IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Rattle / High Pitch Noise Between 5.5k and 6.5k rpms?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-14, 10:59 AM
TheShaddix
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The whine is a different story and is not an issue. That's just by design. I think it's coming from the transmission. The high pitched noise is what I had too, like something is loose inside of the engine bay. The reason I mentioned the intake is because I used to have this noise, but now I don't have it. So I can't help but assume it has something to do with the stock intake.
Old 02-28-14, 11:28 AM
TheShaddix
Pole Position

Is anyone experiencing this issue with an aftermarket intake? Or are all these issues on factory intake? I'll try to listen for it with my intake and confirm for sure that it's gone. I'll update if I'm mistaken. However, I used to have this noise all the time and it bothered me to say the least. It's more of a buzzing sound from 5.5-7k than a rattle though. I thought it was something loose on the other side of the firewall, but once the intake was swapped out I just stopped hearing it. That was with a takeda, and now with the Joe z pipe which still uses the stock airbox, just a smoother pipe w/o sound amplifier. The car is silent now, even at wot, so if the noise were still there, it would be very apparent. I honestly don't know what else could be the cause because the sound amp pipe was added for the first time onto this car while everything else remained the same over the years. And since that extra pipe (aka sound maker) sits so close to the throttle body, you could just be hearing the normal engine noise, valves, anything that is normal which would otherwise be muffled with a closed off factory air intake. Just like you get rattles and high pitched noises with a short ram intake at high RPM. Would be cool to see someone actually trying a different intake instead of double guessing this issue in 3 different threads...
Old 02-28-14, 11:57 AM
hades281
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TheShaddix - Let us know what you find. I agree with you, but I don't have an aftermarket intake that I can try out. (I wasn't originally in the market for one.) The only thing I would be able to do is remove the noisemaker and plug the hole in the intake with something.

I think either way, Lexus should resolve the issue - I don't think the cars are supposed to sound like this. Enough people appear to be affected by it... and if we can figure out what exactly the cause is, it should make for painless, effective repairs for all of us.
Old 02-28-14, 12:47 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All stock, and yes, buzzing is a good way to describe the noise / rattle too...
Old 02-28-14, 12:49 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Noise is new and wasn't previously present, also not driving any differently...

Last edited by dbs600; 02-28-14 at 01:05 PM.
Old 02-28-14, 12:53 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Perhaps the mods could merge the threads? It appears there are three threads on the same or similar subject. It would make following a resolution much easier.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...6-5k-rpms.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-4500-rpm.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...0-5000rpm.html
Old 02-28-14, 01:06 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JDR76
Perhaps the mods could merge the threads? It appears there are three threads on the same or similar subject. It would make following a resolution much easier.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...6-5k-rpms.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-4500-rpm.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...0-5000rpm.html
I'd second this! Same goes for the slow radio / navigation system!

Thanks!
Old 03-01-14, 10:29 AM
hades281
Driver

All - I have verified that the noise is NOT caused by the "noisemaker." I removed the noisemaker, and installed a rubber plug into the hose to eliminate it from the system. The noise is still present.
Attached Thumbnails Rattle / High Pitch Noise Between 5.5k and 6.5k rpms?-no-noisemaker.png  
Old 03-01-14, 10:40 AM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Do we all agree it sounds like it's coming from the passenger side of the car?

Also sounds like it's coming from high up, not low down, to me...
Old 03-01-14, 01:31 PM
TheShaddix
Pole Position

I tried to listen to the same noise, but I couldn't hear it. That's without the stock intake. No one knows what causes it, but plugging the hole and saying it's not the intake isn't convincing me yet when I don't have that noise anymore with an aftermarket intake. I'm not saying you're wrong, just don't eliminate/confirm anything till you know for certain. The sound comes from the passenger side behind/under the glove compartment.
Old 03-01-14, 01:39 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TheShaddix
I tried to listen to the same noise, but I couldn't hear it. That's without the stock intake. No one knows what causes it, but plugging the hole and saying it's not the intake isn't convincing me yet when I don't have that noise anymore with an aftermarket intake. I'm not saying you're wrong, just don't eliminate/confirm anything till you know for certain. The sound comes from the passenger side behind/under the glove compartment.
Such that the noise wasn't always present, it's not normal.

Maybe someone experiencing same has a Go Pro and can upload a video, so we can be on the same page.

Also, is everyone being accurate on when they're experiencing same? Seems its effecting us at different rpm ranges.

Otherwise, pretty neat the three threads are now merged; thanks moderators!

Last edited by dbs600; 03-01-14 at 01:45 PM.
Old 03-01-14, 08:43 PM
hades281
Driver

TheShaddix - Correct, I can't vouch for the rest of the intake.... only that the noisemaker unit specifically doesn't seem to be causing it.
Old 03-01-14, 09:04 PM
TheShaddix
Pole Position

I'm getting a greddy intake and I was thinking I could just let you guys use my Joe Z intake pipe and see if that solves the issue. It takes about 15 minutes to install. This way we'll know if it's the intake for sure. I do realize that not everyone wants to replace their intake, so I think If i provide one for testing purposes, we can resolve this issue, or just keep investigating.
Old 03-11-14, 08:02 PM
hades281
Driver

bump!

Onepointon: Any discoveries on your car? Does Lexus know whats making the sound?
Old 04-07-14, 07:41 AM
hades281
Driver

TTT - Has anyone looked into this further with the dealership? I have an appointment for the 5k inspection, and I will mention it to them. Just wondering if anyone has figured this out -- if so, I would mention it to the service advisor.

Quick Reply: Rattle / High Pitch Noise Between 5.5k and 6.5k rpms?