IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Can you help me solve a mystery?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-14, 08:55 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Can you help me solve a mystery?

Why is it that no matter how far away I park my car from others, no matter how many empty parking spaces there are surrounding my car; I always find some beater parked right next to it and sometimes really close to it? Usually it's scary old SUV. I've owned several new cars in the past few years and each one attracts old cars like bees to honey.

Are people subconsciously attracted to shiny objects? Is it a herding instinct? I asked a woman once why she parked her van so close to my car that I couldn't open the door why she did that -- in an out of the way parking place when there were so many other empty spaces nearer to the bank -- and she went off on me about America being a free country and she could park anywhere she wants and she could give a F$#k about my new car.

I know some of you feel the same frustrations and try to park far away too. What do you think?
Old 02-23-14, 09:10 AM
VGer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to know why there are no rock haulers on the road when I drive my old SUV, but the minute I take out the IS, they're everywhere!
Old 02-23-14, 09:14 AM
Randre19
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Simple answer....people are a**holes
Old 02-23-14, 09:16 AM
larry13
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Randre19
Simple answer....people are a**holes
lol yeah they are
Old 02-23-14, 09:26 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

It's like to goes beyond most people being *******s -- which they are. It like it's cosmic. Yesterday I park in a part of the lot -- well away from stores and there are at least 10 empty spots around my car. Boom! I come out and there a 1978 Cadillac **** shaker wedged up next to mine. Hard to believe even an ******* would go to great lengths (like walking extra far) to inflict their *******ness on me.
Old 02-23-14, 10:49 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

I'm in the same boat as you. No matter where I park, I always end up next to big SUVs next to me both sides. My OCD kicks in with checking for door dents once I see this. Even if I park far away there's always someone.
Old 02-23-14, 11:02 AM
skrules
Rookie

Lol. My thoughts exactly. Ever since I got my IS, I have been parking far away from other cars. So far, people have left it alone. But it got rear ended two weeks ago and I was like "Oh man, why me?" Now I am driving around in a rental car, while my car is getting patched up in the shop. The universe has a way of saying "**** you" to us all, no matter how careful we are. lol.
Old 02-23-14, 12:31 PM
Ang89
Driver School Candidate

I haven't taken my car out for shopping yet--I work in SF where most parking spots are parallel, and I try to get the really long spots. I swear, I might sound like a diva or someone who feels entitled, but I am so considerate of other people's property, that since most aren't, I'm parking horizontally when I got shopping from now on and will take up several spots, just to ensure that no one bangs into my car! You're probably thinking that's counterproductive... -_-
Old 02-23-14, 12:57 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Trying to find long spots -- I do that too. Good luck in SF. I lived there many years. I don't know how you're going to use that car around the city if you have ocd around it. Yesterday while park in a way that left a long spot behind I watched from the restaurant as a dingbat tried to drive nose 2st into the spot and then park. That never works. She came so close to hit my rear bumper I freaked. She went back and forth 2 times trying to park and then gave up. if she'd just pulled parallel to my car and backed -- she would've been good. My wife tells me what I resist persists.

Last edited by Glashub; 02-23-14 at 01:46 PM.
Old 02-23-14, 01:06 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

For me still a frustratingly unsolved mystery...
Old 02-23-14, 01:40 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

same boat here. first day I went to the gym after I got my IS. I parked it on farthest place of the parking lot you can park it. it was empty when I parked. coming back to my car a HUGE pickup truck decided to cram in right next to me. its like go figure
Old 02-23-14, 01:43 PM
hoosier1
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While parking in the "unsociable zone" of all parking lots, an occasional "old beater" will park next to me. The conclusion is that many of these car owners either seek out opportunities for exercise or have a great deal of pride in their cars. A co-worker that owns an old Chevy SUV routinely parks out with the luxury cars. One day, as he was admiring the IS, the guy stated that years ago he owned an auto detail shop and could clean up cars better than me. He then proceeded to rub his finger across the bumper of my car. Obviously, he was never a good detail man.

Interestingly, the first time I parked my Audi in a normal car space, someone opened their door into the side of my car. At least the dent repair man was able to fix the damage.

My wife feels that parking out in a lot results in attracting unnecessary attention to your car. As the war between have and have nots escalates, many people are likely just parking next to us out of spite which is the most likely reason.
Old 02-23-14, 01:52 PM
TheShaddix
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Same story here. I try to park next to curbs (if there are any) so I know for a fact no one will be at least on one side of my car! And I try to park as close as I can to it and give more room for people, just in case. But this only solves the problem 50%. And I would advise against taking up multiple spots or even parking on the line. Some people won't be so understanding and you'll find yourself with more problems than an old van parked next to you. One will walk by and say "what a d*ck", another will just scratch your car. The key here is still to remain respectful and civil, even if people around you are a-holes. Stooping down to their level makes you no better. Another solution is to try and park next to nicer cars and see how they park. Usually people who care about their cars (and others') will try to park straight and even to be considerate. I try to look for those kind of spaces.

Last edited by TheShaddix; 02-23-14 at 01:58 PM.
Old 02-23-14, 02:04 PM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

+1 on what TheShaddix just said.

Perhaps this will help solve the mystery.

Old 02-23-14, 02:16 PM
VGer
Rookie

Originally Posted by TheShaddix
Same story here. I try to park next to curbs (if there are any) so I know for a fact no one will be at least on one side of my car! And I try to park as close as I can to it and give more room for people, just in case. But this only solves the problem 50%... Another solution is to try and park next to nicer cars and see how they park. Usually people who care about their cars (and others') will try to park straight and even to be considerate. I try to look for those kind of spaces.
The other day I literally encountered the perfect spot... On one side of me a curb as in your example... On the other side, why what do we have here... A 2014 IS 250... I parked my IS between the two, and had an enjoyable lunch knowing my car was safe...

As to those who take multiple spots... That tends to bring out the people who will intentionally damage your car, rather than accidentally...

Quick Reply: Can you help me solve a mystery?