IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Does the 3IS rev-match? [6 speed]

Old 02-16-14, 04:27 PM
braddy
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok..come on guys. Blips the throttle to match the rpm = push the pedal to rev match on a M/T So It IS rev match!
Old 02-16-14, 04:30 PM
Lost808
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So when you clutch in, do your RPMs fall or not?
Old 02-17-14, 08:38 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 183 Likes on 130 Posts

Jesus Christ. Have none of you ever driven stick? If the car is blipping the throttle when you downshift, it's rev-matching. It's doing the same thing that I do when I boot the throttle with my heel on a downshift.

If the car doesn't lurch when you downshift at high rpm, it's rev-matching. If you hear the throttle blip when downshifting, it's rev-matching.

The 2IS lets the torque converter drag the RPMs up when you downshift. This is accompanied by an uncomfortable lurch. Aggravatingly, it would execute very nice, crisp rev-matched downshifts if left in automatic in ECT Power mode when braking hard. It's a shame they didn't bother to program that behavior into manual mode until the current generation
Old 02-17-14, 09:10 PM
Lost808
Pole Position

I have driven manuals in every car I have had for over 20 years. IMHO, that in the video does not look like a simple "blip" to me. The 8sp has sport direct shift, which does "blip" the throttle upon down shifts, and holds the gear when cornering. Not sure about the 6sp and still don't see it in that video. My 370 has what I call true rev matching (syncro rev) and blips in down, holds rpm for a few seconds when clutch in, and holds the rpm when up-shifting and doesn't matter what rpm or gear you are in. It can be disabled if wanted. Just my opinion....... Oh, and I do know how to heel-toe and keep my syncro rev turned off.
Old 02-18-14, 08:23 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Lost808
I have driven manuals in every car I have had for over 20 years. IMHO, that in the video does not look like a simple "blip" to me. The 8sp has sport direct shift, which does "blip" the throttle upon down shifts, and holds the gear when cornering. Not sure about the 6sp and still don't see it in that video. My 370 has what I call true rev matching (syncro rev) and blips in down, holds rpm for a few seconds when clutch in, and holds the rpm when up-shifting and doesn't matter what rpm or gear you are in. It can be disabled if wanted. Just my opinion....... Oh, and I do know how to heel-toe and keep my syncro rev turned off.
The reason it's not holding at rpm is because he's slowing down significantly, you can see needle dropping along with speed. It is rev matching.
Old 02-18-14, 08:36 AM
JGard18
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AdvanSLF
Rev match is only in the 8speed auto and ONLY occurs above a certain rpm, 5,000, I believe it is.l
It's well below that. In my experience, the lowest threshold is 2,500 RPM. Below that my car won't blip upon downshift, but over that it will.
Old 02-18-14, 09:40 AM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 183 Likes on 130 Posts

Synchro revmatch is for STICKS. Are you unaware that automatics work completely differently? Or that all 3ISs are automatic?

Your opinion is incorrect.
Old 02-18-14, 10:29 AM
JGard18
Pole Position

Yep, that video clearly you can hear that the throttle blips to get the revs up. In S+ mode this car locks the torque converter and while there are no synchros or true "gears" in an automatic, the clutches and brakes used to change over the sun gears in the auto transmission cut over fairly aggressively, too. The result is that you get shifts that can be unusually harsh for an automatic. The car needs to blip like it does or the result would be a much more dramatic decrease in vehicle speed and a slower increase in RPMs versus what you see in that video.
Old 02-18-14, 11:06 AM
Lost808
Pole Position

Originally Posted by panyo64
Synchro revmatch is for STICKS. Are you unaware that automatics work completely differently? Or that all 3ISs are automatic?

Your opinion is incorrect.
I am quite aware that manuals and auto are different and work differently, but thank you for that reminder

I was simply stating how the syncro rev works on my car, not saying how it should work on all cars...... Yes I know all 3IS's are auto.

Also, he says he has a 350 AWD which has the 6sp not the 8sp. The 8sp has the Sport Direct Shift that does blip the throttle for rev match. The 6sp does not have the SDS. Like I said in my post, I do not know if the 6sp rev matches and IMO it did not look like it in the video. Again, IMO.....
Old 02-18-14, 11:08 AM
gvan1998
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by JGard18
Yep, that video clearly you can hear that the throttle blips to get the revs up. In S+ mode this car locks the torque converter and while there are no synchros or true "gears" in an automatic, the clutches and brakes used to change over the sun gears in the auto transmission cut over fairly aggressively, too. The result is that you get shifts that can be unusually harsh for an automatic. The car needs to blip like it does or the result would be a much more dramatic decrease in vehicle speed and a slower increase in RPMs versus what you see in that video.
S+ mode is only available in 8 speed 350, but they are talking about 6 speed transmission which it does not have S+ mode.
Old 02-18-14, 11:16 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by gvan1998
S+ mode is only available in 8 speed 350, but they are talking about 6 speed transmission which it does not have S+ mode.
The S+ mode is not limited to 8 speed models. It is on F Sports with the 6 or 8 speed transmission.

I thought the only difference between S and S+ was the AVS and VGRS settings. Am I incorrect?

Last edited by JDR76; 02-18-14 at 11:20 AM.
Old 02-18-14, 11:49 AM
Lost808
Pole Position

Per Lexus site, the S+ mode is only available on the 350 F sport RWD/AWD. It is not on the 250 F sport.
Old 02-18-14, 12:02 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Per Lexus site, the S+ mode is only available on the 350 F sport RWD/AWD. It is not on the 250 F sport.
Correct, yes, that's what I meant, just not what I typed. ;-) It's on both 6 speed and 8 speed equipped 350 F Sports.
Old 02-18-14, 01:04 PM
Lost808
Pole Position

^
Sorry, my lysdexia kicked in
Old 02-18-14, 02:09 PM
redcupr
Driver

So, is this finally settled? Both 8 speed and 6 speed, AWD and RWD blip the throttle on manual downshifts thus rev-matching.

I have the AWD 350 F-Sport with the 6-speed. It, without any doubt, rev-matches on manual downshifts.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Does the 3IS rev-match? [6 speed]