IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Am I the only one annoyed by the size of NAV screen?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-14, 07:49 PM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Am I the only one annoyed by the size of NAV screen?

Hi all.

I'm considering ordering an IS350 F-Sport RWD in the next few months and I can't help but compare everything to my wife's 2013 BMW 335i Xdrive. I guess this is a legitimate comparison since both are in the same category.

However whenever I look at the interior pictures one thing pops up : the size of the NAV screen. Why on earth did they leave around 1 inch of unused space to the left and right of the screen? It annoys me because everything in the interior looks more upscale than the 335, but this thing looks so cheap
It's funny because I never read a single post about it bothering someone and it's never on the 2015 wishlist threads, so I'm worried there might be something wrong with me? The screen on the BMW is HUGE compared to the 3IS...

Last edited by Aeromotive; 02-17-14 at 08:00 PM.
Old 02-17-14, 07:52 PM
LexFather

Having a GS and having driven the LS and Tesla anything not those cars seems to have a tiny screen lol. The IS I hope gets a bigger screen and the RX.. Clearly the space is there.
Old 02-17-14, 07:56 PM
amoney805
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is on the puny side and I have said to myself "dam, I wish it was bigger" but it's not a deal breaker by any means.
Old 02-17-14, 08:02 PM
McBrain
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never crossed my mind. Seems plenty big enough to do the job. Is it the size of the screen that bothers you or the width of the blank areas? In any case, can't imagine how a car enthusiast would be on the fence over something like this.
Old 02-17-14, 08:17 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,625 Likes on 1,035 Posts

I've noticed in mine, if the screen were stretched to the black area on the left, that portion would be blocked from my view by the instrument cluster hood and start/stop button, so it would be useless anyway. If it were stretched to include the black area on the right, it would look even more asymmetrical than it does now (it's biased slightly right).

While I wouldn't mind if the screen were larger, I don't think the current dash layout would accommodate it very well. I find the current size to be acceptable.
Old 02-17-14, 08:20 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

It's big enough for Navigation but in split screen I do wish it was much bigger. The screen size is actually the same as 2IS.
Even if they made it bigger part of it would not be visible from drivers view without leaning to right.
Old 02-17-14, 08:29 PM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

Originally Posted by McBrain
Is it the size of the screen that bothers you or the width of the blank areas?
Both!

Originally Posted by McBrain
In any case, can't imagine how a car enthusiast would be on the fence over something like this.
Where did I say I was on the fence?
Old 02-17-14, 09:36 PM
cFoo
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's any bigger you won't use the analog clock.
Old 02-17-14, 09:37 PM
YoMushi
Driver School Candidate

2014 Corolla infotainment system is better than our IS......
Old 02-18-14, 05:09 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

space is there but if the screen got bigger the start button actually blocks off part of the left side. You would have to move your head to the side to see it
Old 02-18-14, 06:39 AM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

Well since I don't own the car I didn't know you would have to tilt your head to the right to get a full view of the screen if it used all the available space. Thanks for pointing this out! Still not sure this is a good excuse for Lexus though...

Originally Posted by cFoo
If it's any bigger you won't use the analog clock.
Why not?
Old 02-18-14, 07:03 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

if you had to move your head to see the full screen it wouldnt be that big of a deal, since you can change the screen layout to how you want it. You can then put non important info on the left side that would be partially blocked off. It wouldnt bother me because I put audio on left, and nav on right

Right now the left edge of the screen lines up with the start button on the side
Old 02-18-14, 07:54 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had bigger screens and it does seem odd at first -- then I noticed I can grab all of the info I want with one action i.e. one flick of the eye while driving. Whereas with bigger screens it would take two actions 1 to flick eyes and another to scan and that resulted in the eyes being off the road and on the screen that much longer. In addition there is the cost factor. I know, I know, people are going to jump on that as fallacious but as a business owner I know the cost of everything down to the nano-penny due to algorithms that can apply the principles of quantum physics to costs. And in this economy -- one needs to do all one can to extract enough margin to stay in business.

Business Insider issued its 100 most valuable brands. The only luxury car manufacturers to make the top of the list are BMW and MB. Porsche is way down the list. Lexus is not on the list. MB and BMW have so much cash and value it's amazing and that gives them room for error that Lexus doesn't have.

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-1...e-world-2014-2
Old 02-18-14, 01:13 PM
mangoman75
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Glashub
I have had bigger screens and it does seem odd at first -- then I noticed I can grab all of the info I want with one action i.e. one flick of the eye while driving. Whereas with bigger screens it would take two actions 1 to flick eyes and another to scan and that resulted in the eyes being off the road and on the screen that much longer. In addition there is the cost factor. I know, I know, people are going to jump on that as fallacious but as a business owner I know the cost of everything down to the nano-penny due to algorithms that can apply the principles of quantum physics to costs. And in this economy -- one needs to do all one can to extract enough margin to stay in business.

Business Insider issued its 100 most valuable brands. The only luxury car manufacturers to make the top of the list are BMW and MB. Porsche is way down the list. Lexus is not on the list. MB and BMW have so much cash and value it's amazing and that gives them room for error that Lexus doesn't have.

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-1...e-world-2014-2
I think lexus would belong to toyota in that list which sits at #11
Old 02-18-14, 01:47 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Lexus has always been listed as a separate brand. It is a separate brand. It has it's own separate value. Here it's listed as #73 from last year, http://www.forbes.com/powerful-brands/list/, still far behind BMW and MB. Toyota is listed as #14.

Quick Reply: Am I the only one annoyed by the size of NAV screen?