per tank.

Originally Posted by smardav
You keep saying "here", but you never mentioned where. I'm glad you get better mileage "here" than NoVA/DC
Sorry I was being lazy since I listed my loc in the profile by my name. I live in New Mexico currently and most of my driving is in Abq proper since that is where all the good food is.

Originally Posted by smardav
I have IS250 F-Sport. Here are my consumption:
1. 80% hwy driving around 55 mph: 35.1 mpg
2. 80% hwy driving around 65 mph: 30.5 mpg
3. 80% hwy driving around 75 mph : 28.3 mpg
4. 50% hwy driving: 25.7 mpg
5. 40% hwy driving: 24.4 mpg
6. 20% hwy driving and nasty stop & go Houston traffic: 21.5 mpg

All were on normal mode. Eco mode is useless I think. And I don't see the need to continuously use Sport mode, so......
Wow awesome gas mileage there, thanks for sharing!

Not to be the devil on your shoulder but try Sport mode. Save Sport+ for your naughty moments but Sport mode isn't evil. Try it out!
Old 03-10-14, 06:03 AM
akshunj
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

IS350... I commute 47 miles each way into Boston and average 20.5 in Eco mode. About 50% of the trip is moving along at 60 to 70 mph and then the other half is stop and go traffic.
Old 03-11-14, 05:20 PM
kidfsport
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTEMost definitely, thanks for adding to the thread.
When you say 23-23.5mpg I am guessing you mean that is what the gauge is telling you. You are probably getting more like 25mpg if you are getting 380 miles per tank.[/QUOTE]

yes this is according to the gauge which i have set to reset at every refill, i guess since i drive so much everyday I monitor the damn thing, no matter how much i try to not pay it any mind i find myself constantly switching between the instant mpg and average smh lol... i think its because I'm coming from a supercharged Jaguar XF so that was an absolute must monitor otherwise the gas mileage would be terrible!!!!
Old 03-11-14, 06:41 PM
scarboy693
Rookie

My car only has 650 miles on it... I'm getting 18 MPG.. but I drive like a bat outta hell so I don't mind haha. not expecting much till the car has 1500-2000 miles
Old 03-11-14, 06:49 PM
343P005
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by WWM
People say this a lot but that's losing sight of the fact that the base fuel economy ratings for cars are quite different. Yes, you could cane an economy box and get 15mpg, which is what I used to average in my C63. But if you cane a C63, you get 7mpg. On the other hand, if you mean that people shouldn't expect to get anywhere near to the car's official economy rating if they're constantly driving it hard, I agree completely. I don't even understand that anyway. I love opening it up as much as anyone, but most of my driving is commuting in traffic where I can't do that. In those situations I try to drive as economically as possible. I've been getting 12-13L/100km per tank the last couple of months. Brutally cold weather and less highway driving, probably only 20% now. Morning commutes are especially bad due to the lower temperatures in the morning and longer time between trips. I've been getting 15-16L/100km on my morning commutes This is driving 99.9% normal mode.
I'm in Toronto and have also been getting 15-16 L/100km. I thought it was hat me as I was expecting much better fuel economy vs what I am getting.
Old 03-11-14, 07:28 PM
WWM
Rookie

Originally Posted by 343P005
I'm in Toronto and have also been getting 15-16 L/100km. I thought it was hat me as I was expecting much better fuel economy vs what I am getting.
After the relatively balmy weather the past couple of days I've been getting 12-13L/100km on my commutes, despite stomping it quite a bit. Got 13L/100km on my evening commute tonight in sport+, revving it high and downshifting during breaking. Amazing how much more fuel economy you get going from -10 to +5C.
Old 03-16-14, 10:01 PM
azmojo
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

I haven't been keeping that good of data in the past 6 months, but in my IS350 F-Sport I am done with ECO mode as I see no benefit to it and the throttle response is unbearable. I drive in normal mode 90%+ of the time with a few bursts of S+ and I seem to get 22.0-23.0mpg easily, per the gauge. I never saw anything over 23mpg with ECO mode. I haven't tried driving around in S+ all of the time, I will give that a try soon.
Old 03-16-14, 10:48 PM
thunderii
Driver School Candidate

I've driven my 250 F sport for about 1230mile now and it says my mpg on ECO mode is 22.3miles tank after tank filled, after seeing 350's getting better gas then my 250 I just wonder how... my daily driving is 80% off freeway... is this why?
Old 03-17-14, 12:08 AM
jennypenny
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I am getting 10km/l for pure city driving in Eco mode
In Sport mode: 8km/l, my driving style definitely changes when its in Sport mode. haha
in normal mode: 9.2 km/l for pure city driving.

i feel that eco mode helps as it limits air conditioning speed and also, it will induce upshifts as soon as possible.
Old 03-17-14, 01:30 PM
RA040224
Driver

I drove about 2500km in Eco mode and got 7,3l/100km (32.2mpg) (sept/oct/nov), in dec/jan/feb i've driven about 1000km in Normal and have 7.6l/100km (30.9mpg), so not much of a difference. A mix of city and highway (30/70).

I don't think I'll ever put it in Eco again

Quick Reply: Gas Mileage - Different Modes