IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Does the 3IS rev-match? [6 speed]

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-14, 03:24 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by redcupr
So, is this finally settled? Both 8 speed and 6 speed, AWD and RWD blip the throttle on manual downshifts thus rev-matching.

I have the AWD 350 F-Sport with the 6-speed. It, without any doubt, rev-matches on manual downshifts.
But it will only rev match above certain RPM correct?
Old 02-18-14, 03:51 PM
braddy
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
But it will only rev match above certain RPM correct?
Correct. All 350 Fsport AWD or RWD do rev match, not the 250 fsport. And yes it only occurs that high rpm or aggressive driving. Another thing, the 350 AWD 6speed do hold the gear when hard cornering. So, the only difference between 8speed and 6speed 350 fsport is the sterring gear being variable in S+ mode. I know that the 8speed is really a better trans than the 6speed. Comming off the ISF + AI. But i think that in real-life driving, theres almost no difference. Just looking at the 0-60mph and 1/4 mile time, theres just a 0.1sec. All that bla-bla-bla about the 8speed thing, is a waste of time IMO.
Old 02-18-14, 03:54 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by braddy
Correct. All 350 Fsport AWD or RWD do rev match, not the 250 fsport.
I can't comment on the 250, but for the 350, there is no difference between the F Sport and non F Sport when it comes to the transmissions. They are the same.
Old 02-18-14, 07:36 PM
braddy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JDR76
I can't comment on the 250, but for the 350, there is no difference between the F Sport and non F Sport when it comes to the transmissions. They are the same.
I agree that they share the same trans. The difference is in the ecu, the non fsport dont have the S+ mode which change the programation of the ecu trans, quicker geaf change and rev matching.
Old 02-18-14, 08:00 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by braddy
I agree that they share the same trans. The difference is in the ecu, the non fsport dont have the S+ mode which change the programation of the ecu trans, quicker geaf change and rev matching.
Disagree. All Sport + does is tighten up the AVS and VGRS if equipped. It does nothing to the transmission. Sport mode changes the transmission programming for rev matching and quicker shifts. Non F Sports have the same Sport mode as F Sports.

F Sport is an appearance and handling package, not a powertrain/performance package.
Old 02-18-14, 08:18 PM
Lost808
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^
Not a comment to yours, just in general. No more dyslexia for me!

From Lexus: Sport S mode alters the powertrain for faster gear changes and more dynamic throttle-mapping.

Sport S+ mode goes a step further by tightening the suspension and increasing the steering response in VGRS–equipped models. In both modes, the transmission shift points are automatically altered coming into and out of corners for sharper acceleration.
Old 02-19-14, 04:00 AM
braddy
Driver School Candidate

In both modes, the transmission shift points are automatically altered coming into and out of corners for sharper acceleration.

Voilà!
Old 02-19-14, 07:24 AM
Lost808
Pole Position

I believe all that means is the current gear is held while entering/exiting a corner, instead up up-shifting or down shifting causing disruption to the speed in the corner.
Old 02-19-14, 08:02 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Came across this article from Toyota.ca regarding the 6-speed auto in RAV4 - it does rev matching.

I will be surprised the 6-speed in 3IS won't rev-match. Maybe a case of poor Toyota/Lexus marketing.

"Multi-Mode Transmission
The 2014 RAV4 features a 6-speed automatic transmission with sequential shift that lets you choose the exhilaration and control of a manual shift, or the convenience of an automatic. First and second gears are optimized for around-town performance. On the highway, fifth and sixth gears are overdrives, letting you cruise with reduced engine revs for better fuel economy, less noise, and lower wear.

Three Drive Modes
RAV4's advanced Drive Mode Select lets you easily choose between Normal, ECO and Sport modes. ECO mode helps save at the pumps by enhancing fuel efficiency and promoting more efficient driving. Sport mode ups the fun factor by sharpening shift timing along with throttle and steering response so that RAV4 responds more crisply to your driving inputs. Rev matching further enhances the driving experience."

http://www.toyota.ca/toyota/en/vehic...ts/performance
Old 03-03-14, 03:47 PM
ultran00b8
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is my video showing the sound generator and the rev-matched downshifting. The car is programmed to do them but they are not aggressive at all. Apply a little gas when downshifting and it'll sound like the video.

Last edited by ultran00b8; 03-03-14 at 03:51 PM.
Old 06-23-14, 01:21 AM
cdo221
Driver School Candidate

I'm sorry to revive this older thread but there's not a lot of information on the 250 compared to the 350. Is it really confirmed that the 250, all versions, does NOT rev match?

I was under the impression that the 6 speed AT in the 250 RWD/AWD and the 350 AWD are the same. The 350 RWD is the odd one out, with the 8 speed instead. If the tranmissions are the same and the 350AWD rev matches, shouldn't the 250 rev match as well?

I test drove the IS 350 8 speed and while it was a great drive, Im trying to decide if I want to go back and test drive the 250. But if it's confirmed to not rev match, then perhaps I shouldn't spend the time to test the 250
Old 01-19-15, 11:44 AM
Leviathan
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone know if the 2015 IS 350 F Sport RWD rev-matches? I did a quick search for the 2014 IS brochure vs the 2015 IS brochure.

2014 Brochure:
EIGHT-SPEED SPORT DIRECT-SHIFT TRANSMISSION
"This is invigoration on demand. The eight-speed automatic transmission included in the IS 350 and IS 350 F SPORT rear-wheel drive models delivers seamless, lightning-fast gear changes and, when using the standard paddle shifters, features downshift rev-matching to help provide more precise shifting and quicker response"

I did notice the omission of rev-matching from the 2015 brochure. Hoping this is a marketing oversight.

Tried to test yesterday and noticed it still lurched instead of rev-matching. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong?
Old 01-19-15, 11:51 AM
drbazing
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The down-shift rev match is not far from perfect. It's pretty good for what it is.
Old 01-19-15, 02:56 PM
AndrewP930
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Leviathan
Does anyone know if the 2015 IS 350 F Sport RWD rev-matches? I did a quick search for the 2014 IS brochure vs the 2015 IS brochure.

2014 Brochure:
"This is invigoration on demand. The eight-speed automatic transmission included in the IS 350 and IS 350 F SPORT rear-wheel drive models delivers seamless, lightning-fast gear changes and, when using the standard paddle shifters, features downshift rev-matching to help provide more precise shifting and quicker response"

I did notice the omission of rev-matching from the 2015 brochure. Hoping this is a marketing oversight.

Tried to test yesterday and noticed it still lurched instead of rev-matching. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong?
I have a 2014 IS350 Fsport. 100% sure it rev-matches. From my experience, it only lurches when I'm at lower rpms. For example, when i'm in 3rd at about 2k-2.5k rpm the downshift is sluggish and doesn't blip the throttle. When I'm in 3rd at 3k+rpm and downshift, the throttle blips instantly and the shift is crisp and smooth. (sounds pretty amazing when paired with a nice exhaust)

You have to just test it at different rpms and different speeds. I've gotten used to how my car revmatches now so all my downshifts are nice and smooth.

You'll still feel a slight lurch when it revmatches but definitely not to the point where you question whether the car can revmatch or not.

Hope this helps!
Old 01-19-15, 04:04 PM
RoiteTrom
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Leviathan

2014 Brochure:

Try driving faster? My car lurches when I downshift at low speeds like 30 mph or lower. Try it at 60-80 mph.

Quick Reply: Does the 3IS rev-match? [6 speed]