IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Remote start for navi vehicles !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-14, 08:22 AM
jspridge
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just spoke with my dealer's Master Tech about this. He says that the workaround that enables this is not authorized by Lexus at all, and that Lexus is actively contacting dealers who perform this install and asking them to bring the cars back in and remove the parts. Apparently the workaround makes your Safety Connect inoperable.
Old 02-27-14, 08:39 AM
Vairox
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by specONE
I think its dumb that the vehicle shuts off if you remote start it and unlock the car.
Aftermarket solutions and other factory ones do not work in this same fashion.
Wonder why they made it where the vehicle turns off.
Seems like an afterthought addon if there is a conflict of the vehicle CAN signal not staying running when unlocking.
Lexus said it was for safety so someone couldn't jump in and steal your car. Obviously a great idea in say, California where you're about as likely to get car jacked as you are catching the flu but for most places it's a serious inconvenience. It seems it could be programmed to automatically shut the vehicle off if the FOB is over 100 feet away or something.
Old 02-27-14, 09:54 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by jspridge
Just spoke with my dealer's Master Tech about this. He says that the workaround that enables this is not authorized by Lexus at all, and that Lexus is actively contacting dealers who perform this install and asking them to bring the cars back in and remove the parts. Apparently the workaround makes your Safety Connect inoperable.
Pretty sure i already posted this on the first page... no one listens to me apparently.

Originally Posted by RTIS250
Lexus DOES NOT make a remote start for Navigation equipped 2014 IS250/350 models. Period.

Can you install it, and make it work? Sure.. but it will cause communication issues with the safety connect and other systems.

Dealers figured out how to get it to register and work, and Lexus is shutting them down, telling them to NOT advertise RES for nav-equipped IS's.

Buy at your own risk...

And no, the techstream software and cable you get off Amazon will NOT program this to your car. That kit is what is considered "Techstream Lite", which will not do reprogramming.
Old 02-28-14, 06:20 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Vairox
Lexus said it was for safety so someone couldn't jump in and steal your car. Obviously a great idea in say, California where you're about as likely to get car jacked as you are catching the flu but for most places it's a serious inconvenience. It seems it could be programmed to automatically shut the vehicle off if the FOB is over 100 feet away or something.
They could have programmed it to shut it off if the person opening the door doesn't have the key.
Old 03-01-14, 07:28 AM
specONE
Racer

Received 487 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by SonyHome
They could have programmed it to shut it off if the person opening the door doesn't have the key.
Exactly this. That's how the aftermarket remote starts work. That's the best way to go. Just have to wait for them
Old 03-01-14, 01:01 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Exactly this. That's how the aftermarket remote starts work. That's the best way to go. Just have to wait for them
Talked to a guy that installs aftermarket RES (Viper) and he said Lexus & Toyotas will be like this even with aftermarket RES. He also couldn't tell me if Viper SmartStart was compatible with 3IS and said I would have to come in for him to test for compatibility.
Old 03-04-14, 12:53 PM
FforLife
Rookie

Originally Posted by Stickyiqqy
Hi,

Was browsing Sewell website and they just came out with remote start for navi users.

Heres the link:

http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...2014/6858.html

Cheers
Well, I read this last week and ordered it the same day. It is here now in my hand......Guess I have to return it back to Sewell. Mine is 350AWD F-Sport.
Old 03-04-14, 01:29 PM
specONE
Racer

Talked to a guy that installs aftermarket RES (Viper) and he said Lexus & Toyotas will be like this even with aftermarket RES. He also couldn't tell me if Viper SmartStart was compatible with 3IS and said I would have to come in for him to test for compatibility.
Talked to my friend who is technical support over at Directed Electronics, the parent company of Viper and I guess this statement is somewhat true if you are going to use a interface module through CANbus signal to remote start the car. Their module will basically emulate the same as the factory Remote Start which is why this would be the case. So there is no "key takeover" procedure just like the factory system.

He did say that you could get it to do a "keytake over" if you do it the old school way when Push to Start vehicles first came out by hiding one of the proximity key in the car in a box. (I.e. 1101T)
http://www.xpresskit.com/product.aspx?productid=0
This will be what I will probably look into if I end up adding remote start to my car. I am an installer myself so I will be doing some more research on this before i tackle the install.
Old 03-04-14, 02:20 PM
Stickyiqqy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to wait until Viper figures out a way to set up the remote start without leaving a factory key in the car somewhere. They should be getting close now to figuring out a way.
Old 03-04-14, 02:52 PM
specONE
Racer

Originally Posted by Stickyiqqy
I'm going to wait until Viper figures out a way to set up the remote start without leaving a factory key in the car somewhere. They should be getting close now to figuring out a way.
They will but it will shut off just the same as the factory remote start when you open the door to the car.
Like I said, they are emulating as the factory Remote Start. They cannot do it the other way because the body ecus in the car are looking for the key transmitter for authentication to start the other way. This is how it is currently with all the other Lexus out in the market, i.e. 2014 GS350 if you look at the installation manual and what I confirmed talking over with my friend at Directed Electronics, so this will probably be the same case when they look over the 2014 ISx50. In fact I am thinking that their current interface module and firmware for the GS may work for our IS. I starting going through the install manual for the GS and seeing if the connector and wires are there in same location for our IS but just haven't had time to finish looking for everything.
Old 03-05-14, 05:54 PM
FforLife
Rookie

For the remote starter system specific to the 2014 IS, with navigation the installation is as simple as the alternative remote start offered for the 2014 IS without navigation. The only change in installation is during the Tech Stream process ensuring the customized settings are switched on for the remote starting.

Should your local dealer not be able to understand or be willing to attempt the installation then we're afraid to state you'll be required to return the part to us for a refund.

Sewell Parts Team

Dallas, TX 75209

sewellparts.com

lexusparts@sewell.com

Find us on Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Overstock and Closeouts

Sewell.com

-----Original Message-----
To: SewellParts.com; SewellParts.com
Subject: Re: SewellParts.com - Confirmation of Order #xxxxxx

Hi, I ordered the starter for my 2014 IS 350AWD FSport w Navi. I just found out it can not be use on this vehicle as the Navi will go blank.

What do you know about this. Do I have to return the starter or is there a solution for this. Please help!!!
Old 03-05-14, 06:02 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FforLife
For the remote starter system specific to the 2014 IS, with navigation the installation is as simple as the alternative remote start offered for the 2014 IS without navigation. The only change in installation is during the Tech Stream process ensuring the customized settings are switched on for the remote starting.

Should your local dealer not be able to understand or be willing to attempt the installation then we're afraid to state you'll be required to return the part to us for a refund.

Sewell Parts Team

Dallas, TX 75209

sewellparts.com

lexusparts@sewell.com

Find us on Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Overstock and Closeouts

Sewell.com

-----Original Message-----
To: SewellParts.com; SewellParts.com
Subject: Re: SewellParts.com - Confirmation of Order #xxxxxx

Hi, I ordered the starter for my 2014 IS 350AWD FSport w Navi. I just found out it can not be use on this vehicle as the Navi will go blank.

What do you know about this. Do I have to return the starter or is there a solution for this. Please help!!!

Well this sounds so simple so what is the deal with Lexus not wanting dealers to do this. Does it break something by doing this? Safety Connect?
Old 03-05-14, 08:59 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Well this sounds so simple so what is the deal with Lexus not wanting dealers to do this. Does it break something by doing this? Safety Connect?
It causes communication issues with other systems on the network.. such as Safety Connect.
Old 03-05-14, 09:09 PM
specONE
Racer

haha this thread is getting hilarious.

master lexus tech/moderator is stating exactly why its not recommended to install factory remstart and people keep still asking the same question.

Stop asking the same questions
Old 03-05-14, 10:40 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

haha this thread is getting hilarious.

master lexus tech/moderator is stating exactly why its not recommended to install factory remstart and people keep still asking the same question.

Stop asking the same questions
LOL, i was seriously beginning to think no one could see my posts.

Quick Reply: Remote start for navi vehicles !!!!