IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Consumer Reports hates the new IS

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-14, 08:15 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think Lexus biggest mistake with the 3IS is lack of power. The IS250 F-Sport should be 250hp and the IS350 F-Sport should be 350hp. It's just plain dumb to give something a label like F-Sport and the power not be greater than its base models. Just plain dumb.

As for Consumer Reports, I like their toughness in reviewing cars but they are not the end-all-do all final Zen Master smartest of the world.
They have an agenda. They are people with an opinion.
Old 02-27-14, 08:24 AM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
I think Lexus biggest mistake with the 3IS is lack of power. The IS250 F-Sport should be 250hp and the IS350 F-Sport should be 350hp. It's just plain dumb to give something a label like F-Sport and the power not be greater than its base models. Just plain dumb.

As for Consumer Reports, I like their toughness in reviewing cars but they are not the end-all-do all final Zen Master smartest of the world.
They have an agenda. They are people with an opinion.
Keeping the same 10years old engines was pretty dumb.IMO They could really own this segment if they wouldn;t try to milk it
Old 02-27-14, 08:28 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by keyframe13
Keeping the same 10years old engines was pretty dumb.IMO They could really own this segment if they wouldn;t try to milk it
Chevy has been using the pushrod engine in Vettes for a gazillion years. They've updated and modernized it but it's still pushrod internals. Works fine and there are no complaints. Why....because it puts down the power and it's bulletproof.
I don't care that Lexus is using the same engine this long. I care that we have the slowest cars with sport designations in the market.
Old 02-27-14, 08:29 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Everybody does it. BMW has M Sport...no additional power...MB has the AMG styling packages...no additional power...Audi has the S line styling packages...no additional power.

Its just a sports package, not another model. More power would come from an IS-F.

The car in general needs more power, but not really for the F Sport specifically.
Old 02-27-14, 08:38 AM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Chevy has been using the pushrod engine in Vettes for a gazillion years. They've updated and modernized it but it's still pushrod internals. Works fine and there are no complaints. Why....because it puts down the power and it's bulletproof.
I don't care that Lexus is using the same engine this long. I care that we have the slowest cars with sport designations in the market.
I have higher expectation from Lexus(that's why i never consider american cars) and they don;t compete with Chevy, If the competition came with super efficient engines(germans) and much faster you don;t keep the same engine and expect to play with them. That's why IS250 cannot compete and is falling short.
Old 02-27-14, 08:56 AM
Vairox
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a trim level...different grille, crappier seats, but you get to say you have an F-sport for whatever that's worth.
Old 02-27-14, 09:04 AM
Dark9t316
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't put too much weight on what CR says about the IS, the magazine is tailored to mommies and the late adopters (laggards) of this world. CR readers typically are willing to wait for otherr's opinions before they can form their own. I don't think I've ever trusted CR opinion, it is the opinion of maybe 1-2 people? I've trusted amazon rating more than CR's.
Old 02-27-14, 10:32 AM
DizzyEdge
Driver School Candidate

Someone at CR has a stick up their butt.
They tried hard to hide their bias in the article, but it didn't work.
Old 02-27-14, 11:40 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I blame it on them test driving the IS250, the slowest model out there with out realizing there is a much quicker model with even an F-Sport option. There was an article i read a few days ago (i wish i can find it) of a person who wrote a whole full page rant about spending $40k on an 2012 IS250 and being super disappointed. Not realizing that the IS came in a 350 and F version... Needless to say the idiot got flamed hard

http://niketalk.com/t/519513/most-bo...ek-lexus-is250
Old 02-27-14, 11:56 AM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NYKnick101
I blame it on them test driving the IS250, the slowest model out there with out realizing there is a much quicker model with even an F-Sport option. There was an article i read a few days ago (i wish i can find it) of a person who wrote a whole full page rant about spending $40k on an 2012 IS250 and being super disappointed. Not realizing that the IS came in a 350 and F version... Needless to say the idiot got flamed hard

http://niketalk.com/t/519513/most-bo...ek-lexus-is250
you know the guy is a troll when he claim he have the car and it's biggest complain is that it doesn't come in manual. DId he not know that when he "bought it"?!
Old 02-27-14, 12:48 PM
UncleSpud
Pole Position

In years past, CR rated the G35/37 as a more desirable than the 3-series cars. Now that BMW has fielded somewhat of a clunker with the F30, Bimmers are at the top of the list. Go figure.

As for their reviews, in '06 CR recommended the STI as a good car with decent ride quality. As a former '06 STI owner, I can safely tell you that Conestoga wagons had better ride quality. The STI hammered the hell out of my spine and every passenger that rode in it.

Engine-wise,I would agree that the underpowered IS 250 disappoints, but I really wouldn't take too much stock in what the Consumer Union says. They've screwed up before.
Old 02-27-14, 02:38 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Smart people and companies look at business from a 5 year perspective. Immediate gratification oriented consumers look at it from a "I want it now and I want it for free" perspective. Why would Lexus introduce a new model with a new suspension, new tranny, new gauge, new seats, add 3 inches to the car -- and run this risk of throwing in a new engine? Why would they assume that risk when the power plant is still one of the best available even if dated? Why? Their reputation -- their one key big competitive differentiator is their reliability.

I'm starting to see a lot of F-sports here in LA. All of them are 250's. The market talks -- BS walks. The car is selling.

Finally, are you all familiar with Wa? Key part of Japanese culture. Means harmony. The IS as a whole is harmonious in all of it's parts and capabilities.
Old 02-27-14, 03:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by Glashub
Why would Lexus introduce a new model with a new suspension, new tranny, new gauge, new seats, add 3 inches to the car -- and run this risk of throwing in a new engine?.
Well...every other carmaker does LOL.

I think the carryover power plants are a legitimate gripe, especially for the 250. Not everybody can buy a new car every couple years. For those investing in a new IS now, the fact that new engined are 1-2 years away isn't much comfort.
Old 02-27-14, 04:35 PM
hoosier1
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
yeah, this time around, this report from CR did the opposite for me :

Instead of devaluing the IS in my eyes, CR really lost credibility with me. Why?

Simple, the very act of test driving both cars : Lexus 3IS and BMW F30 3 series, will tell you the REALITY of the Lexus superior handling over the BMW, a reality that the latest CR report seems to ignore.
I've owned three BMWs. The Lexus IS gets better the longer it is driven. CR has really lost all creditability. Having subscribed to the rag for decades, several car purchases were made years ago based on their reviews. Then the next year, they would drop the car from their "recommended" list. Interestingly, following the first IS review, I cancelled my subscription with them.

CR, along with most print media, happens to be in a death spiral. Better information is available for free on-line. Good examples include Club Lexus and Bimmerfest.
Old 02-27-14, 04:40 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Well...every other carmaker does LOL.

I think the carryover power plants are a legitimate gripe, especially for the 250. Not everybody can buy a new car every couple years. For those investing in a new IS now, the fact that new engined are 1-2 years away isn't much comfort.
Answer me this -- Why would Lexus introduce a new model with a new suspension, new tranny, new gauge, new seats, add 3 inches to the car -- and run this risk of throwing in a new engine? Why would they assume that risk when the power plant is still one of the best available even if dated? Why? Their reputation -- their one key big competitive differentiator is their reliability.

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports hates the new IS