IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Volk TE37RT - Angry Panda

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-14, 12:01 AM
r0shiro
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Volk TE37RT - Angry Panda

So what does every angry panda have?? bloody paws...

ok...so after months of waiting...here they are. Now i don't necessarily recommend the setup but with some additional work...it'll be ok... I'll explain.

These are the Volk TE37RTs. they come in a limited amount of sizes and offsets and I would say they probably cater to the wide body audience but i was stubborn and i just wanted these!! lol. I could've gone with the CE28s but cmon...TE37s!!! lol. anyways...

Size - 18x10 +39 all around. Let's talk about the good first. and to be honest...other than looks...not too many goods here.

Rear - i slapped on the Toyo R1Rs 265/35/18s. This is technically only one size bigger than the stock rears but man this are waaaay wider than the stocks. anyway...these fit "fine". Once they lowered the car it looked like it would've rubbed but with the natural camber it actually barely fits inside the well. so rear down...front to go.

Front - they put the rim on first to see if it would clear....aaaaannd it didn't...lol. i wasn't too surprised but i was hoping. lol. i would hit the (upper control arm?) not sure of the car part but it wouldn't clear without a 5mm spacer. with the spacer it was fine. I was going to also put a spacer in the rear but the fronts are just flush with the rear so its fine with me. with a spacer in the rear actually it wouldn't have fit. now the toyos couldn't be used because it wouldn't clear the fender OR the upper control arm. they had to remove the rear stock bridgestones and stretch them good over the TE37s. so they put the car on the floor and it fit in the well and it turned just fine...no rubbing.

The bad...lol - first of all...you need coil overs. thank god i had the J5s installed. even though i don't have a lot of rebound, when i hit a bump or small dip fast enough, i can hear the rear rubbing. from the looks of the rear tire, the camber lets it barely slip into the well but the inside of the fender is eating at the top of my tire wall. For the most part the front is ok...

The fix - i need to roll all fenders first of all. This alone will fix the rear. Might even need to shave the inside of the fenders. With pulled front fenders it'll make the fronts look like they are tucked in more than they are now. even though the front and rears stick out the same amount of length, the staggered fenders make the fronts look like they stick out further than the rear. just barely... =/ I eventually want to get rid of the spacer in the front so I'll reach out to Cusco or SPL to see if they're interested in making a better upper control arm so that wider and higher offset rims could fit. =)

overall I'm pretty stoked. I just need to modify a couple of things and I'll be ecstatic...lol.

first pic...the upper control arm that causes the clearance issues and the 5mm spacer.
other pics - rims and my car...lol. Enjoy!! I'll take some better pictures once i wash it and get it in the noon sun.
Attached Thumbnails Volk TE37RT - Angry Panda-img_1210.jpg   Volk TE37RT - Angry Panda-img_1208.jpg   Volk TE37RT - Angry Panda-img_1223.jpg   Volk TE37RT - Angry Panda-img_1226.jpg   Volk TE37RT - Angry Panda-img_1220.jpg  

Old 02-15-14, 02:39 AM
LexFather

Sick!! Great choice
Old 02-15-14, 06:32 AM
r0shiro
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexFather
Sick!! Great choice
thanks man!
Old 02-15-14, 06:34 AM
jdm_altzza
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks good man.. Love those wheels.
Old 02-15-14, 06:35 AM
larry13
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rosh been waiting...looks great
Old 02-15-14, 07:44 AM
tlr
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you think a lower offset rim would have fit better?
Old 02-15-14, 09:12 AM
afdavey
Driver

Originally Posted by tlr

A "higher" offset moves the wheel closer to the suspension... inboard
Old 02-15-14, 02:00 PM
Kwik8276
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by r0shiro
So what does every angry panda have?? bloody paws... ok...so after months of waiting...here they are. Now i don't necessarily recommend the setup but with some additional work...it'll be ok... I'll explain. These are the Volk TE37RTs. they come in a limited amount of sizes and offsets and I would say they probably cater to the wide body audience but i was stubborn and i just wanted these!! lol. I could've gone with the CE28s but cmon...TE37s!!! lol. anyways... Size - 18x10 +39 all around. Let's talk about the good first. and to be honest...other than looks...not too many goods here. Rear - i slapped on the Toyo R1Rs 265/35/18s. This is technically only one size bigger than the stock rears but man this are waaaay wider than the stocks. anyway...these fit "fine". Once they lowered the car it looked like it would've rubbed but with the natural camber it actually barely fits inside the well. so rear down...front to go. Front - they put the rim on first to see if it would clear....aaaaannd it didn't...lol. i wasn't too surprised but i was hoping. lol. i would hit the (upper control arm?) not sure of the car part but it wouldn't clear without a 5mm spacer. with the spacer it was fine. I was going to also put a spacer in the rear but the fronts are just flush with the rear so its fine with me. with a spacer in the rear actually it wouldn't have fit. now the toyos couldn't be used because it wouldn't clear the fender OR the upper control arm. they had to remove the rear stock bridgestones and stretch them good over the TE37s. so they put the car on the floor and it fit in the well and it turned just fine...no rubbing. The bad...lol - first of all...you need coil overs. thank god i had the J5s installed. even though i don't have a lot of rebound, when i hit a bump or small dip fast enough, i can hear the rear rubbing. from the looks of the rear tire, the camber lets it barely slip into the well but the inside of the fender is eating at the top of my tire wall. For the most part the front is ok... The fix - i need to roll all fenders first of all. This alone will fix the rear. Might even need to shave the inside of the fenders. With pulled front fenders it'll make the fronts look like they are tucked in more than they are now. even though the front and rears stick out the same amount of length, the staggered fenders make the fronts look like they stick out further than the rear. just barely... =/ I eventually want to get rid of the spacer in the front so I'll reach out to Cusco or SPL to see if they're interested in making a better upper control arm so that wider and higher offset rims could fit. =) overall I'm pretty stoked. I just need to modify a couple of things and I'll be ecstatic...lol. first pic...the upper control arm that causes the clearance issues and the 5mm spacer. other pics - rims and my car...lol. Enjoy!! I'll take some better pictures once i wash it and get it in the noon sun.
I wanted to get some coilovers but undecided if it's a good idea !! Do u recommend the ones u have or something else ?
Old 02-15-14, 02:19 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

didnt think to go 19s?
Old 02-15-14, 02:31 PM
TheShaddix
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The wheels look really really good, and the color is great, but just not on this car. They are track wheels for an evo/sti since they are a square setup. But I guess you liked them too much not to get them, which I can understand.
Old 02-15-14, 07:41 PM
r0shiro
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jdm_altzza
Looks good man.. Love those wheels.
Thanks!! and yup...

Originally Posted by larry13
rosh been waiting...looks great
lol...thanks...

Originally Posted by tlr
a lower offset would've given me a wider stance which would be great if i was going wide body. for the 5x114.3 bolt pattern i can only have a width of 10, 10.5 or 11inch. the 10inch comes in a +15, +29, and +39 (my size). the 10.5 and 11s have low offsets (wide body)

Originally Posted by afdavey
A "higher" offset moves the wheel closer to the suspension... inboard
yup...i think my front stock offset is +45 and these are +39...i still needed a 5mm spacer in the front to clear the suspension =/ a few more mods and they'll fit just fine

Originally Posted by Kwik8276
I wanted to get some coilovers but undecided if it's a good idea !! Do u recommend the ones u have or something else ?
i absolutely recommend the setup i currently have. I'm not sure on the release date but I'll find out for you. =)

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
didnt think to go 19s?
This particular model of the TE37 (RT) only comes in 17s and 18s and Porsche 18s. And then it gets even more limited. =/ no regrets though...
Old 02-15-14, 07:47 PM
r0shiro
Lead Lap

a few more pics i took today after a morning wash... btw...loving these volk racing lug nuts (black) on these TE37RTs... =)
Attached Thumbnails Volk TE37RT - Angry Panda-img_1232.jpg   Volk TE37RT - Angry Panda-img_1242.jpg   Volk TE37RT - Angry Panda-img_1241.jpg  
Old 02-15-14, 08:38 PM
silverAg
Rookie

cool combo
Old 02-15-14, 09:02 PM
Kwik8276
Lead Lap

Def keep me updated on the coilovers if u can ;-)
Old 02-15-14, 11:56 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Timeless Volk

Quick Reply: Volk TE37RT - Angry Panda