IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

-- Exterior Mirror Puddle LEDs Install (WITH PHOTOS) --

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-15, 11:11 AM
sirdonnie8
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just did mine, thanks for this DIY, at first i was scared to pull it, but just don't think about it, it won't break
Old 01-11-15, 01:46 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sirdonnie8
Just did mine, thanks for this DIY, at first i was scared to pull it, but just don't think about it, it won't break
That's what she said! jk I'll be scared to do it as well.
Old 01-11-15, 05:19 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok you guys caught me. My driver's side mirrow is fully disassembled but I have no idea how to check if LED puddle lights are working or not. How u activate puddle lights while it is still disassembled?. Approaching doesnt work now.
Old 01-11-15, 06:20 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Ok. I figured it. As an amature who never attempted to install puddle lights it is a faily difficult job to do, at least on my end. It got dark here so I closed while the side mirrow is not properly aligned. I will attempt one more time tomorrow.
Old 01-11-15, 08:08 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by salvadorik
Ok you guys caught me. My driver's side mirrow is fully disassembled but I have no idea how to check if LED puddle lights are working or not. How u activate puddle lights while it is still disassembled?. Approaching doesnt work now.
i think locking and unlocking or opening and closing the door will cause the puddle lights to turn on. Reassembling is a lot harder than disassembling the housing. What did the trick for me was alternating which screws i screwed in. going from one side to the opposite side. hope that makes sense
Old 01-11-15, 08:53 PM
RoiteTrom
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok. I figured it. As an amature who never attempted to install puddle lights it is a faily difficult job to do, at least on my end. It got dark here so I closed while the side mirrow is not properly aligned. I will attempt one more time tomorrow.
Reassembling in daytime is much better. I reassembled the mirrors in nighttime with a small flashlight and I realized I left gaps on the mirror. Waited the next morning and tried again, I got it right. If that doesn't help, you might want to call a friend to help you hold the pieces together while you screw them in so no gaps show.
Old 01-12-15, 11:39 AM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tea
i think locking and unlocking or opening and closing the door will cause the puddle lights to turn on. Reassembling is a lot harder than disassembling the housing. What did the trick for me was alternating which screws i screwed in. going from one side to the opposite side. hope that makes sense
Yes, it does. Thanks a lot. I will attempt to properly put together the mirror today and do the passenger side.
Old 01-12-15, 11:47 AM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RoiteTrom
Reassembling in daytime is much better. I reassembled the mirrors in nighttime with a small flashlight and I realized I left gaps on the mirror. Waited the next morning and tried again, I got it right. If that doesn't help, you might want to call a friend to help you hold the pieces together while you screw them in so no gaps show.
Yup yup that is exactly what I am trying to do today.

I just wanted to let everyone know, especially those who never attempted to replace the puddle lights. It is not an easy job to do as many stated on this thread. It is a relatively demanding project. So please do plan ahead of time how you are going to approach it.

Don't be afraid to pull the mirror. The way you do is first to raise the mirror so that the lower end of it tilted up. Then you put your fingers in that gap and try to pull the mirror up. Give it a moderate force and it snaps out.

I hope you guys will have easier and less frustrating time replacing puddle lights
Old 01-12-15, 11:59 AM
HIDPH
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To those who are attempting the installation themselves, the key thing is to be patient. Remove a few screws and make sure you are gentle and cautious throughout. We hope the DIY we've put together would be of some assistance/guidance in tackling the puddle light installation.
Old 01-12-15, 01:51 PM
kinglexus99
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How hard is it to snap the mirrors back into place? Does the white piece move around a lot making it more tricky or is it a simple align and push?
Old 01-12-15, 06:04 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nixx621
How hard is it to snap the mirrors back into place? Does the white piece move around a lot making it more tricky or is it a simple align and push?
Not very hard to snap the mirror back in place. Make sure you visually confirm that male and female spots are aligned properly (start with lower end and look from above) and then position the mirror parallel to white plastic thingy and then push the mirror by giving an even pressure to all areas.

That white piece does move around. The key is to position it perpendicular to the ground and given an even pressure. If you give more pressure, say, to right and less pressure to left side, it will move to the right side. You get the point here. So as HIDPH stated patience is important here.
Old 01-12-15, 08:48 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Yup yup that is exactly what I am trying to do today.

I just wanted to let everyone know, especially those who never attempted to replace the puddle lights. It is not an easy job to do as many stated on this thread. It is a relatively demanding project. So please do plan ahead of time how you are going to approach it.

Don't be afraid to pull the mirror. The way you do is first to raise the mirror so that the lower end of it tilted up. Then you put your fingers in that gap and try to pull the mirror up. Give it a moderate force and it snaps out.

I hope you guys will have easier and less frustrating time replacing puddle lights
It's actually not that bad after i did the first one. Did my driver side first, took about 30 minutes to get it to align properly. My passenger side took about 5 minutes for disassembling, changing the bulb, and reassembling the housing. I was pretty frustrated though doing the driver side and couldn't get it to realign properly.
Old 01-26-15, 07:19 PM
azfsport
Driver School Candidate

Did mine this weekend. The key to reassembly is to get it all pressed back together and lined up with no gaps before putting any screws back in. Trying to use the screws to pull the pieces together is very difficult.

Also, the bottom screw closest to door doesn't have to come out so it's really just 4 screws.
Old 02-22-15, 12:57 AM
i2fat
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone in SoCal wanna help a brotha out with this?
Old 03-07-15, 11:21 AM
i2fat
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just finished installing these.

Tip: Place the black plastic back on the car first and then put the painted housing on to close the side mirror. If you do it the other way around, it is a lot harder. Good luck!

Quick Reply: -- Exterior Mirror Puddle LEDs Install (WITH PHOTOS) --